There's at least one reason...

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
wjbaines
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

There's at least one reason...

Post by wjbaines » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:00 pm

There's at least one reason to hope Palin runs for President of the U.S. in 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5hl4kt ... r_embedded

Turns out Disney is coming out with some giant animatronic Presidents exhibit. The comments people posted are pretty funny, too.

PsychoKirby

Post by PsychoKirby » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:13 pm

The Hall of Presidents has actually been around since the Nixon administration. I always thought it was pretty cool. I was actually at the Magic Kingdom recently, though unfortunately I couldn't go on it since it was temporarily closed to add Robo-Bama.
<b><i>"To you, a robot is a robot. Gears and metal; electricity and positrons. Mind and iron! Human-made! If necessary, human-destroyed! But you haven't worked with them, so you don't know them. They're a cleaner, better breed than we are."</i></b>

gmiceo
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by gmiceo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:14 am

Odd I watched that and wondered why don't the animatronic creations suffer from the Uncanny Valley syndrome like robots do.

PsychoKirby

Post by PsychoKirby » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:24 pm

gmiceo wrote:Odd I watched that and wondered why don't the animatronic creations suffer from the Uncanny Valley syndrome like robots do.
If you ever actually go to Disney World, you'd see that they do. However, Disney has been doing animatronics for a while, and they're a lot less Valley-prone than other animatronics companies (assuming those companies even attempt to make realistic human figures, I mean).
<b><i>"To you, a robot is a robot. Gears and metal; electricity and positrons. Mind and iron! Human-made! If necessary, human-destroyed! But you haven't worked with them, so you don't know them. They're a cleaner, better breed than we are."</i></b>

gmiceo

Post by gmiceo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:53 am

Just went there in Jun. actually. I watched as a whole audience full of people went on the Carousel of technology. It didn't bother anyone at all. they became immersed in the story and saw the animatronics as characters. That's the real difference. Once you make them actuall people it becomes a little weird.

PsychoKirby

Post by PsychoKirby » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:36 am

You mean the Carousel of Progress? Love that ride. But yes, it does help when you imagine them as characters. That's probably a big factor in Disney's animatronics avoiding the Valley so well.

Incidentally, where were you sitting? I always try to sit as close to the front as possible. When you're closer, things are a little more apparent. Doesn't stop it from being a great ride, though.

gmiceo

Post by gmiceo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:35 am

I sit front row every time. I love to see how they put it all together.