Fuck it... I'm making my own fembot head!

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
TheSpotConlon
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Post by TheSpotConlon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm

I feel like that $510 price tag was more "labor" and less "parts." Considering the final look, there was probably also a lot of artificial inflation in that price. Yikes.

So Robotman, I commend your dedication to the craft! I hope we all get to see final results of your work, as well as its final resting place. As far as I'm concerned, you should keep it out as a conversation piece. Cocktail parties get boring? BAM! Out comes the head!

minkwheel

Post by minkwheel » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:53 am

Kishin is RIGHT! -- I can't believe that it went for as much as it DID... and yes... it was very nicely made... but basically with everything you can find at an A.C. MOORE craft store for around $10.... I think the circuitry was done with a metallic paint marker, et al.... and anyone with graphics skills can make up the tags........all in all... a nice project, and lovingly produced.... but WHAT A MARKUP!!! -- minkwheel
...From my HEART and from my HAND
WHY don't people understand my intentions?

jolshefsky
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Re: Fuck it... I'm making my own fembot head!

Post by jolshefsky » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:42 am

Robotman wrote:The fembot head on ebay went for $510 US :shock: so I know I can make one cheaper. ;)
Just make sure you keep track of your time so we can tell whether US$510 is way out of line (my opinion: reasonable "labor" charges and parts are at least US$205.) It would be useful up-front if you tracked designing, finding supplies, purchasing supplies, and the various kinds of assembly separately. As someone who does a variety of manufacturing tasks, I track different hourly rates for sub-assemblies as I make them so I can figure out what to charge in the end.

As an example, I've been toying with LED blinkies. I made a circuit that lets me use a $2 microcontroller to run between 1 button and 5 lights and 5 buttons and 1 light on a generic board. The parts, including the LEDs in small quantities cost about $3 (neglecting the cost of the circuit board itself which I'm etching one at a time). It takes me about a half-hour to assemble one including installing the program on the microcontroller, soldering, and debugging defects. I haven't priced staff to do that kind of assembly, but finding someone with even enough hobby experience with electronics to be able to do those steps will cost a lot more than minimum wage. So even at an extremely modest $12/hour, it's already $9 just to make the darn things. Compare that to your typical China-made bike blinker at $2 -- retail -- and you can see that DIY and one-off work is far, far more expensive. So far I just make them as gifts and for friends because convincing someone that they should pay $15 or $20 isn't worth my time.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,

--- Jason Olshefsky

PowerDroid5000
Technosexuality: Built

Re: Fuck it... I'm making my own fembot head!

Post by PowerDroid5000 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:17 am

I just wish I was good with wiring electronics... I'd get some functional LEDs in there too.[/quote]

Use a christmas light for the leds, cheaper and the lights already blink. Just put the control on Random flashing, otherwise you fembot head LEDs might end up blinking to "Jingle bells" .

It may sound stupid at first, but if you put only the tip of the lamps showing, the result might be good, and since they are blinking, they won't overheat. 8)

PowerDroid5000
Technosexuality: Built

Post by PowerDroid5000 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:16 pm

Hey, don't forget to post Pics once it's done! :wink:

rickdrat

Post by rickdrat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:34 am

I wonder if this is how Dr. Franklin got started? :lol:

Kuro

Post by Kuro » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:26 pm

I'll look forward to seeing this.

minkwheel

Post by minkwheel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:16 pm

I sometimes work on Z Grade movies, and you can use a LOT of stuff around the house to make convincing looking open panel things... we've used dollar store Christmas lights, and even tops of toothbrushes to look like bigtime chips, etc... metalic markers for filler, and such...but to be honest, a local DOLLAR STORE is your friend here.... boatloads of things to use and you won't break the bank....Love THOSE DOLLAR STORE CALCULATORS! --OH, AND SIMPLE DIFFERENT SIZE SHIRT BUTTONS AND THUMBTACKS MAKE IT ALL LOOK SO REAL FROM AFAR. -- happy building... Hey, stick in a few LEGOS for good measure. --minkwheel
...From my HEART and from my HAND
WHY don't people understand my intentions?