Steampunk?

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
Patashu

Steampunk?

Post by Patashu » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:23 pm

One of my favourite qualities in regards to robots is a victorian era tech level. I love how industrial it looks and feels, I guess it's kinda hard to explain. Well sculpted and tuned but with a powerful, rumbly, loud, iron-clad ambience. And an exposed furnace.

(Although, I also prefer seeing animalistic mechanoids, hehe. Either way works though)

I was wondering if anyone else had ever dabbled in the field?

Patashu

Post by Patashu » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:35 pm

Heh. Well, the only things I'm directly opposed to are nanotech (unless used in a -very- mild sense) and machines with no human/animal traits whatsoever.

xodar

Post by xodar » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Patashu wrote:Heh. Well, the only things I'm directly opposed to are nanotech (unless used in a -very- mild sense) and machines with no human/animal traits whatsoever.
I'd say for me that depends on purpose and function. No reason for a robot that sweeps the floor, goes about picking up crumbs, and straightening the rug to look like anything but a machine.

Those with human or animal traits are more for emotional responses from people rather than pure function, and would be more expensive.

Other types might be novelties. Now that we've begun to get a handle on making robots we should be able to use earlier technologies for purposes people originally couldn't.
"You can believe me, because I never lie and I'm always right." -- George Leroy Tirebiter.
If a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to hear it I don't give a rat's ass.
http://www.bbotw.com/product.aspx?ISBN=0-7414-4384-8
http://www.bbotw.com/description.asp?ISBN=0-7414-2058-9

Stephaniebot
Technosexuality: Transformation
Identification: Android

Post by Stephaniebot » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:42 am

Robotman wrote:Can't say that would appeal to me, but my tastes are pretty narrow. I'm still stuck on 70s/80s electronic technology for the best effect.
That kind of surprises me as I would say your avatar is classic 50s/60s type robot but thats probably me just being pedantic or the like. Victorian tech would certainly be different from the modern, but hey why not?

Lets face it, some of us adore Maria (Metropolis) and she's from the 20s! Mind there werent too many 'nuts and bolts' actually in that design lol, but nice amounts of electricty used, grin! :wink:
I'm just a 'girl' who wants to become a fembot whats wrong with that?

valtech1218

Post by valtech1218 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:44 pm

while the industrial look and feel of a fembot would be nice I think that the 90's idea for a fembot is better

nothing beats circuits and electronics

wjbaines
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Post by wjbaines » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:32 pm

Not my bag really, but to each his/her own.

However, I thought I'd weigh in and mention that, if you haven't see it before - and I'm not really sure if it's my place to point this out, but - Heinrich Brueckmann seems to have been working on a story that's pointed in that direction. It's over at the LTBSA. Just google it, go to the "author index," click on "Heinrich Brueckmann," and look at "Somethings - 1." It's set during the French Revolution.

Before you go to that length though, be aware that he never finished it. Looks like he posted it there unfinished for some reason (maybe when he shipped out? I dunno) and hadn't added any robots yet, although you can make out where she's supposed to go.

Thought I might as well let you know.

KingJeremy

Post by KingJeremy » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:41 am

HB was mortally wounded while serving his country overseas. His father stopped by and posted some of his unfinished work as well. Not sure if the story you mention is among that bunch though.

M4R1A

Post by M4R1A » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:30 am

I absolutely LOVE steampunk. The combination of victorian/edwardian (or even empire and baroque if you want to go way back) and high tech according to that time period is all too fashionable.

Seeing a steampunk-based fembot (which are rare) or even cyborg would be cool. I should draw it one day...

Patashu

Post by Patashu » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:59 pm

M4R1A wrote: Seeing a steampunk-based fembot (which are rare) or even cyborg would be cool. I should draw it one day...
Yes, yes you should. :3

I'm not sure if I've seen one, come to think of it.

ShinDangaioh

Post by ShinDangaioh » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:22 am

I've seen a steampunk based fembot in the tabletop RPG: Terra the Gunslinger.

Too bad I don't have a working scanner and it's in Japanese. ;)