Favorite band or genre?

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
csoloist

Re: Favorite band or genre?

Post by csoloist » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Ugh, my old "fave" band (DMode) have been sucking hard for over a decade. :cry:

Listen to a variety of stuff - Melodic speedmetal ala old Sonata Arctica, Wintersun or old CoBodom and Folkier stuff like Skyclad, Ensiferum or Korpiklaani. Big soft spot for 80s synthpop. Also 90s/2000s electronica like BoC, Richard James, Plaid, Squarepusher and all the other WARP records acts and obviously related trip-hop stuff. Some older industrial like Front242, Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, KMFDM, NIN or more recently Haujobb. Prog like Zombi or Ozric Tentacles and trancier stuff like Hallucinogen, Shpongle or OTT. Special mention of DBowie. Classics (esp baroque), organ muzak, medieval chant/polyphony. Plenty of modern movie (and sometimes game) soundracks like Conan, Robocop, Dune or C&C. Loads of other stuff besides, this is off the top of my head.

xodar

Post by xodar » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Like Dale Coba I generally have to have words to music. There is some music I can listen to that doesn't have words, but perhaps less so. Basically I listened to less and less music in the 80s. That has nothing to do with the quality of the music, and I liked a lot of 80s music, but with the fact that your hearing declines with age even if you don't notice it. Probably I can't hear some things I could before that, which my ear nose throat doctor told me was so.
But my musical taste developed partly politically and partly on some aesthetic or feeling basis. As a kid I actually listened to classical, pop, and what's now called country/western. Around age 12 I became more rock and pop oriented because that was right when the Civil Rights movements started and country/western fans were precisely the ones who opposed integration and made it a point to use the so-called "N" word. I developed a dislike for that genre till I was well into my 30s. I somewhat substituted folk music for it during that craze because it had words that told coherent stories.
By then I was again listening to music on some aesthetic basis and because I associated it with things. I also all along liked Middle Eastern music. It would be much the same now if I actually sat and listened to music but I seldom do. I like much 80s music but can hardly recall the name of any band or individual, which I can easily do for the 50s through the 70s. Such is the arc of life.

Oh, yes, New Age. I did enjoy that, too.
Last edited by xodar on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can believe me, because I never lie and I'm always right." -- George Leroy Tirebiter.
If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to hear it I don't give a rat's ass.
http://www.bbotw.com/product.aspx?ISBN=0-7414-4384-8
http://www.bbotw.com/description.asp?ISBN=0-7414-2058-9

gynoneko
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Cyborg

Post by gynoneko » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Well.... favorite band... too many to list.. and I keep adding to it.....

Queen
Pink Floyd
They Might Be Giants
Oingo Boingo
Ayreon
Dream Theater
Porcupine Tree
Beatles
Daft Punk
Weird Al
Green Day
Yoko Kanno
The Seatbelts
Gorillaz
XTC
Dukes of Straosphere
Owl City
Jonathan Coulton
Duran Duran
Tempest

College Rock
Classic Rock
Celtic Rock
Classical Music
Soundtracks
Musicals
Swing Music
J-Pop
I don't like most rap... but some I like.

I am only scratching the surface here...
My heart and soul locked up in a cold steel frame
- Brian May

Esomark
Identification: Human

Post by Esomark » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:38 pm

I guess I'll make some lists, too. When in Rome!

Most favorite:
Black Sabbath
Buddy Holly (distantly related to him, believe it or not)
Melvins
Type O Negative
Amorphis
Swans
Godflesh
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Faith No More
Mr. Bungle
Fantomas
Tomahawk (Cherokee and Apache are part of my blood line, btw)
Ministry
Prong
Mastodon
Meshuggah
Neurosis
Cephalic Carnage
Corrosion of Conformity
Helmet
King's X
Black Flag
Bad Religion
Sonic Youth
Monster Magnet
Clutch

Honorable mentions:
Primus
Infectious Grooves
Killing Joke
Lords of Acid
Hüsker Dü
Flipper
The Pixies
Gwar
Fear Factory
Led Zeppelin
Saint Vitus
Ramones
Soundgarden

Bands/musicians I want to hear more from:
Allan Holdsworth (I've been learning some of his techniques from my guitar teacher)
Michael Hedges
More New Age in general, really
Herbie Hancock and jazz fusion in general
More industrial, ambient, etc. I know Ministry well but not Revolting Cocks
Yoko Kanno

barakuda

Post by barakuda » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:33 am

Best Band ever the Beatles. I love the 60's psychadelic sound. Also like most 60's British Invasion stuff. Kinks Zombies Who.I also like Motown. 80's new wave like Talking Heads ,The Violent Femmes. David Bowie Pink floyd. Newer Bands I like Pearl Jam,Red Hot Chillipeppers,Nirvana,Radio Head. But i like the 60's sound best. Epcially the Beatles and most of thier individual solo stuff. Cant forget Bob Dylan or the Doors

minkwheel

Post by minkwheel » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:19 am

WOW! --I have so many favorites, too many to list, and I also want to check out many of the bands LISTED here to widen my horizons---future favorites to be had--so I love this kind of post, really. Okay....a short list of favorites DEVO!!! THE AQUABATS, DAVID BOWIE, DAVID BENOIT, QUEEN, OINGO BOINGO, THE DICKIES, WEIRD AL!!!!! THE PHENOMENAUTS, RAMONES, THE CLASH, JOE JACKSON, ELVIS COSTELLO, BARENAKED LADIES...I do miss STEVE though---------so many more....LOVE most of MOTOWN......and as far as the best concerts I've been to this past year, have to go to ROD STEWART, and PRINCE..............hands down, two of the most entertaining shows I have EVER been to.
...From my HEART and from my HAND
WHY don't people understand my intentions?

Saya
Identification: Android

Post by Saya » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:02 pm

My own music tastes are all over the place. I mostly go by a song-by-song basis and I don't stick to any particular bands. But my parents got me started early on rock-n-roll, especially metal. So, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses, Van Halen and etc, though I typically only like a few of their songs. If I had to pick one band who's songs I like consistently, it's Clearance Clearwater Revival.

From this century, however...lessie...I rather like Avenged Sevenfold, the occasional Three Day's Grace. It's a bit tricky to keep up on more modern music out where I live. The internet is unreliable and the radio has three stations. One religious, one from a city which is rather static-y, and one (gulp) country station. And the one from the city? Classic rock.

*doomed*

But I have music ranging from N.W.A to Johnny Cash to the Red Army Choir. I like to think my tastes are varied!
"If the time should ever come when what is now called science, thus familiarized to men, shall be ready to put on, as it were, a form of flesh and blood, the Poet will lend his divine spirit to aid the transfiguration, and will welcome the Being thus produced, as a dear and genuine inmate of the household of man."
- William Wordsworth

Sentient6
Technosexuality: Transformation

Post by Sentient6 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:46 pm

My tastes are pretty wide ranging. I won't deny that my biggest soft spots are for prog and metal (which seems to be the case for several who have posted here), but there's so much great music everywhere regardless of genre. I'm hesitant to even post a list of faves cuz it would be too long :p

I'm really happy to see that someone mentioned Rainmaker. I love that song so much!

Sega-boy

Post by Sega-boy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Digging these playlists, except maybe Yanni. I'm impressed to see the many facets of Patton.
Kishin's list is definitely off the beaten path, except for Ladytron, Rammstein & Skrillex perhaps. (That would be a fun team-up).
Not too familiar with the list fromThe Egg either, but if The Future Sound of London and MLWTTKK is on there, then I'll have to give the rest a listen sometime.

So nobody wants to own up to Genesis?
The Police?
Anthrax?
Korn?
Dandy Warhols?
Garbage?
Beck?

I see Soundgarden, but no Alice in Chains???

For me, the Beatles, Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper started it all.

So far the best concert I've attended has been Rammstein, however, I fulfilled a life-long dream when I saw the Rolling Stones perform live.
As for this year, Rob Zombie's touring with Megadeth. AWESOME

And I think one of the most underrated bands was Curve.
Last edited by Sega-boy on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn for SEGA.

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:08 am

As stated in a previous thread, I'm a Gowan fan, so...yeah. 8)
"No one steals our chicks.....and lives!"

sweet860

Post by sweet860 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Beck
Phoenix
Giraffes? Giraffes!
Belle & Sebastian
Coheed and Cambria
At the Drive In

just to name what ive been going over the last couple of days

King Snarf
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by King Snarf » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:37 am

Sega-boy wrote:So nobody wants to own up to Genesis?
I like some Genesis. Though I will say I like Peter Gabriel more. Either group, though, needs to get added to the Rock Band game.
The Police?
Hells yes! I prefer their earlier stuff, with all the songs about unrequited love and suicide and generally fast upbeat songs about being depressed.

Cepheid
Identification: Cyborg

Post by Cepheid » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:46 am

Electronic; so much electronic. Especially psychedelic electronic.

Favourite artists are probably:
Carbon Based Lifeforms
Shpongle
Mind.in.a.Box
Liquid Stranger
Freq
Neelix
Tycho
Younger Brother
Shulman
Ott

And then I also like Tool and A Perfect Circle, Katatonia, Dimmu Borgir, and Árstíðir for non-electro. And Daft Punk for the songs that sound like robot love. :)

RancidInsanity

Post by RancidInsanity » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:30 am

Daft Punk, Wolfgang Gartner, Deadmau5, Technoboy, Tuneboy, Skrillex

Yeah I love all forms of electronic music.
...Nolo Contendere

Sentient6

Post by Sentient6 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:21 pm

To answer your question, Sega-Boy, I LOVE Genesis (Gabriel era anyway. Collins era is hit-or-miss for me, but some of that stuff is still really good). I've also been a Beck fan for years, though I don't listen to him nearly as much as I did in high school. Alice in Chains are also a long time favorite for me.

fembot_stalker

Post by fembot_stalker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:04 am

Here is my list of my tastes in music:

1. NEAS (non-percussive electronic ambient space) or New Age music ( http://www.internet-radio.com/station/pvc-ambient/ ) and experimental/noise electronic music ( http://www.lawrence.com/radio/genre19/ ).
2. Different forms of EDM (electronic dance music) such as electronica, techno, drum and bass, dubstep, trance, ambient, bass, house, (classic) disco, (classic) funk, chillout/lounge, etc. ( http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide )
3. Rock music - industrial , metal ( all degrees and types ), punk , classic, alternative, oldies, rockabilly (punkabilly), "doo wop" (Motown), noise, Condfederate/Southern, Woodstock, etc. Check out these guys: "Bodybuilders With Gun" by Low On Insanity
4. Folk/Country music - folk (Celtic, American, Latin, Hawaiian), bluegrass, country (old school, new school, "alternative"), rockabilly, "bug" music, mountain music, Australian oboe music (or whatever that long, strange-sounding and flute-like musical instrument is that those outbackers blow into, but it's nice) and some countrypop ( "Giddy On Up" by Laura Bell Bundy ).
5. Blues/Old School R&B - blues (traditional, modern, gospel, secular), zydeco, old school soul/rhythm and blues (1950s to the early 1980s) and go-go music ( Chuck Brown ) . I like Maze featuring Frankie Beverly a lot too.
6. Classical music - orchestrated, chamber, patriotic/march, instrumentals (pipe organ, piano, harpsicord, xylophone, cello, percussion, harp, violin, etc.), baroque and "alternative" ( STOMP ).
7. Jazz - traditional (Duke Ellington), bebop, modern, jazz-funk , acid ( Roy Ayers ) and smooth .

Of course, I do occasionally hear lots of international/World music (that is, music that is created outside the USA) - like some of that from Africa or the Middle East, but I typically revolve around those first seven main types of music. (I pretty much covered darn near everything already, didn't I?) Sometimes, I may hear about artists and tunes from certain other types of music that I really don't care for, but I usually tend to forget about them later. If there is any one type of music that I would like to learn how to perform the most it would be the type of music that I usually like to refer to as NEAS music. Just like with techno and rave music, I like the laser lights and stuff that a few of the NEAS musicians deploy while giving their concerts - it's awesome! If I were a NEAS musician, I would take it a step further - I would deploy one or two fembot (female robot) dancers to accompany me while I play my NEAS music on stage.

What about the rest of you all? Who is your favorite musician/artist and what is currently your favorite song? 8)
Last edited by fembot_stalker on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(alt.sex.fetish.robots) AI and UFOs are spreading all over the Globe! 2 see more, just visit us at Malestrom1000's Youtube Channel. Thank you 4 visiting us as we get closer 2 creating our (female) repairbots, (giant) r⊙b⊙t gladiatrices, fembots, sexbots & h⊙b⊙ts; now how pimpadelic is that? :transformer: :rockon: :thumbsup: :nerd: :D :) :-o 8) :lol:

Sentient6

Post by Sentient6 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:38 pm

I believe this is the Australian instrument you were referring to. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijeridooo

Lately I've been listening to Peter Gabriel and Sieges Even a lot.

fembot_stalker

Post by fembot_stalker » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Sentient6 wrote:I believe this is the Australian instrument you were referring to. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dijeridooo

Lately I've been listening to Peter Gabriel and Sieges Even a lot.
Thanks, Sentient6! You are the Greatest! That's exactly the instrument that I was referring too. Also, I want to point out that I find it interesting that, given the main subject of this forum (fembots or female robots), a large number of forum members - myself included - listen to some form of electronic music or other type of (weird) music that heavily uses computers. I wonder why? :|

Also, as far as particular songs are concerned, I like various songs from various types of music as far as male deejays/performers/artists are concerned, but as for the female musicians, probably the 2 songs that I like the most are "I Will Stand By U" by Carrie Underwood and "(I Will) Cater 2 U" by Destiny's Child . (It is kind of hard to believe that the now egocentric and materialistic BKC once recorded a song with lyrics like the ones in the video!) Well, I hope that you all enjoy both links! :oops:
Last edited by fembot_stalker on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
(alt.sex.fetish.robots) AI and UFOs are spreading all over the Globe! 2 see more, just visit us at Malestrom1000's Youtube Channel. Thank you 4 visiting us as we get closer 2 creating our (female) repairbots, (giant) r⊙b⊙t gladiatrices, fembots, sexbots & h⊙b⊙ts; now how pimpadelic is that? :transformer: :rockon: :thumbsup: :nerd: :D :) :-o 8) :lol:

Deep Blue

Post by Deep Blue » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:46 am

Tai chi Beyond

fembot_stalker

Post by fembot_stalker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Deep Blue wrote:Tai chi Beyond
Is that supposed to be ambient New Age music? :?: :hypnotized: