Are holograms a part of ASFR?

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.

Holograms: ASFR or non-ASFR?

ASFR
42%
Non-ASFR
58%

Total votes: 60

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Are holograms a part of ASFR?

Post by Spaz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:58 pm

I was wondering, since Star Trek alone contains dozens of good episodes with hologram material...especially people freezing.
Check out my stories: https://www.fembotwiki.com/index.php?title=User:Spaz

Current story status: The Small Business Chronicles: Season Two | The Doctor is in - The Clinic (In progress...)

jolshefsky

Post by jolshefsky » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:44 am

Yes, but that generally doesn't do anything for me.

Star Trek's "Holodeck" is better because it adds physicality, but something about the component nature of a fembot one can take apart is much more appealing.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,

--- Jason Olshefsky

WilloWisp
Technosexuality: Built
Location: An infinite distance away in a direction which can't be described in 3-dimensions.

Post by WilloWisp » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:10 am

If the holodecks had presented characters which mentally glitch out, then maybe. Weirdly, the writers had the holodeck malfunctioning almost every other episode, but the characters on the holodeck stayed pretty stable. I would have loved to see a character in the middle of a conversation, then have their face go slack and their voice monotone as they say "Conversational transition not found or file inaccessable: Database corruption at segment 29732," then have them snap back to their previous smoothness without seeming to notice the change.

maax

Post by maax » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:42 am

The best holodeck scenes are when they freeze program, or change a person in the middle of a scene. But yeah, more holodeck malfunctioning characters would have been better.

Grendizer

Post by Grendizer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:47 am

The assumption is that you mean an autonomous hologram, not just a "vactor" or something like an avatar, in which case that is surely ASFR. I think the core of ASFR, as I've come to understand it, is control. After all, "robot" implies control, and that word doesn't presume anything else about the nature of what is being controlled, except that it is a machine with human-like capabilities.

Both Marshall Brain and Rary Kurzweil see the future of robotics being primarily virtual, and that most people will be interacting in virtual space more than in physical space at some point in the future. I think they are more right than wrong about that, and I think most of our acquaintances in a few decades will be robots -- but they probably won't be very "robotic." Unless, of course, they are designed that way.
If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free.

My Stories: Teacher: Lesson 1, Teacher: Lesson 2, Quick Corruptions, A New Purpose

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff

Post by Spaz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Glad to see all the discussion on this matter.

I will probably add some vidcaps to the wiki of some of the better scenes. I might also try and get the Bits of Love episode of The Outer Limits.

I own all of Star Trek on DVD, so that is no problem...but the others I am scouring the internet for them.
Check out my stories: https://www.fembotwiki.com/index.php?title=User:Spaz

Current story status: The Small Business Chronicles: Season Two | The Doctor is in - The Clinic (In progress...)

FaceoffFembot

Post by FaceoffFembot » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:07 pm

I don't think so: no sexual relations, no faceoff, and you always know when a holo is a holo.

Grendizer

Post by Grendizer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:31 pm

FaceoffFembot wrote:I don't think so: no sexual relations, no faceoff, and you always know when a holo is a holo.
I guess all that is determined by what sort of holo we're talking about. I think the criticism might fall by the wayside if we're talking about an adequately advanced "holodeck" style hologram (in other words, substantial). And depending on the nature of the tech, you wouldn't necessarily know if it was a holo. Also, ASFR has a long history of gradations from Rosy the Robot to Rachael from Blade Runner; I don't think whether you could actually remove a robot's face defines the whole fetish. That's not to say that Rachael will excite everyone involved in ASFR (she will not), but then I'm sure that not just anyone dressed up in any random sort of leather is enough to excite everyone with a leather fetish. But it's still leather, and Rachael is still a robot -- as is an autonomous holodeck program.

Of course, if we are presuming these holograms are just insubstantial 3D representations of things we can already do, then I would concede the point, since nothing we can do now comes close to accomplishing the major points of interest in the community in the first place. But I think that any tech can work as long as two points are met: autonomous operation (which makes it a robot), and interactivity (physical or otherwise).
If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free.

My Stories: Teacher: Lesson 1, Teacher: Lesson 2, Quick Corruptions, A New Purpose

PsychoKirby

Post by PsychoKirby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:11 am

I'm going to say yes, if only because ASFR encompasses a broad spectrum of fetishes and isn't exactly restricted to robots. Statue fetishes are considered part of ASFR, for example. Instead of saying ASFR is an attraction to humanoid robots, it'd be more accurate to say it's an attraction to any artificial facsimile of a human (including but not limited to robots).

Of course, I'm specifically a robot guy, and I'd guess most of this board is as well, so while holograms are ASFR, whether they belong on this board would still be a matter of debate. But I'm not an admin, so I'll just let them decide whether it's appropriate. :lol:
<b><i>"To you, a robot is a robot. Gears and metal; electricity and positrons. Mind and iron! Human-made! If necessary, human-destroyed! But you haven't worked with them, so you don't know them. They're a cleaner, better breed than we are."</i></b>

WinterRose
Identification: Android

Post by WinterRose » Sun May 30, 2010 12:17 am

Yes, in that the hologram is simply the interface for an AI housed somewhere else. Try and get away from people like Doctor Schweitzer and Arnold Rimmer. Think more like Andromeda Ascendant, and how she's really just the avatar for the ship around her AI complex. The ship's one BIG robot body, but it's ambulatory, can interact with you, and is mechanical in origin. Yup. Very much counts.