Kickstarter Project "Her"

Share or request information and reviews on various forms of fembot media.
(Please use the search option before requesting a review as it may have been covered in the past)
FractalHeretic
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Kickstarter Project "Her"

Post by FractalHeretic » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:53 am

"These are the droids you're looking for."
www.robophilia.net

darkbutflashy
Technosexuality: Transformation

Re: Kickstarter Project "Her"

Post by darkbutflashy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:14 am

Neural Network App -> FRAUD

I've done a few neural networks for my own work and it's not a magical device which puts "intelligence" into anything. It's just a basic way an algorithm can find the most likely answer for a given set of input values. Without requiring any knowledge of the system. And this is where the fraud is. Anyone with a glimpse of knowledge of neural networks cannot claim more.

For a chatbot, we have knowlegde of the system. We know the possible chat paths. It's only tedious work to go to all these paths with human intelligence and build an expert system which has our knowledge built in. A neural network has very little use in such a setup. Most likely as an input processor which tries to deduct meaning from natural language. Then again, this is very small part of the problem and could be reduced e.g. by multiple choice inputs.
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!

FractalHeretic
Technosexuality: Built

Post by FractalHeretic » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:24 am

Hi DBF. Thanks for the info. Didn't Google train a chatbot using neural networks recently?
"These are the droids you're looking for."
www.robophilia.net

darkbutflashy
Technosexuality: Transformation

Post by darkbutflashy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:24 pm

That's exactly what I meant. "Neural Network" is just a new incomprehensible word with the right buzz. Because the buzz in the word "intelligent" is worn-out already.

A neural network is nothing more than an interpolated input->output mapping along with a learning algorithm. That algorithm works like a vocabulary drill, except the computer is a very very dumb student. It has no ability to find a system in the input data, it only has the ability to separate input patterns when you tell it "that input pattern should produce this output pattern". As soon you feel it has been drilled enough, you can feed previously unknown input patterns and see which of the output patterns it produces. When you find no runaway answers, you can take the computated table and put it into the product.

The major flaw neural networks have is they can't find any system in the input data patterns. They just memorize and approximate unknown input patterns to known ones. They are only a good choice if the pattern matching has no known system, which is very very rare.
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!