Apple to switch to Intel

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.

Apple to switch to Intel. What do you think?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:36 pm

Those bastards!! I'll throw my Mac out of the window NOW!
6%
I don't care.
56%
Apple? Intel? What are you talking about?
11%
Great idea.
28%

Total votes: 18

Bart
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Android

Apple to switch to Intel

Post by Bart » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:36 pm

I think you've already heard that Apple will switch from IBM's PowerPC-CPU to Intel's Pentium CPU during 2006. All the rumours were true. Even Mac OS X had a 'secret double life' and was designed to run on x86 from the very beginning.

At WWDC '05, Apple's CEO Steve Jobs showed a Power Mac already running flawlessly (including apps like Photoshop and Excel) on a 3,2 GHz Pentium 4.

You might want to watch the webcast of Job's keynote at WWDC 2005: http://stream.apple.akadns.net/ (quicktime movie)

The reason for the transition is Intel's better roadmap, Jobs said. Intel's CPU's have less power consumption per operation and Steve Jobs seemed to be a bit pissed off because IBM wasn't able to deliver a 3 GHz G5 and a mobile G5 for the Powerbooks and iBooks.

Strange thing: why did Microsoft choose the PPC for the new XBOX if IBM has that problems? Probably Apple just doesn't want to pay Big Blue's high prices anymore?

I just hope that Apple won't lose their excellent, simple, stylish design by switching to the more mainstreamy-platform. I think it would be great to have faster, more compatible (?) and maybe a bit cheaper Mac, but some ultimate hardcore fans might hate Apple for doing this...

What do you think? Or don't you even care? :lol:
This post was generated by automated means and is therefore valid without a signature.

mariahbot81
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by mariahbot81 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:38 pm

Huh? What are we dicussing, I'm confused. Oh nevermind.
Unit is ready to serve.

kb7rky

Post by kb7rky » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:27 pm

Of course, for the premiere, it's going to run flawlessly.

Once it hits the shelves of the local computer stores, watch out. People are going to come in droves and buy the newest Apple, take it home, plug it in, and turn it on, only to have the OS blow up in their faces, much like PCs and Windows do now.

IMHO...probably a bad thing.

Doug

keraptis
Technosexuality: Transformation
Identification: Human

Post by keraptis » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:57 pm

kb7rky wrote:Of course, for the premiere, it's going to run flawlessly.

Once it hits the shelves of the local computer stores, watch out. People are going to come in droves and buy the newest Apple, take it home, plug it in, and turn it on, only to have the OS blow up in their faces, much like PCs and Windows do now.

IMHO...probably a bad thing.

Doug
Explain to me why it would blow up?

Say what you want about Windows, but nobody ever blamed Intel for the reliability and security problems that continue to plague it. I've never heard anybody say that Linux on Intel is any less reliable or secure as Linux on any other chip. You shouldn't confuse the software and the hardware.

So if you like Mac OS X, there is no reason to believe that it (or the apps running on it) would suffer from putting an Intel chip underneath.

It's a smart move for Apple. Next, maybe they ought to wisen up and abandon the horribly outdated idea of the one-button mouse.

NatalieBayer
Fembot Central Staff

Post by NatalieBayer » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:38 pm

i work in a mac store (not to be confused with an apple store, were just a local place) and the buzz around my store is that it'll be good. Jobs said there would be some work to do with converting software, but he did say as long as you used the xcode it should be a matter of weeks and recomplile to get it to work. apparently windows WILL work on it, so if you wanted to partition your drive and do a dual boot OSX and windows you can. our prez and CEO was at the WWDC and he said that all the devolpers are overly extatic about this. it means that they can now code for a more conventional platform. a lot of them also think it may end the Apple vs. PC debate since they think that they could make it so most PC programs will run on the new intel procs...im jsut exited because the first chip that is schedualed to be released is a 3.67Ghz in the new iMacs and a dual core in the Pmacs...w00t to that baby...ohhhh yeah!

tinyspider

Post by tinyspider » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:19 am

So, if Apple built it's latest system based on x86 architecture, does that mean that eventually MacOS Tiger would run on a 'self built' PC?, or let's say, run on a PC partition???

MFG!!!! :shock: that would be awesome!!!

tectile

Post by tectile » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:25 am

A system that could boot either OSx or windows would go a long way twoard getting me to buy a Mac next time I upgrade my computer.

Bart

Post by Bart » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:08 pm

I heard the new Macs could be able to boot Windows (dual boot mode) but PCs wouldn't be able to run MacOS, becuase Intel does some modifications on the chip for apple. Well maybe some haxors will be able to fix that. :twisted:
This post was generated by automated means and is therefore valid without a signature.

code_author

Love Apple, they should have gone AMD

Post by code_author » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:28 pm

I own an IMAC and several laptops/P.C.s Intels aren't terrible, though I prefer AMD (more stable and approx 1.5x the performance for the buck.). The thing that always amazes me about the apples is the fact they can run the chips so cool with few or no fans. My Imacs make 0 noise, my intel laptap will burn my lap after an hour even though the fan is constantly going on and making noise. My AMD tower is quieter than my intel tower(slower fan speed) and much more stable.

The plus side is that Apple will now have a legitamate laptop chip something they did not with the power pc chips.

About the OS blowing up due to the chip, I doubt it, in fact 113.12 % out of 100.77777777773% of the computers run on intel... oh sorry I used my intel pentium 60(Which shattered) Pentium 90 (which got the above calculation), Pentium II(but it only affected users who ran numbers through the processor...huh?) and Itanium(First version recalled for faulty firmware post first shipping.)

In fact the majority of intel releases even up until recently have been plagued with technical problems (read poor engineering). Worry more about the machine blowing up than the OS.

We'll all still buy Macs, but now they'll run version OS10.2392178462649865874366543289728874396832498659823652645987265986255984325984598324
when apple starts using intel

Peace out,
Code
:cry:

Bart

Re: Love Apple, they should have gone AMD

Post by Bart » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:28 pm

code_author wrote:We'll all still buy Macs, but now they'll run version OS10.2392178462649865874366543289728874396832498659823652645987265986255984325984598324
when apple starts using intel
ROTFL :lol:

tinyspider

Post by tinyspider » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:52 pm

I've been using both platforms for years, and my veredict is: there's all sorts of cool/awful issues to deal with, whichever platform you use...

If you're a mac addict, you'll be a liar if you say a mac never crashes/freezes. I remember being forced to physically disconnect the freaking computer to restart it (that's when you love the 'reset' button :D )

If you're a PC addict, you're right code_author, a PC heats like it was fueled by diesel instead of electricity, I remember a beautiful, hand-made wooden blanket, almost melted by my laptop (that's when you'd really like to put your freaking computer on fire)

I tend to favor PCs instead of Macs, for 1 simple reason: Try to buy at least 1 cool game suited for such platform (I'll give the finger to whoever says 'Myst' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

keraptis
Technosexuality: Transformation
Identification: Human

Post by keraptis » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:08 am

araenae wrote:I remember a beautiful, hand-made wooden blanket
Wow, that takes me back. You almost never see hand-made wooden blankets anymore.

:wink: :P

code_author

Wooden Blankets...

Post by code_author » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:49 pm

Hey A, when I was a wee lad in Holland, our blankets wood(PTP) always go on fire. :lol:

Sorry,had to

Code

tinyspider

Re: Wooden Blankets...

Post by tinyspider » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:41 pm

that's what happen when you type after being working too much and drinking too much caffeine, my poor translation skills tends to embarrass me

'wooden' heheheh :oops:
(... I better go to sleep now)

droid_boy

Post by droid_boy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:57 pm

A pentium M based Powerbook excites me in ways that only a scandalously dressed fembot could....

Bart

Post by Bart » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:45 pm

droid_boy wrote:A pentium M based Powerbook excites me in ways that only a scandalously dressed fembot could....
The time has come!
Macworld 2006: Watch the keynote (aka Stevenote) http://macworld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/mw/index.html. Jobs is a genius and does a great job presenting the new stuff ("There's one more thing...").

Intel MacBook Pro; Intel Core Duo CPU, up to 4 X faster than the latest G4 powerbook: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

They've also put a Core Duo into the iMac thus making it 2 X faster: http://www.apple.com/imac/.

Guess for most of you this is uninteressting or even boring.. But hey, Macs are damn sexy! :!: Get one NOW.

Bart

Post by Bart » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:55 pm

Just re-read the thread a bit and noticed that a lot has changed in the Apple universe last year:
keraptis wrote:It's a smart move for Apple. Next, maybe they ought to wisen up and abandon the horribly outdated idea of the one-button mouse.
Now they have the Mighty Mouse. Well it costs 60 bucks or so :-\ At least their prices didnt change :-)