Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
dale coba
Technosexuality: Transformation
Identification: Human

Post by dale coba » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:59 pm

While watching t.v. and movies, if anyone notices any prominent, intentional, non-coincidental, artful examples of The Number, I would like to add them to my extensive collection.

Suffice it to say, the Wikipedia list of 42s in popular culture is only the tip of the iceberg.

One of my many favorites:
TNT's caper show [i]Leverage[/i] wrote:A woman goes into a pawnshop, wants $100 for her pawn.
Clerk doesn't agree, says he can offer her $42.
Woman proposes $90.
Clerk sticks to $42.
Woman asks for $80
etc.
Where any old number would have been fine, we get one assignment of the number 42, invoked seven times with the rationale of the pawn negotiation. This 42 is an invisible irrelevance to most viewers, but if you know the game, it's a hilarious example of hiding in plain sight (sound, actually).

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Re: 42

Post by Spaz » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:01 pm

What about the number 47?...it's used a multitude of times in Star Trek and other sci-fi shows.
Check out my stories: https://www.fembotwiki.com/index.php?title=User:Spaz

Current story status: The Small Business Chronicles: Season Two | The Doctor is in - The Clinic (In progress...)

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:01 pm

47 has become "the bad thing".

Agent Carter, episode 8 - 47 dead in the theater riot.
(three episodes of the eight had 42s, plus it's from Marvel (big 42s))

I have seen several examples of 47s (outside of the multitude in ST:TNG and etc.), but they cast 47 in an inferior light, often in conjunction with a 42 bestowed on something better or trumping the 47.

Personally, I watched each episode of TNG 4 times when it aired, situated as I was halfway between the NYC and Philly t.v. markets, watching with a room full of highly qualified Trek nerds. I read the USENET groups. I never saw or read or heard about the 47s.

EPIC FAIL. 47 is beneath me, cursed by an artless history.

I watched ALL of Trek - my very first personally observed 47 was last week, now that I know to look for them.

J.J. Abrams is the most obsessive practitioner of 42-ism. His one season of Alcatraz had a 42 in at least half the episodes. He runs Trek now, for worse and for better. I think 47 is just about out of supporters.

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

King Snarf
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by King Snarf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:30 pm

Personally, I've noticed 37 shows up a lot.

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:37 pm

37 is a pretty good number, King Snarf.

I wouldn't deny that. It's prime, and that seven feels sharp and arbitrary. I can't say as I've noticed any pattern or practice of 37 usage, but a fundamental principle of my investigation is that 42 has a distinct history of usage (going back 150 years to Lewis Carroll, then pretty much skipping ahead to Douglas Adams, and from there on to all creative people who understand the character that has been bestowed upon 42). Surviving arbitrary whimsy and cruelty are those authors' breath and blood. Inane social customs and bureaucratic nightmares - and yet look at our humor. I like how far down the goodness goes in my tribe. We have not turned away, we turn towards the nightmare to mine it.

A 37 cannot communicate anything unless the viewers have a pre-existing relationship with the number.

- Dale Coba

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:25 pm

Just spotted 10 minutes ago, Scorpion on CBS.

The poisoned prime minister has not yet succumbed, but it was clearly stated that his pulse was down to 42 bpm. I suppose the fact that he survived at all is supposed to be lucky in a 42 sort of way, but I'm not sure I agree with the usage. Earlier this season there was a 42 used in a very similar situation, with a boy trapped in an underground cave which was collapsing.

- Dale Coba

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:43 pm

King Snarf wrote:Personally, I've noticed 37 shows up a lot.
Forever, ABC, S1E10

"You haven't driven a car in 37 years!"

- Dale Coba

NukuNookee

Post by NukuNookee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:49 am

37 in pop culture is likely a "Clerks" reference:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=37

From this scene (note: graphic language and description of an unusual sex act):

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cf8_1316916641

It's also a source (or example) of the "oral sex isn't real sex" meme...
Gynoid Conversion, how can we make you better today?
Latest version 38 beta here. Alternate site here.

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:00 pm

NukuNookee wrote:37 in pop culture is likely a "Clerks" reference:
Good to know; though, to state the obvious,
and not that you were implying,
but in this instance "Clerks" is certainly not the 37 source for an episode of "Forever" on ABC. They are worlds apart, culturally; and referring to his driving record, there was no sexual theme.

Here's a great 42 coincidence - which is the opposite of intentional artistry.

I told one person about the 42 pulse rate in the Scorpion episode, and he revealed that he has been taking his pulse when he is barely awake, the middle of the night, lying down - establishing a baseline lowest value. Reliably, his pulse number has been 42.

- Dale Coba

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:46 am

The Simpsons S26E17

"Guys, you're both right."
#37 #47 and #42.

in sequence:

#37 is interesting;
but then #47 - and then #42 above #47.

Ha-ha-ha-ha! 42 Rules, 47 Drools!

Later in the episode that were about forty examples of #42 on Homer's race car roof and doors, as seen from various camera angles. That's one use in the plot, but yielding many entirely justified and diverse pictures of the number.

Let no one doubt the power of my keen insight! Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha.
I am the Simpsons King; I can foresee anything!

- Dale Coba

daphne
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Android

Post by daphne » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:00 pm

daphne
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Android

Post by daphne » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:02 pm

From the article:
There is a club at Pomona called The 47 Society, which claims that there exists a mathematical proof that all numbers are equal to 47, and that the number 47 occurs with greater frequency in nature than other numbers - 74 makes frequent reappearances as well.
Of course, this is really just a bowdlerization of the Law of Fives:

http://discordia.wikia.com/wiki/Law_of_Fives