BBS Use - post building / tangents

Post your suggestions and comments about Fembot Central.
BethBot0101
Banned

Post by BethBot0101 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:14 am

Okay, who was the wiseguy that deleted my post?

All I said was I didn't have a TV.

Like another board I've been on, this board doesn't need a lot of moderating. Just a little.

Or did I do it to myself and erase my memory banks? :shock:
World Domination through transformation.

KOS-MOS
Retired staff member

Post by KOS-MOS » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:59 am

[ I purged the above message from a post in "reports" as to avoid going off topic ]

Bethbot, sorry I did not inform you before you noticed your post was deleted. I deleted it because it was a one-liner that really did not have anything to do with the thread other than it being about a show which was going to be airing on TV. Deleting your post was nothing personal, just an attempt to keep the board on topic and as free of "junk posts" as possible. Please do not let this discourage you from posting in the future, just try to make each post relevant - or use the off-topic forum + chatroom for friendly babble :)

All users, that goes for you too! :wink:

BethBot0101
Banned

Post by BethBot0101 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:00 am

Um, deleting is a bad idea.

After a while you drift into ethical and moral issues of control (look at MacCentral for a good example of what not to do)

What some boards do is just move a thread if that happens.

:sigh:

I like the way the AtAT board works.

http://atat.pmmpsoftware.com

What would you have done if I had said:

------
I don't have a TV but, this sounds interesting.
------

That is a one liner but, is on topic and truthfully contains no more info than what I said. In other words going down the deletion route opens up a whole can of worms.

<edit>
I probably post more on this and that other board than I should but, tend to post on topic as a general rule. Humor can be off topic too, if you are really narrow about it.

FYI, on that other board I'm "Elizabeth".

Not trying to pick on you just trying to point out the fallacy of deleting posts.
</edit>

Magoo
Technosexuality: None of your business
Identification: Human

Post by Magoo » Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:07 pm

Lemme apply my IRC philosophy to this board...

If you don't like it, go somewhere else. I don't see you paying the bills or doing all the work. Therefore, if you don't like it, then too bad.

Would you like a board spammed about as much as alt.sex.fetish.robots? If not, then shh...

*troll*
-- Magoo --

KOS-MOS
Retired staff member

Post by KOS-MOS » Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:14 pm

Honestly, the only thing I think that I did wrong here was not contact you quickly after deleting that post. I am sure if you look around the forums you will find that there is not strict moderating going on in any area, despite threads wandering off-topic and little humor posts here & there. I have never deleted posts in the past and at the most my moderating has been renaming topics [so they are easier to find] or splitting up threads that wander too far on different tangents [which is something you have been guilty of and there was no harsh moderating of].
BethBot0101 wrote:What would you have done if I had said: I don't have a TV but, this sounds interesting.
Probably left it alone, as you can see posts somewhat like that found untouched in several other threads here. The post that was deleted was sort of like the straw that broke the camel's back, as far as the issue of posting for the sake of posting.

The ASFR community has been online for many years and has often had it's forums plagued by spammers or littered with flame wars. As I see it, we are doing a pretty good job of running a comfortable and informative environment. Feel free to e-mail me if you wish to discuss this further.

BethBot0101
Banned

Post by BethBot0101 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:16 pm

Magoo wrote:Lemme apply my IRC philosophy to this board...

If you don't like it, go somewhere else. I don't see you paying the bills or doing all the work. Therefore, if you don't like it, then too bad.

Would you like a board spammed about as much as alt.sex.fetish.robots? If not, then shh...

*troll*
spam is the ONLY acceptable use of this.

As for money, no one asked for any.

On a certain other board I contribute funds on occasion.

Frankly, your attitude is appalling.

<edit>
For those who don't know, Sabina started this thread.
</edit>

BethBot0101
Banned

Post by BethBot0101 » Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:27 pm

Sabina,

What is your e-mail you don't have an e-mail button.

I tried PMing you but, it seems to be disabled.

I'm of the camp that feels that deleting is bad unless it is spam.

Another way to deal with spam, is to ban someone from the originating IP of the spam and to contact their ISP to have their service terminated.

KOS-MOS
Retired staff member

Post by KOS-MOS » Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:39 pm

ehy had me under the impression that my e-mail address was visable on my profile. I will contact you.

href

Post by href » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:44 pm

Never have I met a more even handed and self controlled member of the ASFR community as Sabina. The time and effort that she gives to this group is equalled by none. If Sabina has seen fit to edit or delete a post, then I support her without hesitation.

href

noidguy
Retired staff member

Post by noidguy » Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:01 pm

href wrote:Never have I met a more even handed and self controlled member of the ASFR community as Sabina. The time and effort that she gives to this group is equalled by none. If Sabina has seen fit to edit or delete a post, then I support her without hesitation.

href
I'll second that. Sabina does a great job - here and on robotgirl. Where does she find the time?! :)