Lucy

Feel free to post any friendly non-asfr related talk here. No character play.
dale coba
Technosexuality: Transformation
Identification: Human

Lucy

Post by dale coba » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:17 am

I saw a trailer on t.v. for "Lucy" starring Scarlett Johansson, in U.S. theaters July 25th.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2092674329

I could've sworn we discussed this movie, but searching the forum for "Lucy" or "Scarlett" or Nano-whatever led to nothing. I bet this movie will be very successful and break new ground for many audiences. Drool, drool, big ideas, action fun, Morgan Freeman...

You know I'll probably grab the first cam available for the FTP, no matter how noisy and shaky; then a clean release when available; and finally some 14 GB Blu-ray rip - because she's worth the high definition.

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

darkbutflashy

Re: YouTube and other video finds 2014

Post by darkbutflashy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:40 am

From the trailer, I expect all the worst. :| Hey, it's Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman in there, why would we need a congruent plot or even novel ideas?

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:56 am

Doubters and grumps, you're acting like Frank Oz landed on your favorite franchise, crushing its symbolism and twisting its values. Chill out, nobody here is invested, except that I'm sure we all want to continue to see Scarlett's career prosper.

To me it looks like the fun of The Matrix, without Keanu or that stupid "real world", the one with the people in the tubes.

I can put up with the "10% of the brain" bullshit, just to not have to deal with human beings as an electrical supply!

Trading Keanu for Scarlett would be worth a great deal more incoherence, and The Matrix wasn't exactly short on that stuff. If my guess that these films are similar is correct, they care much more about having fun than making more than 84% absolute sense. (percentage is an approximate guess, chosen because it is twice 42)

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

smalk
Technosexuality: Built

Post by smalk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Really original idea. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219289/

Btw, how does it concern in any way this topic?

Karel

Post by Karel » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:03 pm

smalk wrote:Really original idea.

Btw, how does it concern in any way this topic?
Ehk, it probably doesn't (I guess it depends on how much of her brain is colonized by nanites), but who cares? Yes, it's a daft premise, but that doesn't mean it won't be a fun movie (unlike Limitless, which sucked). Battle: Los Angeles only improved on "V" by saying that the aliens were after liquid water (because that makes so much more sense, scientifically), and I still enjoyed the hell out of that. Just sit back and be sure to use only 1% of your own brain.

N6688
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Android

Post by N6688 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:09 pm

10% of the human brain...
Everybody is using 100% of their brain.
Yes 30% of the human brain incompasses memory and personality.
But the rest of its computing power is used to operate & maintain the body itself.
"Robot wives have needs, too"
Goku, Dragonball fighterZ 2017

jknight_2000

Post by jknight_2000 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Actually that is true and false. Yes ... in theory were using 100% for all brain functions. But in reality, the average human only uses 10% of maximum cognitive power of the brain in normal daily life. Cognitive exercise to train the brain actually have the ability to increase that number to 15%-20%, but at 100% - good lord, that is a scary prospect.

dale coba

Re: Lucy

Post by dale coba » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:41 am

"We only use 10% of our brains" has two possible interpretations.

1) physical matter, a percentage of the volume of the whole of the human brain.
That's the one that gets so well dissected and disproved.

I think it's worth noting that the average person wouldn't care in the least what percentage of the physical brain was involved, if the increased intellectual capacity were really significant. Some smart Alec might still be asking the same question, but we're not talking about that alternate world. In this world, the laymen generally do believe falsely that only 10% of the physical matter is involved; but what the laymen care about and are very sloppily referring to is the second meaning.

2) cognitive capacity, which need not have a direct relationship to the total physical brain percentage in use.

You could drive a plane around on the ground, or you could use it to fly somewhere. On the ground, the plane is certainly operating at less than 10% of its capacity to travel distances. Now imagine Morgan Freeman saying "We only use 10% of the plane." It sounds stupid because it is, when the idea of capacity is condensed so far as to lose all sense.

Watching bowling stimulates far less capacity than watching the Simpsons, though we know the volume of brain involved doesn't change. Archer is the other show that comes to my mind, in terms of requiring the most focus to understand absolutely every strange, obscure joke and reference as they rapidly occur.

- Dale Coba

dale coba

Re: Lucy

Post by dale coba » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:29 pm

My idle, idle speculations: I wonder if there's a usage in those much-played 1950s high school educational films. I'd much rather hear Troy McClure speak the line, than hear it from Morgan Freeman - but in Lucy Mr. Freeman is being paid to try to entertain, and not attempting to educate and stoke debate as with his Through the Wormhole program.

In my head, I can't really make a World War II era or earlier documentary announcer say things that dumb, that abstract and squishy (Reefer Madness aside). Perhaps it could have been said in an advertisement on the radio even earlier; but it's certainly the kind of dumb thing any television advertiser or sit-com writer could have used.

- Dale Coba