When good TV happens to bad actors

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
tmc_6882

When good TV happens to bad actors

Post by tmc_6882 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:11 pm

From January Jones to Stana Katic

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/30/tvs_gift_to_bad_actors/

Television is the perfect medium for terrible actors.
Because an audience can contextualize bad acting, it comes at no real cost to the show. Jerry Seinfeld and his always-about-to-laugh, isn’t-it-crazy-I’m-on-camera face may have been one of the most consistently mediocre acting performances of all time, and it didn’t hurt “Seinfeld” much, if at all. We all know people who are always about to laugh at their own jokes, right? (Thinking up other mediocre actors who didn’t ruin their shows over the course of TV history is a pretty fun game: The category includes, but is certainly not limited to, Mischa Barton in “The OC,” Billy Campbell in “Once & Again,” and Mel Harris in “Thirtysomething.”) “Mad Men” would be an entirely different show if January Jones were a warmer, more charismatic performer, but it’s hard to argue it would be better. Despite Katic’s robotic performance, I still wish Nathan Fillion’s character would give her a big ol’ smooch. And with all those gangbusters scenes with Mr. and Mrs. Coach, it took about three seasons for it even to become clear Teegarden was out of her depth.

King Snarf
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Re: When good TV happens to bad actors

Post by King Snarf » Fri May 04, 2012 5:27 pm

Hell, I loved Mystery Science Theater 3000, and Joel either seemed asleep, high, or ready to crack up at a moment's notice, often all three at once.

TheSpotConlon
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Re: When good TV happens to bad actors

Post by TheSpotConlon » Sat May 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Pssh, fuck anybody who says anything bad about Billy Campbell. The Rocketeer could do no wrong.