Terminology

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
still time
Banned

Terminology

Post by still time » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:01 am

You guys (and I'm sure the whole community) are using the word Fembot to mean female robot.
Actually a gynoid (opposite of android) is a female robot.
Fembot was a term first used in Austin Powers: Man Of Mystery.
In the movie a group of cloned women with cybernetic implants were made, so there must be an organic component in a gynoid to be called a fembot.
A bionic limb replacement is also implied, but that's more to do with mechanics powered by muscle rather than by electricity (such as Luke Skywalker's arm in The Empire Strikes Back).

keraptis
Technosexuality: Transformation
Identification: Human

Post by keraptis » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Robotman wrote:I personally hate the "G" word, so I'm all about the 100% artificial fembots. ;)
"Hate" is a little strong, but I have to agree that "gynoid" is an ugly word. I have never used it because the sound of it just turns me off.

For whatever reason, "robot" is the word I find most sexy and appealing ... in particular I love hearing a beautiful girl even say the word out loud. "Fembot" is a nice shorthand to clarify that we're talking about the sexy female variety, not the cardboard-boxes-covered-in-tin-foil variety or any other.

TheSpotConlon
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by TheSpotConlon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Also, I'm just going to point out here that in "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery," the fembots are shown to be fully robotic. Their destroyed states in all three films demonstrate that they are all gears and servos, and also easy to fit in a suitcase. (Yeah, and also definitely not the first use of the term.)

I find "fembot" and "gynoid" to be pretty much interchangable, but with a preference for Fembot. It feels nicer, and less weighty on the tongue.

Steamboy

Post by Steamboy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 pm

For me, android is a turn off, since "andros" is the greek worf for "man".
You guys (and I'm sure the whole community) are using the word Fembot to mean female robot.
If we go deeper in etymology, "gynoid" means "shaped in form of a woman". Thus, the cocacola bottle is a gynoid...

still time
Banned

Post by still time » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:22 am

Dr. Amens wrote:For me, android is a turn off, since "andros" is the greek worf for "man".
If we go deeper in etymology, "gynoid" means "shaped in form of a woman". Thus, the cocacola bottle is a gynoid...
Actually you are almost correct with the term.
A woman just happens to have an hourglass frame.
The term has nothing to do with a woman, but her shape.
You can make a gynoid out of a balloon since it just means the redistribution of it's contents which in most cases is fat.

By the way, the Austin Powers comment came from Wikipedia, so someone should tell them they got it wrong, and I do like the sound of Fembot better, which may be why we have names like Actroid (mechanized puppetry in female form) and most recently Yumecom (substitute girlfriend or boyfriend/companion/servent, who can interface with computers).

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:08 am

Fembot, yes most certainly.

However, back when WPHL-17 aired movies in the weeknight prime-time slot,
I got the magic word,
"Stepford"
stuck in my head.

With Stepford, you know what the aim is:
- female human appearance
- beautiful
- tranquil
- obedient
- robot
(though I'd prefer they had transformed their wives)

but that remake had to come along, and foul the term for those who weren't familiar with the original.

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:17 am

I can only lay claim to the regret of theater viewings of Inspector Gadget 2 and Mumford.

The remake will serve for all time as an exemplar of systemic failure in film making.
If it had been perpetrated on someone else's fetish,
I would have found it valuable (not laudable),
in the nature of Ed Wood or early Roger Corman.

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

xodar

Post by xodar » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:12 pm

Fembot is the best word in my opinion.
Gynoid sounds kind of medical and somewhat like some kind of arachnid type creature.

Since android has the Greek andros for man in it, maybe we can use fembot for the female robot and android for the male.

People in general will probably continue using android for a humanoid robot but we know what we mean here.

It appears that we've developed a new word stem based on robot, that being -bot to which we can affix a second term. Yes, I know the Czech origin of the word but now -bot seems to mean a machine that duplicates living functions or has purposeful behavior. At least as used in places like this.
That's how languages develop.

Is an artificial canine, then, a dogbot?
"You can believe me, because I never lie and I'm always right." -- George Leroy Tirebiter.
If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to hear it I don't give a rat's ass.
http://www.bbotw.com/product.aspx?ISBN=0-7414-4384-8
http://www.bbotw.com/description.asp?ISBN=0-7414-2058-9