100 reasons why Captain Kirk is better than Captain Picard

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
Gorgo
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Post by Gorgo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:37 pm

ROTFLMAO! :lol:
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. warship approaching it: This is a lighthouse; your call.

noidguy
Retired staff member

Post by noidguy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:30 pm

You realize the younger generation only knows Shatner from the Priceline commercials? But then they probably don't know Patrick Stewart at all.

Gorgo
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by Gorgo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:30 pm

Most likely.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. warship approaching it: This is a lighthouse; your call.

AK
Banned

Post by AK » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:26 pm

[POST REMOVED]

nybble

Post by nybble » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:46 pm

Sisko made that show watchable. The rest of the disaster known as ST:DS6 was just Love Boat in Space.

Although not old enough to have seen ST:TOS in the first run, I had the show about memorized by the time ST:TNG came out and I watched all of the Star Trek series in all of their glory (TNG, E) and all of their horor (V).

So, captains of Star Fleet vessels in order from best to worse: Kirk and Picard (tie; sorry to wimp out, but each was the best for their time), Archer, Sisko, Worf (the Defiant in ST:LoveBoat), Pike, Evil Kirk and Janeway. And Janeway is there on the list because I can't think of anyone more to put in front of her.
Have you played the new MMORG called 'Real Life'? I hear the end guy is tough.

The Collector
Banned

Post by The Collector » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:46 pm

I gotta side with AK, Sisko was the only Captain to punch out Q! And he had the Original Badass, the Defiant.

noidguy
Retired staff member

Post by noidguy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Just wondering......has any regular character actor or actress from any of the Star Trek related series gone on to better things?

minkwheel

Post by minkwheel » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:47 am

Sadly, I think only SHAT has had his hand in everything since Trek ...Movies, books, other tv shows, albums, THEY JUST KEEP HIRING CHUBBY KIRK. Everyone else seems to lag behind in the career dept. ----but they DO get $20-$60 a pop for their autographs at conventions. minkwheel
...From my HEART and from my HAND
WHY don't people understand my intentions?

nybble

Post by nybble » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:53 am

noidguy wrote:Just wondering......has any regular character actor or actress from any of the Star Trek related series gone on to better things?
'Better' is in the eye of the beholder.

Wil Wheaton is now an accomplished writer and blogger. Rene Auberjonois has done a few different TV series since, including Boston Legal (which had a large and entertaining number of Star Trek references).
Have you played the new MMORG called 'Real Life'? I hear the end guy is tough.

dale coba
Technosexuality: Transformation

Post by dale coba » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:41 am

Robert Picardo - Stargate/Stargate Atlantis
Jeri Ryan - Boston Public
George Takei - I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here! (kidding)
Patrick Stewart - Professor Xavier; any Shakespeare, any time
Brent Spiner - Threshold
Nana Visitor - recent guest spots on BSG, T:tSCC
Diane Weist - Law and Order
Armin Shimmerman - BtVS

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

Rotwang

Post by Rotwang » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:10 am

Kirk is in a league of his own, the stuff that legends are made of.

Picard was quite good in his own way, but a few TNG staples came back to bite some of the other series (Holodeck, time travel)

Sisko had that raw edge and presence. DS9 took some major risks in upsetting the Trek universe and had a great cast, probably the best drama Trek in one series.

Janeway just grated me, almost everything about Voyager was either wrong or a major cop out. They must have figured that DS9 had left too many trekkies scarred and decided to file off all sharp corners, pad everything and just drive the franchise into the ground. Stupid aliens, plots and needless stupid ideas. Neelix should have been tortured and killed in the most prejudiced, barbaric and violent manner imaginable to man, Q and alien. I'm talking bleach injected in an eyeball with a blunt rusty syringe shit

Archer seemed ok, but I never got beyond a few episodes of Enterprise. I heard it picked up pace right at the end, but got canceled anyway. The Voyager pussy effect had done too much damage.

Rotwang

Post by Rotwang » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:35 pm

TOS quite simply opened the way. They really didn't have ideas after the first season and a half. Even if Trek had gone on they might have been tempted to make major changes and run the risk of ruining it.

TNG muddled on for quite a while and didn't pick up pace until third season. For a while it was the "Wesley Saves the Day" show, but it had some solid episodes and great ideas, even though a lot was borrowed from litterary science fiction. TNG pretty much established Trek's definitive mythos.

DS9 probably had the best ensemble cast of any Trek to date. Again it was muddled at the beginning, but when the Dominion arc was established it rolled. It also helped to have Bab 5 as a rival, trying to top each other.

Voyager could have been nailbitingly good if only they had retained the original premise of a small ship far away from any Federation help, trying to keep a jury rigged ship from falling apart and a crew split in two factions. None came of it. Voyager could be constantly fixed and stretched limited resources into infinite ones whenever it suited them and the Maquis was just another branch of Star Fleet.

Voyager ruined Trek for me. Never saw enough of Enterprise to give an honest opinion.