Malfunctions....

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
xodar

Malfunctions....

Post by xodar » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:54 pm

What happens if a fembot malfunctions, either due to a mechanical or electronic glitch? I don't mean simply repeating some word over and over or some then pointless movement. They'll probably have metal or ceramic skeletons and more power than actually needed for female functions. What I mean is, what if her jaw clamps shut at an inconvenient moment, say? You could slug a real girl in the temple or grab her throat if you absolutely had to, but that would be meaningless to a robot and further harmful to you, if only to your hands.
Has anybody thought about such situations? Maybe you'd have an emergency remote with a button that made her completely relax and collapse? What if that function broke? Another robot to make her stop?
"You can believe me, because I never lie and I'm always right." -- George Leroy Tirebiter.
If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to hear it I don't give a rat's ass.
http://www.bbotw.com/product.aspx?ISBN=0-7414-4384-8
http://www.bbotw.com/description.asp?ISBN=0-7414-2058-9

ehy
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Post by ehy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:47 pm

In the scenarios I play there's always a remote with off and pause buttons, and I think that's likely to be the case when real fembots are devloped. But what makes you think they'd have more power than actually needed? If you're designing the fembot from scratch, you can give each "muscle" just the amount of strength you expect it to need. A fembot doesn't need to be able to bite a hunk of meat off a bone, so why should it's jaw be strong enough to do that? Some models might have extra-strong arms so they could lift and carry if desired, but stronger motors are going to be more expensive AND more risky than weaker ones, so why make them stronger than needed to serve the functions they're expected to serve?

Popular fiction generally imagines robots as being super-strong, super-fast, and so on, but I doubt it'll really be like that.

Post by 1001011001 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:25 pm

Nothing a strategically placed, but inconspicuous killswitch can't take care of.

xodar

Post by xodar » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:58 pm

Good thoughts.
A fembot needn't be any stronger than women are; strong but lightweight ceramic bones can work, and after all, they don't need jaws strong enough to crack walnuts or bite through chicken bones since they don't have to eat. I still have this image of machines as senseless and powerful.
I'd want them only as heavy as a female that looked like them would be.

I suppose you could have a machine-looking robot for lifting and carrying.
To avoid any buttons or such on an otherwise human appearing bot, the switch or switches might be where you'd hit a human to put her out of comission, and under the skin.

Perhaps this problem is an argument for conscious robots -- but then they'd be capable of deceit, resentment, sadism, etc. assuming these are inevitable results of human level intelligence. Maybe not.
Possibly their minds can be modeled on those of certain moderately retarded persons who for some reason are always good natured and pleasant....
"You can believe me, because I never lie and I'm always right." -- George Leroy Tirebiter.
If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to hear it I don't give a rat's ass.

droidlvr
Banned

Post by droidlvr » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:37 am

Nothing a strategically placed, but inconspicuous killswitch can't take care of.
I have in mind a few places where such can be placed. :wink:
I've often hoped that 1001011001's idea would be depicted in more asfr visual material. :)

darkbutflashy
Technosexuality: Transformation

Post by darkbutflashy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:32 pm

Well, a human female may hurt you in ill ways, too. I'm pretty sure a machine female without the ability to hurt me really wouldn't turn me on. It would be like sex with helpless persons.

Malfunctions:

Our bodies have a complex control hierarchy which allows some parts to fail while others work *perfectly* at the same moment. Moreover, the function of failed parts can be substituted by other parts on the spot -- backup ones like left and right extremities, or feet or mouth as help or backup for a hand. Our brain has a structure which is tolerant to really hard local failures like a cerebral aneurysm.

So the usual "malfunction" scene, where a fembot shuts down completely because of a single failure is kind of strange to me. A reminiscence to our clockwork girl lovers, maybe?

To me as a fembot not clockwork girl enthusiast, a plausible malfunction scene should involve her to be able to sneak out of her current problem and use/offer an alternative way to continue with the current action. This would emphasize she is an independendly viable lifeform, thus she was invented by some engineers.

dark
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!

xodar

Post by xodar » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:06 pm

A machine female that could hurt you would be like living with a chimpanzee. You could never trust it even if you are smarter, and if it's a machine without survival instincts it would be like a wild animal that doesn't consider safety.

I wouldn't want sex with helpless persons, either. I'm interested in willing and helpful persons. Having to struggle with someone every day is counterproductive and boring, just like having to struggle with neuroses or inhibitions. If you'd get anything done it would be in spite of conditions and you'd wonder how much more you might have accomplished.

The objective for me is to go beyond such nonsense. Wanting to go through one's high school social/sexual experiences over and over is much like wanting to be a preschooler again because everything you know now was a mystery and exciting. I'd prefer to stabalize such things, and move on to.....whatever. One of the interests fembots have for me is that having fought with women over preserving my own personality and the trite matters they bring up and finding that it bores me. Looking for someone you can deal, much less work with, is expensive and time consuming.

As exact a duplication of physical women as possible is fine, but not of contentiousness, the desire to fight because she can't think of anything else to do, and such. Those things are a real drag. In fact, I would consider them a malfunction.

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:18 pm

Now we are in a complete mess. I didn't wrote "would hurt you", but "has the ability to hurt you". And I didn't talk about disabled persons either, but *helpless* persons, eg. because she is underage or in dependent of the other person.

I'd prefer to stabalize such things, and move on to.....whatever.One of the interests fembots have for me is that having fought with women over preserving my own personality and the trite matters they bring up and finding that it bores me.
I'd like to backup this, as I made similar experiences. From today's point of view, I can say it was related just to my lack of experience in partner choice.

A fembot partner could be factory-programmed to be large-hearted. That's a feature all of us have to develop first -- some get it with 20, some with 30 years, some never --, a fembot in contrary could be supplied rapidly with enough information to get such a "mind".

As exact a duplication of physical women as possible is fine, but not of contentiousness, the desire to fight because she can't think of anything else to do, and such. Those things are a real drag. In fact, I would consider them a malfunction.
Agreed. For me, she should have the ability to fight me, but don't do it, as she *wants* to comply. Within a real partnership, someone has to comply at some point -- the trick is to maintain the balance.

dark
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!

xodar

Post by xodar » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:15 am

That makes a little difference. A pencil has the "ability" to hurt you. A dog can and even kill you -- but they do it less often than people's relatives.

Right now women are difficult because of legal favoritism. Opportunity presents itself so people -- of any sort -- will take advantage of it. No punishment=no manners, respect, honesty, and no honoring any laws or customs.

I don't have time to deal with that, much less an interest in such worthless struggles. A robot would be much easier to deal with, if slightly less satisfying because of some factors -- that including knowing it's just a machine.

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:57 pm

Well, then we have quite opposide positions on that matter. We'll better get back to the malfunction topic, I think.

Kind regards

dark

keraptis

Post by keraptis » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:46 pm

darkbutflashy wrote:Well, then we have quite opposide positions on that matter. We'll better get back to the malfunction topic, I think.
Wait, you didn't see the warning signs when you read "You could slug a real girl in the temple or grab her throat if you absolutely had to" in the original post?

That's a red flag in my book.

xodar

Post by xodar » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:03 pm

keraptis wrote:
darkbutflashy wrote:Well, then we have quite opposide positions on that matter. We'll better get back to the malfunction topic, I think.
Wait, you didn't see the warning signs when you read "You could slug a real girl in the temple or grab her throat if you absolutely had to" in the original post?

That's a red flag in my book.

I don't understand darkbutflashy's point, maybe a misunderstanding of what I wrote, but what do you expect one to do if an actual female tries to bite it off? Yell, "Thank you, ma'm"? Calmly explain that you understand the pain that motivates her to do that and that you sympathize but there are more effective ways to deal with inner troubles?

But I was concerned with what to do about a robot that malfunctions and my point there was that if you needed to you could put a live person out of commission fairly easily, but a machine might be a bit more difficult being metal or ceramic and plastic and having no survival instinct or sense of pain.

Lord of the Geeks

killswitch

Post by Lord of the Geeks » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:22 am

I agree that the safest thing is an innocuous, but easily reach hardware kill switch that cuts power to all systems immediately... it cant be on a remote that can be lost, or be well out of reach when needed. and it cant be a programmed keyword as if the software is crashing out, or something is shorting she may not "hear" or recognize the command. (though there should be some emergency stop verbal commands like "ouch" or "whoa" that cease the current activity for a minor malfunction.) while violent.. i somewhat agree with the top of the head, temple, or chest punch killswitch for practical reasons. 1. if you need to use it.. you'll be using it in a hurry, and need to be able to use it reflexively. natural human reaction to pain or attack is to hit back. 2. it has to be placed in such a way that it is not stuck and activated by normal activity.. it has to be in a place not normally hit, or touched, or must be struck in a way that is different from a normal touch... a punch switch satifiys these criteria.
Also as for preset strength.. you got to balance out individual tastes and wants in the abilities of a unit with mass prodution ability. There's a difference between being able to offer a feigned resistance and being able to rend you spine from you body. Odds are they would be capibile of a max stregnth, this would be reduced by software inhibitions. (a human woman, biologically should never lift more than around 25# as it can cause her damage)

not that it takes a whole lot of force to do serious damage to someone if its applied in the right place and way. I know girls that are 5' nothing... 110# and can drop a guy twice thier weight.

lets face it... if she is strong enough to carve a roast.. she's strong enough to carve you. or crush a windpipe...

xodar

Post by xodar » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:00 am

That's what I had in mind.
The consensus seems to be an emergency kill switch in some place you'd naturally hit a human. That makes sense to me.
I'd want the bot to weigh as much as the female she resembles, and possibly to be almost as strong because my idea is to resemble an actual human as closely as possible. Some things can be different: there's no reason she should be able to bite down particularly hard or for her to have sharp teeth.

I'm interested in being practical -- machines do malfunction -- and that requires being realistic: that is, not being politically correct.

keraptis

Post by keraptis » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:13 am

xodar wrote:what do you expect one to do if an actual female tries to bite it off?
Funny, not once in my life have I ever paused to consider that question. Just like I've never had to wonder how I'd handle my first day in prison.

Depending on the choices you make in life, you can really, really simplify the number of scenarios you really need to be prepared for.

:roll:

DeviBot31

Post by DeviBot31 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:25 am

keraptis wrote: Depending on the choices you make in life, you can really, really simplify the number of scenarios you really need to be prepared for.

:roll:

I suppose... If you're deciding not to get blowjobs in your lifetime... There's no way to determins how another human will act or react in a situation. And oftentimes, the craziest individual, will appear to be the sanest person alive until you get them into an intimate situation.
It doesn't really matter what decisions you make in life. You should ALWAYS be prepared for anything.

Just my two cents
This is what a 404 error feels like...

keraptis

Post by keraptis » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:28 am

Devibat wrote:I suppose... If you're deciding not to get blowjobs in your lifetime...
Replace "blowjobs" with "blowjobs from strangers" and you'll understand what I mean about choices and consequences.

M4R1A

Re: Malfunctions....

Post by M4R1A » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:35 pm

xodar wrote:What I mean is, what if her jaw clamps shut at an inconvenient moment, say? You could slug a real girl in the temple or grab her throat if you absolutely had to, but that would be meaningless to a robot and further harmful to you, if only to your hands.
xodar never quits.

Lord of the Geeks

killswitch2

Post by Lord of the Geeks » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:19 pm

keraptis wrote:
Devibat wrote:I suppose... If you're deciding not to get blowjobs in your lifetime...
Replace "blowjobs" with "blowjobs from strangers" and you'll understand what I mean about choices and consequences.
even living humans can malfuction.. a girl can have a seizure, a stroke, or a sudden psycotic break from a deeply repressed molestation episode in her early childhood, because you touch the top of her head in just the right way while some turkey is roasting... resulting in a very unexpected viloent repsonse...

xodar

Post by xodar » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:19 pm

The robot is an analog of the human, so one's initial response to it would be the same as to a human. The point here is to find out what people thought would be the best way to handle a malfunctioning fembot in an intimate situation.

Most people would try to get away from or attack a malfunctioning human. ("Get away from" includes trying to talk them out of it.) I suppose some people are so politically correct that their response would be to blame themselves for someone else's behavior.

No, I've never had this happen, though it's more likely with an "intimate" than a hired girl who hopes you'll hire her again unless she goes psycho or has a siezure; a seizure wouldn't be her fault unless she's supposed to take medication and didn't, but you'd still try to stop her. It's less likely that such an action, if deliberate, is the result of previous "victimization" than it is of someone just being pathologically aggressive or enjoying inflicting pain -- think of it as faulty wiring.

I don't worry about it happening. It just seems like something that could happen with a machine. I don't know if anyone here has worked much with actual mechanical machines with gears and belts, but I thought of this as something along the lines of getting a sleeve caught in gears and your arm being pulled into them, or a belt breaking and hitting you with tremendous force. Machines are senseless, dead objects.

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:38 am

...of getting a sleeve caught in gears and your arm being pulled into them, or a belt breaking and hitting you with tremendous force. Machines are senseless, dead objects.
Hm. A SOHO paper shredder maybe. There are far more dangerous machines, and these are equipped with a bunch of sensors to keep them safe and, to give you a point, most times there is an emergency stop button there.

But what about e.g. airplanes? Dangerous, but no kill switch, because it obviously makes no sense. Instead, a modern aircraft has triple or quadruple redundancy and diversity in it's systems, so a complete fault is kind of very very very unlikely. Most known aircrashs are with old planes which have only double redundancy, if any.

Nuclear power stations are the same. The nuclear fire cannot be stopped immediately by a kill switch, there is a need to cool down the core even if all other systems fail. That's why nuclear power stations have triple or quadruple redundancy and diversity in their systems, too.

Coming back to fembots, I think a kill switch would be an easy solution to protect against a malfunction. But it isn't the ultimate choice. As others pointed out, it may be too late to hit the switch, so you need a helping person. For machines where the kill switch is the highest level of protection, one is usually not allowed to operate the machine when alone.

So, for a fembot, a kill switch is an undesireable choice. Cheap models may have them, while better ones have redundant systems (even redundant and diversity CPUs etc.).

Kind regards

dark

xodar

Post by xodar » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:50 pm

That also makes good sense. Maybe another robot to help. It's possible but not real likely I'd want someone there in such a situation. I admit to having in the past done such things with other people around but it's not something I'd so readily do now.

Lord of the Geeks

killswitch

Post by Lord of the Geeks » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:28 pm

a plane doesnt have a killswitch because theres nothing a killswitch could do to stop it from hitting the ground. likewise with a nuclear reactor.. the nature of the beast doesnt lend to anything that can be quickly stopped.

nor am I saying that the killswitch is anything except the pentultimate response. there would be different various safeguards. A list of cease and desist commands as long as your arm... there's one story i'm reminded of here, where androids had had their protocols rewritten to allow them to harm humans.. but there were so many safe guards built into the voice commands, the protagonists were able to escape by shouting different "oh no" commands, trying to find some wierd one that had been skipped ("I'm allergic!" is the one that forced them into shutdown mode)
but a fembot is small and theres no reason she couldn't instantly go limp. a killswitch should be in the design, because no matter how many redundant systems there are, there is still the chance of all of them failing. (I'll throw in the idea of a computer virus designed to shut down all safeguard and send her into a killing rage. its at least possible if not likely) with the chance of personal harm so high, no compny would omit the killswith, if for nothing more than it reduces the chances of the company being sued for damages caused by a rampaging fembot.
government safety regulations would probably require them in early models and they would never leave the design. A few reasons to have them, no reason to not have them.

And unless you have a buy one get one free special on droids.... no one is going to buy a seond one, or hire a person to act as an attendent at all times. (if you did buy a second one... shes going to be helping out in more ways than standing guard)
I want a mechanical mordsith.

xodar

Post by xodar » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:09 pm

That's right. The killswitch and commands are the best option there. Of course if you get off on someone watching, another fembot could do that. Some problems might come up with her programming: is she going to be capable of telling sex activities from a malfunction? Pretty sophisticated. On rare occasions I've heard of dogs confusing sex with an attack (though they most often can and are indifferent to human sex).

Probably manufacturers will provide safeguards. The reason is that as fembots become more sophisticated and common religious people and many women will object to them, so the manufacturers won't want to run many risks.

Lord of the Geeks

Post by Lord of the Geeks » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:25 pm

Although if we let the gov regulate too much it will wind up bright red 5" across and on her forhead...
I want a mechanical mordsith.