Upscaling experiments with fection's work

Share or request information and reviews on various forms of fembot media.
(Please use the search option before requesting a review as it may have been covered in the past)
Toastdroid
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Upscaling experiments with fection's work

Post by Toastdroid » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:04 pm

So a few days ago someone linked to an upscaling tool that uses algorithms like waifu2x to convert images and videos to higher resolutions while maintaining as much image quality as possible.

I thought this'd be a fun tool to play around with, so as a test, I tried to upscale Fection's Candybot007 - Worst Spy Ever to 1080p from its native 360p.

I played around with the various algorithms available and came up with this final result

This is using the "Waifu2X Converter CPP" driver, and took about 6 hours to render (using an nvidia gtx 970). Now I should note that this is only an algorithm, and there's only so much detail it can render effectively from such a small source - this shouldn't be considered a "perfect" remaster and there are definitely areas where the process results in less than optimal results (there's some wobblyness to the lines when zoomed in for example). That being said I'm kinda happy with the results, it especially looks good on my laptop's smaller 1366x768 display.

There was a driver (RealSR NCNN Vulkan) that produced some absolutely lovely results on my test clip at 1440p, but it also would have taken significantly much longer to render.

I also tried to upscale another of Fection's clips, downloadable here, and it generally looks quite good; however, the first few seconds/fade in are broken so it should strictly be considered a work in progress.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna try this on *all* of Fection's clips or anything, I just thought I'd highlight this software and what it can do for anyone here who'd like to give it a try. I should mention that you need to install the latest version of python and have a (ideally beefy) nvidia (some drivers support AMD, but not all) GPU for most of the programs drivers to work. I have a folder of test images that show comparisons between each driver as well.

Finally, I should extend some special thanks to Fection for his work, and I hope you don't mind me using it for these little experiments!

Toastdroid
Technosexuality: Built

Re: Upscaling experiments with fection's work

Post by Toastdroid » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:20 am

Quick update, the RealSR driver I mentioned earlier as being really good but too time intensive? turns out it took much less than I expected (but still long enough I had to leave it overnight), so here's Candybot in 1440p. This is probably about the limit of what a scaling algorithm can do.

fection

Post by fection » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:59 am

Wow. That's impressive. Good work! I have actually lost the source files for that animation, so thanks for the up-scaling!

Steve
Technosexuality: None of your business

Post by Steve » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:12 am

what if link dont wotrk

Steve
Technosexuality: None of your business

Post by Steve » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 am

is anyone have working link or can upload to fembot wiki please