MANGA + ANIME > Chobits

Share or request information and reviews on various forms of fembot media.
(Please use the search option before requesting a review as it may have been covered in the past)
Will-o-the-wisp

MANGA + ANIME > Chobits

Post by Will-o-the-wisp » Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:36 pm

This has recently been popping up in Suncoast video and Media Play stores across the country. It's that all-too-familiar story of lonely nerdy guy finds a high-tech android computer (which is apparantly common in his time) abandoned, and takes her in.

Information can be found here, here, and probably most completely here.

Otaru Mamiya
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Post by Otaru Mamiya » Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:31 pm

I saw the first manga volume in a couple of bookstores a few weeks ago. They sold pretty fast.

Tokyopop has plans to release the second volume and I've heard that they have the rights to the anime as well.
"Don't sweat the petty things... don't pet the sweaty things..."

KOS-MOS
Retired staff member

Post by KOS-MOS » Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:39 pm

While the concept of a geeky boy finding the machine maiden of his dreams is not a new one Chobits is a breath of fresh air when it comes to robotgirl stories. I picked up the first volume when it came out a month or two ago and have fallen in love with the vision of the writers. There is a fair bit dealing with the effects of having Persocoms [the female formed personal computers] in society which really helped this book grab me >>

The main character treats and acts as if his persocom is a human girl, he is nervous about booting her up via the button down there and is always worried that people think he is a pervert for owning her. While on the other hand, his friend treats persocoms as machines and had no problem spreading her legs to look at her serial number. Back at school the teacher is going through some hard times, possibly because her husband enjoys the company of his persocom rather than her. Little tidbits like this add to the overall richness of this detailed work. It has got me to believe in this fembot future.

Though there is no sex and the art is all rather cute I cannot think of anyone in this community who would not enjoy the story that is started here > even if you do not like manga or comics. Oh, and it is created by a team of GIRLS! Pick it up if you can find it > volume #2 will be out on July 23rd.

As for the anime series, I have most of it on my computer with subtitles. It is a fair bit slower than the manga and generally not as well plotted out as the manga, but is worth looking into if you like anime.