Obligingly not politicizing another post (on 7/5/08)

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
Korby
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Obligingly not politicizing another post (on 7/5/08)

Post by Korby » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:06 am

Without realizing what I was doing 'til after the fact, after I got home from work yesterday (7/4), i had a deep-seated need to hear this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_UN2tweVZw

(Lyrics)
Yankee soldier
He wanna shoot some skag
He met it in Cambodia
But now he can't afford a bag

Yankee dollar talk
To the dictators of the world
In fact it's giving orders
An' they can't afford to miss a word

I'm so bored with the U...S...A...
But what can I do?

Yankee detectives
Are always on the TV
'Cos killers in America
Work seven days a week

Never mind the stars and stripes
Let's print the Watergate Tapes
I'll salute the New Wave
And I hope nobody escapes

I'm so bored with the U...S...A...
But what can I do?

Move up Starsky
For the C.I.A.
Suck on Kojak
For the USA

(Strummer/Jones)
"Oh shut up Ray don't talk about gettin' with a robot
That is a ill idea"
--Roast Beef
http://achewood.com

Borias

Post by Borias » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:46 am

Last edited by Borias on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingJeremy

Post by KingJeremy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:16 am

Not sure if you're kidding or not Borias but that's the kind of thing that get's the label of "Ugly American" thrown around so much. When you remove the nationalism we're all just people separated by imaginary boundaries that are constantly being redefined.

I'm not ranting or telling you you're wrong to have an opinion (especially if you made that post in jest) but I think this forum is a great example of how well people from different countries can get on with one another when we aren't so preoccupied with how much better any given country is from any other.

I used to think Canadians hated us, and to some extent I'm sure quite a few do. But living so close to Canuckastan (I keed, I keed) for most of my life and having actually met, worked, and on one occasion lived with our neighbors to the north, I know that the folks I've interacted with are just as gracious and complimentary as I like to think that I am. Yeah, they're proud of where they came from, just like I'm proud to be an American but any anti-American bias is inconsequential once you get to know the person for who they are.

Meh, anyway, I probably come off sounding like a self righteous douche but I would love to just get past the posturing and bravado that comes from international politics.

Trace Venom
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Android

Right. Whatever.

Post by Trace Venom » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Now, before our more jingoistic members spot this thread and "Tobykeith-it" into oblivion, forcing one of our fearless leaders into locking it, let me remind you, that, this is, first and foremost, THE CLASH.

KNEEL. RESPECT. RECOGNIZE.

That was all...

P.S. Of course they were bored with the U.S.A., they were british. Their TV shows are cooler.

PowerDroid5000

Post by PowerDroid5000 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Sorry to say that Borias, but i too hope that you were just being funny.

I mean... that attitude is EXACTLY why there are so many anti-americans in the world. Blame the TV showing only bad things outside the U.S.A. (outside the Land of the freedom, everything is still in medieval era).

Sorry of i am being harsh and in no way i mean offense to anyone here. And that's why i wont post in this tread again (to avoid flaming)

And again: There is no "perfect place" in the world. But try to see outside, broaden your horizons ^^

Thanks!

tinyspider

Post by tinyspider » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:34 pm

I'd say the world itself seems pretty much damaged up these days, there's fear, paranoia, war and corruption everywhere you look.

Like many others that live in the so-called "third world" countries I tend to feel some kind of resentment against those who live in richer, more industrialized places, but after some thinking I get to see their motivations for being self centered and/or very defensive about their values and lifestyle.

If you think deep about it, part of the big picture is the immediateness news get today thanks to the Internet and international news networks that makes you feel as if those tragedies, accidents, wars and political issues that get straight into your face, from another corner of the world, in the very moment they happen, were of your concern and could affect you directly. Our typical feeling is to try to protect our little turf from something like that and the "thanks is not here" attitude, but in the end you can realize the world has been a hard place to live since always and it's just a matter of survival and taking care of the guy at your side.

To quote Maynard James Keenan: "The universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive, so it is, so it's always been"

Keizo

Post by Keizo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:09 pm

First I would like to thank everyone for respecting my request and not ruining my other topic. I can understand a lot of anti-American (U.S.A.) feelings, but I also don't like double standards. I don't feel that I should be ashamed to be happy that I was born in the United States which has given me many opportunities. I grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods here. People are murdered often (third highest murder rate in the country), there is no respect for your neighbors, there is litter, vandalism and violent crime... but I still love my country as a whole. I am grateful to the sacrifices our forefathers have made and our "Yankee soldiers" continue to make in order for us to have a country. I've lost more than one friend already. (You guys ROCK)

Those imaginary lines that we call borders define more than geography, they define a culture and THAT is why they are important. U.S. citizens are constantly being told that we are evil, arrogant, exploitive, wasteful, etc. and this is mostly told to us by our own people. That we OWE anyone who doesn't have what we have. Somehow it's fine for everyone else in the world to celebrate their holidays and their cultures, but here we are told to feel guilty. Guilty? I am of mixed heritage, so I find many of these things ironic and ridiculous. We have enough culture wars within our own borders. Also I have worked hard for everything I have. The fact that I can get more luxuries for my money here than many other places is a gift that I truly appreciate. But I don't feel ashamed because I've done nothing wrong.

Araenae makes an excellent point about how the immediateness of the news can make things seem worse than they are. That this just makes us more aware of how things have always been. Ultimately we are all just people trying to make the best of our situations. We don't need the sensationalism to make our lives any more difficult.

PowerDroid5000

Post by PowerDroid5000 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:13 pm

Amen to that

EDIT: (ooops, i said i wasn't going to post again... :oops: )

Stephaniebot
Technosexuality: Transformation
Identification: Android

Post by Stephaniebot » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:21 am

I personally dont have anything against the USA, hey, I visit it enough on holidays to show that I would have thought. Have to say i enjoyed Chicago earlier this year even if US Robotics didnt do any tours, let alone showing me the area where the human robotics transformations (shouldnt have said that! :wink: ) are carried out. :P

Doesnt mean I agree with some of their politics, or like much of the TV output, but...I have nothing against their people as a whole whatsoever. And in all likelihood I'll be back for another week somewhere next year.
I'm just a 'girl' who wants to become a fembot whats wrong with that?

dale coba
Technosexuality: Transformation

Re: Right. Whatever.

Post by dale coba » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:29 am

Trace Venom wrote:Now, before our more jingoistic members spot this thread and "Tobykeith-it" into oblivion, forcing one of our fearless leaders into locking it, let me remind you, that, this is, first and foremost, THE CLASH.

KNEEL. RESPECT. RECOGNIZE.

That was all...

P.S. Of course they were bored with the U.S.A., they were british. Their TV shows are cooler.
Joe Strummer was a prophet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5wm4h973b0
(suggestion: right-click youtube into a new tab, then return to read along.
the 2nd time, watch the video full screen)

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
Johnny Appleseed

Lord, there goes Johnny Appleseed
He might pass by in the hour of need
There's a lot of souls
Ain't drinking from no well locked in a factory

Hey - look there goes
Hey - look there goes

If you're after getting the honey - hey
Then you don't go killing all the bees

Lord, there goes Martin Luther King
Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring
I hear what you're saying, I hear what he's saying
Is what was true now no longer so

Hey - I hear what you're saying
Hey - I hear what he's saying

If you're after getting the honey - hey

What the people are saying
And we know every road - go, go
What the people are saying
There ain't no
berries on the trees

Let the summertime sun
Fall on the
apple - fall on the apple

Lord, there goes a Buick forty-nine
Black sheep of the angels riding, riding down the line
We think there is a soul, we don't know
That soul is hard to find

Hey - down along the road
Hey - down along the road

If you're after getting the honey

Hey - it's what the people are saying
It's what the people are saying
Hey - there ain't no berries on the trees
Hey - that's what the people are saying, no berries on the trees

You're checking out the honey, baby
You had to go killin' all the bees

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/4220950/PBS ... V.AC3-SoS)

Get ready to eat a lot of wind-pollinated grain, and less fruit and vegetables (hand pollination only)

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

Keizo

Post by Keizo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:12 am

Best... lyrics... EVER

Hooch, by The Melvins:

Los ticka toe rest. Might likea sender doe ree.
Your make a doll a ray day sender bright like a penelty.
Exi-tease my ray day member half lost a beat away.
Purst in like a one way sender war give a heart like a fay.

Cause I can ford a red eed only street a wide a ree land.
Die-mond make a mid-evil bike a sake a like a ree caste.
Cause I can ford a red eed only street a wide a ree land.
On a ree land. Find a ree land.

You sink a my swan. Rolly a get a worst in.
Maybe minus way far central poor forty duck a pin.
Milk maid dud bean. Master a load a head.
Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqrsShcHc_E

I suppose you had to be there! I was :D But King B never claimed to be the authority on any issue and never thought that we should give too much credit to those who aren't.

Korby
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Re: Right. Whatever.

Post by Korby » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:49 pm

dale coba wrote:
Joe Strummer was a prophet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5wm4h973b0
(suggestion: right-click youtube into a new tab, then return to read along.
the 2nd time, watch the video full screen)

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
Johnny Appleseed

<snip>

Get ready to eat a lot of wind-pollinated grain, and less fruit and vegetables (hand pollination only)

- Dale Coba
Wow. Thanks, Dale; great song, and as you say, somewhat eerily prophetic. I'm not as familiar with Joe's stuff with the Mescaleros--something I mean to rectify in future.

Man. I wanna be Joe Strummer when I grow up.
"Oh shut up Ray don't talk about gettin' with a robot
That is a ill idea"
--Roast Beef
http://achewood.com