Doctor Who: The End of Time Part 1

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
DukeNukem 2417
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Doctor Who: The End of Time Part 1

Post by DukeNukem 2417 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:21 pm

The first part of the two-part season finale is on BBC America tomorrow night at 9 eastern, 8 central. Any Doctor Who fans here are welcome to comment on the end of David Tennant's tenure as the Doctor and the future of the longest-running sci-fi program on the planet.
Elvis Lives. Not in this timeline, but in quite a few others.
I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been.

Rotwang

Post by Rotwang » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:39 pm

Dr Who hit off with a huge bang once again, partially ruined by RTD's habit of writing those "super mega end of life, the universe and everything apocalypses" resolved by a "very clever"* Deus Ex Machina.

I'm glad a new guy is taking over.

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:35 am

Rotwang wrote:Dr Who hit off with a huge bang once again, partially ruined by RTD's habit of writing those "super mega end of life, the universe and everything apocalypses" resolved by a "very clever"* Deus Ex Machina.

I'm glad a new guy is taking over.
So you've seen it already?

Sthurmovik
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Android

Post by Sthurmovik » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:44 pm

I can't believe Tennant is pussying out already. After the disastrous one year Eccleston run we needed Tennant to step up as the next Tom Baker with a strong 6 to 10 season showing. I don't see the new guy lasting much past 3 seasons due to efforts to target "younger viewers" always falling flat.

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:08 pm

I wouldn't say David Tennant is "pussying out" as Sthurmovik says. He was doing a lot of stuff before signing on to Doctor Who, and he might have a few projects waiting for him as soon as he finishes his run. As for Matt Smith (the actor who will be playing the Eleventh Doctor), he could very well be the next Tom Baker---after all, he's the youngest actor ever to play the Doctor.

minkwheel

Post by minkwheel » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:36 pm

I for one am grateful for David Tennant's tenure as The Doctor... yes, TOM BAKER will always BE "THE" Doctor to most of us baby boomers... EVERYONE HAS THEIR FAVORITE DOCTOR and COMPANION... David brought a new enthusiasm to the character....and the bigger budget effects and decent writing really didn't hurt EITHER..... I'm looking forward to seeing what Matt does.... but I am still happy that I still have to see most of the Catherine Tate eps.......Don't have BBC America on my cable.... dangit.... I get best of both worlds... the new eps coming up, AND the final Tennant season. FANTASTIC! -- minkwheel
...From my HEART and from my HAND
WHY don't people understand my intentions?

Sthurmovik
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Android

Post by Sthurmovik » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:38 pm

I wouldn't say David Tennant is "pussying out" as Sthurmovik says. He was doing a lot of stuff before signing on to Doctor Who, and he might have a few projects waiting for him as soon as he finishes his run.
That's the problem. Doctor Who requires a lifetime commitment. The only thing Tennant should have planned to do after finishing his run was Cons and audio adventures.
As for Matt Smith (the actor who will be playing the Eleventh Doctor), he could very well be the next Tom Baker---after all, he's the youngest actor ever to play the Doctor.
Tennant was an avowed Dr Who buff who was fulfilling his lifelong dream by playing the Doctor. If he can't stay for a decade nobody will.

wolfblade

dr who

Post by wolfblade » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:35 pm

I think matt smith will be an good doctor , and david tennant can still come back in to the show as the other not going to say to much in case some have not seen end of season 4 , as for now roll on new years day (UK) for the end of time pt2 cant wait :D

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:29 pm

After the way Part 1 ended, I'm completely stoked for Part 2... That whole "rythym of four" bit was awesome, and I can't wait to see the Tenth Doctor's regeneration into the Eleventh. BTW Kishin, I didn't know you were a Doctor Who fan!

wolfblade

doctor who

Post by wolfblade » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:35 am

i love old doctor who myself but the new stuff does have some stand out storys off top of my head ( tooth and claw ,and blink)

Kuro

Post by Kuro » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:00 am

I'm a proud Whovian since 2002 and somehow managed to completely miss this thread. Ouch.

This episode was fairly good; the Master's plan was ridiculous, but some parts were good enough to redeem it.

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:05 am

Kuro wrote:I'm a proud Whovian since 2002 and somehow managed to completely miss this thread. Ouch.

This episode was fairly good; the Master's plan was ridiculous, but some parts were good enough to redeem it.
I 've been watching since the Ninth Doctor's first episode; unfortunately, I had to sit through friggin Stargate SG-1 (those idiots wouldn't be fit to polish the TARDIS control console, in my opinion) whilst waiting for Doctor Who to start. Back when the TV movie was on, I caught a little bit of it while visiting my grandmother's house; I still think that BBC Video should release the TV movie on DVD out here in the States.

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:19 am

Kishin wrote:
unfortunately, I had to sit through friggin Stargate SG-1 (those idiots wouldn't be fit to polish the TARDIS control console, in my opinion)
Uhm. I love Stargate SG-1. :)
Oh.....CRAP! (runs to the TARDIS and takes off, only to land in the exact same spot 5 hours from now)

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:52 pm

(TARDIS lands...)

Okay, I came back early...

Shall we continue the thread now?