Anyone read HTML? (SEO for SFDG)

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
dale coba
Technosexuality: Transformation
Identification: Human

Anyone read HTML? (SEO for SFDG)

Post by dale coba » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm teaching myself web code, and I thought - on a whim - to check out the keywords, meta tags and such on Scifi Dreamgirls home page. Search Engine Optimization, Lesson One.

Would someone else check out their home page code? I think a few simple lines, adding keywords, would help the site pop up on search engines. ([keyword] was not found in their source.)

Many sites need much work to be properly optimized; but the keywords involved here are so technofetishist-specific, I daresay that SFDG will show up on top of Google searches the same way FC pages often do.

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

dale coba

Re: Anyone read HTML? (SEO for SFDG)

Post by dale coba » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:53 am

My amateur's guess would be that they haven't addressed SEO.

Keywords are no longer THE secret to getting attention, but I know there are many other legit, practical SEO measures one should explore to best support a pay site.

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

smalk
Technosexuality: Built

Post by smalk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:20 am

Most search site (google, of course, in primis) stopped paying attention to the meta "keyword" (or "description"). It is currently a W3C specification, so it's correct to put it anyway.

Via their own crawler bot, they build their own list of keywords based on the relevant pages of a domain. In this case, to optimize the placement in the specific query search, the best action is to put in the homepage a little paragraph describing, in plain text, what the site is about (so no fancy flash or similar).

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 am

smalk,

You propose doing almost nothing.
Do you feel that SEO is largely a con?

I don't; and neither do these authors listed at Amazon.

- Dale Coba

smalk

Post by smalk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 am

Incorrect, i think that SEO is a key factor for the success of a site. But i also know that most of the folks underestimates the complexity of reaching it.

In the istance of the SEO pratice of using keywords to reach a good placement, i've warned you it is not profitable - back in the birth of net, almost every site had all of the most common keywords in their meta, even if they did not relate to the contents of the site, to boost their rankings.

Good SEO has to be reached trough a serious ingennering of the site, done in conjunction with the site developer. I really appreaciate and share your interest in the matter, and it was not my intent to hold back your actions. But cheap solutions are exactly that - cheap.

n.b. as ever, my only 2 cents.

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:37 pm

There's no reason to stop at keywords. As a total amateur, I've only introduced the subject by offering a cheap solution
- a cheap lesson - teaching about the existence, concept, and beginnings of SEO.

I have several e-books on the topic; and if I ever actually code and launch my own site, I will start cheap, then return soon to attend to the more complex techniques.

- Dale Coba

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 pm

The only legit SEO is having much original content. All other SEO is fake, and Google et al. are doing a really great job to filter out those fakes.
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!

tinyspider

Post by tinyspider » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:49 pm

darkbutflashy wrote:The only legit SEO is having much original content. All other SEO is fake, and Google et al. are doing a really great job to filter out those fakes.
I humbly disagree. Good SEO is not forging your code or your content to hop on top of the results of a search engine, but rather make your code search engine friendly by thinking like a customer who wants to find you on the web and organizing your content accordingly. Google knows they're far away from being the perfect search engine and that's why you still see 'bombs' like when you type "completely wrong" on Google images (tip: it shows a lot of pictures of a certain former POTUS candidate). It's true that the way a web developer must make adjustments to a site in order to make it friendly to search engine crawlers has changed a lot in the past years, however, if you want to run a successful business using the internet, you still need to take SEO into consideration.

smalk

Post by smalk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I disagree too. Creating an interesting and creative site is marke
araenae wrote:
darkbutflashy wrote:The only legit SEO is having much original content. All other SEO is fake, and Google et al. are doing a really great job to filter out those fakes.
I humbly disagree. Good SEO is not forging your code or your content to hop on top of the results of a search engine, but rather make your code search engine friendly by thinking like a customer who wants to find you on the web and organizing your content accordingly. Google knows they're far away from being the perfect search engine and that's why you still see 'bombs' like when you type "completely wrong" on Google images (tip: it shows a lot of pictures of a certain former POTUS candidate). It's true that the way a web developer must make adjustments to a site in order to make it friendly to search engine crawlers has changed a lot in the past years, however, if you want to run a successful business using the internet, you still need to take SEO into consideration.
Total agree.