ANIME + MANGA > Recent and future DVD releases

Share or request information and reviews on various forms of fembot media.
(Please use the search option before requesting a review as it may have been covered in the past)
Otaru Mamiya
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

ANIME + MANGA > Recent and future DVD releases

Post by Otaru Mamiya » Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:01 pm

It's been awhile since I spoke up so I guess I should say a few things about what I've been watching.

The full version of the Armitage III OAVs (There were some scenes cut from the Polymatrix movie) is coming out on October 29th. I'm looking forward to it myself since I saw the movie and I'm curious about the scenes that were taken out. For those who haven't seen it, I recommend it. There are some good damage shots so you can see that the character is a robot and don't just have to assume because the story said so. I also picked up a copy of the second movie - Dual Matrix. It's a good continuation of the original story. Just as well written as the first.

The next volume of Saber Marionette J-to-X is coming out next Monday (August 20th). I'm sure that fans of Lime-chan will be pleased. :lol: I've got the first TV series and the first OAV on VHS (sorry, can't do screen caps from that) and it seems like another excellent series. The only down-side is that they don't show much mechanical work. The girls look almost perfectly human. The story more than makes up for that though.

I rented the AD Police box set a few weeks ago (based in the same world as Bubblegum Crisis 2040). Sorry, no gynoids. That series is too far into techno-organics for my taste anyway.

The first volume of Burn Up Excess is coming out on Monday as well. There are no robotic regular characters but it's predecessor, Burn Up W, had one AI character that showed up for one episode. I'll keep my eye out for individual eps with one-shot characters.

Rented one of the disks from Steel Angel Kurumi. It's cute (okay, REALLY cute) but aside from a few pre-activation scenes, there's no robot imagery at all. The girls are only as mechanical as the story tells you. The most that I've seen is one laying on a bed with cables attached to her.

Still haven't picked up a copy of Chobits manga Vol 2 yet. I'm not really committed to this series but I'm leaning toward it. The persocom parts are well written and don't seem to forget that they're really computers. Even the most human of them (aside from Chi) remembers she can only do what she's programmed to do. Tokyopop has four volumes listed on their site and the third one is listed to come out on October 22nd. No word yet on a domestic release of the TV series but I'll ask a friend of mine if he'll download some fan-subbed eps.

Finally, I read a through the Android Announcer Maico 2010 manga a while ago. ComicsOne put it out a long time ago and about a year ago, I bought the E-book version. The story was good and the writers remember that the characters are machines (a problem with some robot-girl anime). My only problem is that the e-books were encrypted so when I had to re-install my reader, it couldn't read the books. If you're going to get these, I'd suggest just getting them in paperback. It's more expensive but you don't get the same problem that I did. I know that there's a TV series in Japan of this but there's no word on any US release.
"Don't sweat the petty things... don't pet the sweaty things..."