The Expanse (TV series)

Share or request information and reviews on various forms of fembot media.
(Please use the search option before requesting a review as it may have been covered in the past)
Karel

Re: The Expanse (TV series)

Post by Karel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:45 am

Horribly overblown; the setting isn't really much better conceived than "Killjoys" or "Dark Matter", but "The Expanse" sure thinks it's high art, probably because it's succeeded in sucking all the fun out of the space opera. 'Just like "Battlestar Galactica" ', I'm sure is what they're thinking, except that "BSG" only prohibited its characters from having fun: it was still fun for the audience! With other shows, I can accept the absence of robots: "Killjoys" and "Farscape", for example, were both suitably vague and set sufficiently far away to make that absence plausible (though the latter happily muddied the waters near the end of its run). But yeah, a show set 200 years in our own future? With no "we went to war with them XX years ago and wiped them all out" backstory? I don't buy it.

Moxon

Post by Moxon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:19 pm

I watched it all and I enjoyed it. And this coming from someone who almost never watches basic cable. It's a little campy and "B" feeling at times sure, but the world feels plausible. I'm actually glad they didn't try and shoehorn a "kill all humans" war plot into it. It wouldn't have fit. It's more of a political thriller with some alien super race teasers thrown in. Not to say that some bot action wouldn't have been cool but it's really not necessary. Were it on HBO, Showtime or Starz I'd certainly expect more, but for a basic cable show I'd give it 3.5/5
"Whoso who would be a man must be a non-conformist."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

linzhang77

Post by linzhang77 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:22 am

I have read all three of the books two years ago.

The expanse series only have really TWO sifi elements. That is really efficient and powerful space engines and aliens.

Basically its quite a grounded hard science fiction with the story and plot of a movie. Humans don't have space magic here. All humans can do is what humans can do in real life right now, with only one exception. Thats it...

Moxon

Post by Moxon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Are the books worth reading?
"Whoso who would be a man must be a non-conformist."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson