Mac vs PC

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
dale coba
Technosexuality: Transformation
Identification: Human

Post by dale coba » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:05 pm

araenae wrote: is it safe to click?
Araenae,

I have no idea.

May your next computer be a Mac. :)
- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

tinyspider

Post by tinyspider » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:54 pm

dale coba wrote: May your next computer be a Mac. :)
- Dale Coba
:lol: As a hardcore gamer I must say that proposition is.... denied lol

L.W.
Technosexuality: Built

Post by L.W. » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:35 am

araenae wrote:
dale coba wrote: May your next computer be a Mac. :)
- Dale Coba
:lol: As a hardcore gamer I must say that proposition is.... denied lol
I have to agree araenae...

I design stuff, mac can't do that...
I do accounting for myself and others, mac can't do that...
I want to hook up to my synth with a native system, mac can't do that...
If I want to play games, mac can't do that...

I do use a mac to write because it can do so little I am not tempted to do anything else, but is that really a selling point?

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:33 pm

hell? Mac's are a graphic designer's friend. and they are use to design 3d stuff, shit pixar uses them. apple just doesn't see the point of making it game as game friendly since there are console games around and so on, plus they're kind of asses about giving out their source code and so forth.

Nathan~

P.S. in my life time i only seen a Mac system crash ONCE...

Bart
Identification: Android

Post by Bart » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Not to make a Mac vs. PC discussion out of this thread, but I have to say I love my Mac. The OS (never crashed on me) is very sophisticated and the computers are very well built. And you know, you _can_ install Windows on a Mac. Sure, you won't get a clunky $400 plastic notebook from Apple, but try to get a PC laptop with DDR3 memory, 2,2 GHz Core 2 Duo; I bet you'll come close to $900 there too.

Well but I have to confess, for gaming I use a Windows PC too. :D

Regarding the link: much too hardcore for me.
This post was generated by automated means and is therefore valid without a signature.

tinyspider

Post by tinyspider » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Nathan wrote:hell? Mac's are a graphic designer's friend. and they are use to design 3d stuff, shit pixar uses them. apple just doesn't see the point of making it game as game friendly since there are console games around and so on, plus they're kind of asses about giving out their source code and so forth.

Nathan~

P.S. in my life time i only seen a Mac system crash ONCE...
Well, since this thread is already derailed... :lol:
I'm not only a gamer, I am a graphics/webdesigner, and I also work editing and retouching photos for several local magazines, I have worked with both platforms, mac and PC, and I must tell I rather work with PCs. Why?, Well, right click to begin with. They're cheaper, upgradable, and way more easy to repair. I don't see the advantage of paying 30-80% more for a fancier case with the same or even lower specs as a PC. Maybe in the early nineties when macs used a non-intel processor platform they had a little edge over PCs, performance-wise, but that's not the case anymore.
Oh and I have seen macs crashing at least a hundred times, they're specially annoying, because in most of the cases, the only way to restart a mac is to unplug it from the wall :?

inky 2
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Android

Post by inky 2 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:31 pm

I do a lot of video editing and i think theres no comparing macs i feel do it better and i have used pc's too i just feel mac is set up better now maybe widows has caught up but mac seems like the standard with everyone i work with.

Now gaming i wont deny Windows is the way to go i will give them props there

tinyspider

Post by tinyspider » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Robotman wrote:Derailment complete. :P
First, I'll say this:

:lol: I was going to post "how come there's no linux lovers in FC?

tinyspider

Post by tinyspider » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:36 pm

This pretty much sums up the whole OS wars for me :lol: :lol: :lol:

33cl33

Post by 33cl33 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:44 am

For the record - I really hate this argument. It's like comparing makes of cars. Each has their own reason for existing - and mostly, it's because more than one company wants to make money off of the market - the whole brand war is really just a product of effective advertising.

But...

I do TONS of video and audio editing - using both platforms... I have a full-time job doing graphic design for a fashion magazine on a MAC setup, and I do a lot of it freelance on my windows system as well...

After something like 16 years of editing and design - I can't stand working on Macs. I see them crash regularly - I've only had to clean viruses and malware off of windows pcs like twice in my life... so that whole argument holds little water with me... I also once watched a recording engineer brag for 45 minutes about his lovely new Protools Mac setup in his studio, only to have it crash & become nearly unusable for the rest of the day's session.

Others said it well above - Macs are more expensive for less power... But they are pretty. As for 'the standard' in editing and design... That's an individual's choice. I've seen about 50-50 in all the studios in NY & LA that I've been through.

When it comes right down to it - they're both just giant money-hungry companies that have done a lovely job of brainwashing a lot of people into thinking their brand is worth fighting over.