Asimov estate authorizes trilogy of "I, Robot" seq

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
PsychoKirby

Asimov estate authorizes trilogy of "I, Robot" seq

Post by PsychoKirby » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:17 pm

(And by "I, Robot" I mean the original short story collection, not the Will Smith movie which never happened. :wink: )

http://www.keepingthedoor.com/2009/10/3 ... t-sequels/

Not too sure how to feel here. It's hardly the first time another author got his hands on Asimov's universe. Plenty of other authors have written Foundation stories. And I always wanted to hear more about the early days of U.S. Robots and Mechanical Men, Inc. Information that you could only get from a novel, not short stories. As much as I love the novels about Elijah Baley and R. Daneel Olivaw, I was disappointed that Asimov's "Robot Novels" effectively weren't real robot novels.

But then again, Asimov's robot stories are the peak of his career. Yeah, other authors did Foundation, and Foundation gets plenty of critical acclaim, but in the eyes of most fans (and Asimov himself) the Foundation series takes a backseat in The Good Doctor's career to the robots, and it feels wrong in a way letting another writer touch the Three Laws. Of course, given how I'm writing a novel about robots bound by a code of ethics (yes, there's plenty of gynoids :D ) I suppose I should be glad other writers have a chance to use them now.

Thoughts?
<b><i>"To you, a robot is a robot. Gears and metal; electricity and positrons. Mind and iron! Human-made! If necessary, human-destroyed! But you haven't worked with them, so you don't know them. They're a cleaner, better breed than we are."</i></b>

PsychoKirby

Post by PsychoKirby » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:19 pm

Err, the last word of the topic title should be "sequels". Guess I hit the limit.
<b><i>"To you, a robot is a robot. Gears and metal; electricity and positrons. Mind and iron! Human-made! If necessary, human-destroyed! But you haven't worked with them, so you don't know them. They're a cleaner, better breed than we are."</i></b>