Terminology

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.

What's your preferred term for a machine designed to look and act like a human female?

Gynoid
9%
Android
33%
Robot
6%
Mech
No votes
Mecha
3%
Robo
No votes
Fembot
30%
Girlbot
No votes
Doll
6%
Something else
12%

Total votes: 33

ehy
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Terminology

Post by ehy » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:58 pm

Question's pretty self-explanatory, I think. Just curious.

EHY

KOS-MOS
Retired staff member

Post by KOS-MOS » Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:19 pm

I voted "something else" as I do not have a favourite term, use the above terms interchangeably and sometimes even use other words like "robotgirl" and "synthdoll" as terms for such machines.

Despite being free with my use of many terms I do have a least favourite. For some reason the word "gynoid" rubs me the wrong way, it stirs up images of butch feminists in my mind. It seems like a word for people who think "mankind" is sexist. I am, however, guilty of using "gynoid" from time to time as it is so frequently used by others.

tectile

Post by tectile » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:54 am

I also voted for "Something else" even though I don't really object to any of the terms used. It just depends on the context.

I have to agree with Sabina, The term "Gynoid" has always made me a little unconfortable too.

Doctor in white lab coat.

"I'm sorry miss, You have a gynoid sist about the size of a golf ball. That will have to come out rite away".

Here is what I think of when I read or hear the terms in your list.

Gynoid. See above.

Android or female android. Nice general term.

Robot. Generic. No trong impression.

Mech. I think Cyberpunk.

Mecha. Cyberpunk too.

Robo. I think Robocop, Robosaurus, robobeast etc.

Fembot. Can't shake the association with the bionic woman.

Girlbot. Always strikes me as funny. I don't know why.

Doll. Passive, sextoy sort of android.

Baron

Post by Baron » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:48 am

Something else: female robot. Descriptive; avoids Bionic Woman / Austin Powers connotation (unlike its' contraction); sounds sexy. No chance for confusion with dolls, or any other type of synthetic woman. And I heard - and understood - the term "robot" long before any of the others (android, cyborg, etc.). For me, mechanical women are female robots.
Assemble the ladies? I didn't know that they were broken......

keraptis
Technosexuality: Transformation

Post by keraptis » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:23 am

I agree with the Baron ... "female robot" or simply "robot" is the best description for me. Gets right at the heart of the matter for me.

It should not (?) be news to anyone that "android" is (strictly speaking) a male-specific term and that's why "gynoid" was coined. Sorayama's use of the word must also be a factor in its adoption ... but then again, his first book was called simply "Sexy Robot" and to me you couldn't ask for a more succinct description of exactly what appeals to me.

To me, "gynoid" and "fembot" are not real words that anyone in the real world knows (Austin Powers aside), and so I never use them in the dialogue in my stories. "Mech" and the rest are too cyberpunk to be really appealing. "Android" is a nice way to make clear that we're talking about a robot in human form, but I find it much less compelling than "robot." I think the reason why is simple ... "android" implies to me a machine designed to approximate a human being, like Commander Data, while "robot" is the best word to describe the machine-like behavior of a human being who is being transformed into (or discovered to be) a machine. Or just pretending to be one -- e.g. "the robot dance" featured in Molly Shannon's film "Superstar" and the "Charlie's Angels" movie.

BethBot0101
Banned

Post by BethBot0101 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:08 pm

I like Fembot but, think of it as just shorthand for "Female robot"
World Domination through transformation.

kb7rky

Post by kb7rky » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:44 am

I've sort of gotten used to "gynoid", since it was Noidguy who coined the phrase (correct me if I'm wrong). :mrgreen:

Android - well, Data (on TNG) was classified as an android, as he looked like Dr. Noonian Soong. Lal, on the other hand, didn't look like Data. She was given the chioce to choose her sex and appearance. Other than that, I was always led to believe an android was supposed to look like his/her creator (anyone remember "The Lost Saucer?") :lol:

Fembot - Most of us here on FF and GG were children of the 70's and 80's, so of course we can identify with The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman. That's the term we've had drilled into our hormone-crazed heads

Given a choice...well, anything I've listed is acceptable to me. Those other terms seem derogatory and mechanical-sounding.

In a nutshell, I'd say we all have our personal preferences about how to refer to the source of this topic.
C'mon over & check out my other webpage:

The First Church Of Buster

And, the homepage:

Mythbusters Fan Club.com

Miss Silver Karakuri

Post by Miss Silver Karakuri » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:55 pm

I like the term Gynoid, but Fembot, Female Robot, Karakuri (Although thats more clockwork/windup than robot but very similar) and terminology like that. Personally I like terms that if I tell someone they are going to understand if they don't know so I sometimes say robots, because I would have to explain Gynoid. Robot by itself is too impersonal and without character, as I heard WinterRose once say "I don't get turned on by Rosie on the Jetsons" so I like to give a gender to it.

I thought Sorayama came up with Gynoid however.
Miss Silver Karakuri

keraptis
Technosexuality: Transformation

Post by keraptis » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:15 pm

silverkarakuri wrote:I thought Sorayama came up with Gynoid however.
His book "The Gynoids" is the first place I ever saw the term ... much as I'd love to give Noidguy the credit, Sorayama beat him to it. Of course, Sorayama's not a native English speaker so I doubt he is the actual individual to coin the phrase either. But he popularized it, at least within his audience (us).

Miss Silver Karakuri

Post by Miss Silver Karakuri » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:18 pm

Oh that he did oh that he did, I always admired his work before I knew why I found his work so damn sexy.
Miss Silver Karakuri

BethBot0101
Banned

Post by BethBot0101 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:00 pm

When I first read "gynoid" I thought "guy noid".

So, I though what is a Guy noid, am male droid?
World Domination through transformation.

KOS-MOS
Retired staff member

Post by KOS-MOS » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:16 pm

The term "gynoid" was created by the female British SF writer, Gwyneth Jones, and developed by another British SF writer, Richard Calder who lives in Thailand. Later made popular by artist Sorayama.

It also happens to be the name of a fat distribution pattern on the human body. Gross.

noidguy
Retired staff member

Post by noidguy » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:38 pm

Sorayama did not originate the term 'gynoid', but he did popularize it to some extent. I came across the word (the term 'gyndroid' also appears) in books and articles before I had heard of Sorayama. And I must say I am not completely comfortable using the term either. In fact, I don't believe I've ever spoken it out loud. 8)

Android would seem to be the most technical and popular term these days in movies and television. But I still associate it with males.

Fembot is a nice, fun word. Kinda goes along with fuzzy dice, slinky, and Pez dispensers. Must've been the era.

Two terms that weren't mentioned (or were they and I missed them?) are 'synthoid' and 'inorganic'. The first was used in "Crash and Burn", and the second in the Outer Limits episodes "Valerie 23", and "Mary 25."

Then there's 'dynamitard' from "The Annihilator". I still haven't figured that one out. Seems to be a Scandinavian folklore term. Any help on this one?

ehy
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by ehy » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:13 pm

"Inorganic." Jeez. I dislike that one so much I didn't even think of it. (OK, I don't like gynoid or mech* either.) I also didn't think of "sim" either, which I've seen used occasionally.

I don't know how to pronounce "gynoid" either. "Jigh-noid" or "guy-noid?" Or we could be French, and try "zhee-nwah". :-) Or, as I do, just not use it.

EHY