The V.I.C.I Diaries - Broken (Part 10)

Share your fembot fiction and fantasies here or discuss the craft of writing by asking for or giving suggestions.
DukeNukem 2417
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

The V.I.C.I Diaries - Broken (Part 10)

Post by DukeNukem 2417 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:33 pm

“And you're sure it was the same program that....affected Casey?”

Anton's furrowed brows held none of the fear Vicki had seen earlier. “An earlier version of it,” she replied, “but I could recognize the base code. It was a lot more...rudimentary than what took Casey down---”

“If by 'rudimentary',” Galatea cut in, “you mean 'utterly broken', then yeah.”

Vicki frowned, but continued. “It wasn't affecting him at all, to be honest. Either the car was too far away from him to provide an effective 'blast radius' for it, or---”

“Or nothing,” Galatea insisted. “The code from that thing was less sophisticated than a Sega Genesis game!”

“Did you look at the records of what happened with Casey?” the brunette gynoid inquired.

“Sophia filled me in earlier. I know what happened to Casey, and the idiots who sent those self-driving scrap-mobiles after Epsilon weren't the ones who hit her....” The silver-skinned Field Agent shook her head. “Just trust me on this, Vicki....we're dealing with two entirely separate campaigns here, masterminded by two very different parties.”

“So we've got a lot of people gunning for Epsilon,” Vicki groaned. “Great.....”

Galatea rolled her eyes at her colleague's sarcasm. “All I know for certain is that what happened to Casey wasn't sanctioned by the DVS,” she stated. “Casey was working on low-level ops that had nothing to do with Epsilon, or anything you've dealt with...” She paused, noticing a look in Vicki's eyes that toed the line between hurt and angry. “...I probably could've worded that a bit better,” she admitted. “What I meant---”

“You meant to say that Casey wasn't working on cases with the magnitude of the Silicon Dynamics incident,” Anton finished. “She's always stayed under the radar.”

At this, Vicki nodded, turning to glance at Galatea. “That is what you meant, right?”

“Dad always did say I tripped over my own tongue,” the silver-skinned gynoid admitted. “And yeah, that's what I meant. Casey wasn't rank-and-file, but she wasn't a star agent, either....the DVS would have to be either really paranoid or really stupid to target her.” She sighed, drumming her fingers along the service of Anton's desk. “....so that means we're dealing with a third party. Somebody.....”

She paused. “Anton, call up a list of cancelled product releases from United Robotronics over the last year.”

After a few seconds of silence, the roboticist nodded. “....not much that qualifies for what happened to Casey,” he stated, “but....there's a security product here. Pulled from testing after, and I quote, 'undesirable and totally destructive' side-effects on units....” He leaned in close to the monitor. “.....you're not going to believe this.”

“The side-effects were all heat-based?” Vicki mused.

“'Heat-based' would be an understatement.” Anton turned away from the monitor, shaking his head. “It reads like an eyewitness report of what happened to Casey....graphic stuff.”

“Can you get this information to Sophia as soon as possible?” Vicki asked. “She's out doing....rounds...”

“PR work,” Galatea clarified. “She's making sure that nobody saw anything of Epsilon's little jaunt. Which leaves us to find out why the DVS went after Epsilon with outdated and incredibly unsafe tech..”

“What about who used the new version of it?”

Vicki's question earned her intrigued looks from Anton and Galatea.

“If we find out who used the newer version of that program,” the brunette gynoid continued, “we might be able to keep them or anyone else from using it on Epsilon. And...well, I'm pretty sure Casey wouldn't want us to just drop the whole thing instead of finding out who nearly scrapped her---”

“Even if there is a link between what happened to Casey and the driverless cars going after Epsilon,” Galatea interjected, “there's no way we can....Vicki, are you pinging me right now?!”

Not you specifically. I'm taking a close look at the surveillance records, anything from the DVS or other parties that could be connected....” V.I.C.I's eyes took on a dull hue for a second. “.....a name keeps coming up,” she stated. “I have a confirmed sighting of someone named Mills leaving a meeting at a United Robotronics building.

Anton frowned. “Mills? Max Mills?”

“You've heard of him?” Galatea inquired.

“Only occasionally. He's not exactly the kind of person I ever thought would be hanging around the DVS, or even us...lost his parents to an industrial robotics accident.” The roboticist crossed the room to a computer that was, at the moment, running stats for a turn-based game of some kind. “Except not everyone thinks it was an accident,” he continued. “In any case, Max stayed away from Silicon Valley for a few years after that. Once or twice, he showed up for shareholder meetings, never really said much...”

“So why would he have an interest in us? Or in---”

I just got another hit,” V.I.C.I interjected. “Casey's last known activity before she got to my house was at an old factory owned by---”

“Max Mills?” Galatea finished.

It was V.I.C.I's turn to look annoyed; “Who's pinging who now?” she queried. “No pings were invovled,” Anton replied. “Mills owns several factories in and around San Jose---he actually had a bid in to buy the foundry where R-528 was hiding, at one point.” He paused. “...strange....” Galatea arched an eyebrow, glancing over at Anton. “What's strange?”

“Someone with such a low interest in the robotics industry would go through that much trouble to buy up so many factories, steel mills, and even old electronics surplus warehouses.” Anton cupped his chin in one hand, pondering the implications. “Either he's finally decided to let go of the whole 'a robot killed my parents' thing....or he's heard of us.” The roboticist scowled, almost as if Max Mills' “hearing of” the ALPA could be nothing but bad news. “He's been in and around the Valley long enough, he's heard the rumors about us, and about what we do.” He glanced at the brunette gynoid, not smiling. “He's testing the waters.”

V.I.C.I scowled. “He could've tested the waters without bricking one of our Field Agents.

“Then maybe it's time we test him, in return,” Galtaea suggested, running one hand through her hair---earning a bemused look from Anton as it changed from its familiar blacklight-purple to a dirty-blonde color. “Maybe an interview with the SJSU campus paper is in order....and while I'm asking the questions---” A trilling sound from Anton's pocket cut him off. “...you might want to hold off on that idea,” he replied, retrieving his phone. “Looks like the front office has issued....oh, dear GOD....”

“What now?” Galatea asked, sounding more annoyed than concerned.

“A dismantled gynoid was just dumped near the AutoYard where Kirsten had her...accident....one of our people was nearby, and they picked up traces of the same program that bricked Casey---”

Then let's not waste any more time,” V.I.C.I replied. “I'll drive.
-------------------------------------
“They caught two of them half a block down the road,” Agent Harris stated, glancing over his shoulder at a pair of kneeling, handcuffed figures. “Found him taking a leak behind the trash can, and they nearly busted him for indecent exposure....until our guy checked his phone.” He held up a cheaply-made, no-name iPhone knockoff, gesturing at the list of contacts. “Guess which name caught our attention...”

Galatea---her hair still dirty-blonde, and with a slightly tanned complexion that gave her the appearance of an amateur volleyball player---frowned. “So Dalton Sinclair, a former known associate of Brittney Delacroix and a few other....undesirable types...has Max Mills on speed-dial?”

“More like Max had him on speed-dial, probably,” Vicki muttered. “What about the gynoid?”

“The measurements match those of Max's chauffeur,” Harris replied. “She's still alive, by the way---someone apparently gave her an all-expenses paid trip to the Poconos.”

A smirk formed on Galatea's lips. “At this time of year?”

“Can we focus on the matter at hand, please?” Vicki chided. “Somebody replaced Mills' driver with a gynoid, and sent the real one to Pennsylvania....why?”

Harris shrugged. “Far as we know, Mills never had any dealings with the Coalition, the House---”

“And what about the DVS?”

The mention of those three letters prompted a scowl from Harris. “We already have one of our people trying to keep Octavia Martinet from going after Mills with an army of lawyers,” he quietly replied. “Apparently he gave an unscheduled 'demonstration' of some kind----”

“At a United Robotronics building?” Vicki finished. “I checked the surveilance records---”

“After you pinged me,” Galatea murmured.

Vicki gave her a look, ignoring Harris' attempts to not grin. “....anyway, Mills was spotted leaving a meeting at a United Robotronics meeting.....you think that 'demonstration' was why?”

“Could be. You think he was 'demoing' the same thing that took down Casey?”

“It might explain why the DVS is pulling an old program out of the mothballs to take down Epsilon...and I'm pretty sure that their version is the same one used to brick the gynoid that was dumped here.” Vicki headed for the gynoid in question---or rather, the remains of the gynoid in question. “The digital signature is....maybe it's just me, but it's sticking around like a bad smell.”

The brunette gynoid's remark prompted a gasp from Galatea. “...I can detect it, but it's not that strong---”

“Because you're not tuned into the entire AutoYard.” Vicki didn't even look back over her shoulder at her fellow Field Agent as she spoke; “It feels like all I have to do is look one way, and I can get the weekly output of that crusher over there,” she continued, her voice low. “Or look the other way and know when the retrieval trucks will be here for the recycled parts...” She closed her eyes, slowing to a stop. “...it feels like I can just...read the entire world around me,” she whispered, “like a big book. But I can't close the book.....”

“You can only walk away from the table.”

The hand on Vicki's shoulder briefly lost its flesh-like feel and coloration, the “skin” retracting into Galatea's shirt sleeve to reveal silver again. “I know how you feel,” she quietly informed her fellow Field Agent.

“....so how did you deal with it?” Vicki replied.

Behind them, Harris gave a quiet cough.

“I'll tell you later,” Galatea assured her fellow Field Agent. “And while I'm thinking about it, how did one of our guys 'pick up' the signal---”

“They ran a trace for the code that took out Casey. 98.5% match.” Harris shook his head. “If this is a new outbreak...we're going to need every available operative out here to contain---”

“They're already containing Epsilon,” Vicki reminded him. “If we get them out here to contain this...”

Harris waved away her concerns. “They know how to regulate between missions. They can multitask---”

“It's not about multitasking. If the same thing that happened to Casey happens to any more of our active Field Agents....” Vicki turned away. “We can't afford to lose anyone else. Especially not now.....and especially not to some would-be 'major player' trying to get involved in things they can't possibly understand.” An air of cold bitterness, bringing such a sharpness to the second half of “understand” that one could almost feel its edge, punctuated her words. It barely sounded like she herself had spoken.

“....whoever started this,” she added, nearly whispering, “needs to be stopped.”

Galatea took a step towards Vicki, shying away from Harris' hand on her shoulder. “....they will be stopped,” she assured her fellow gynoid, “just....we need time---”

“The longer we wait,” Vicki snapped, “the more chance there is of more androids dying like Casey did!”

Harris actually flinched at the word “dying”, and Galatea froze mid-step.

“This....this isn't a matter of paper-pushing and 'official channels',” Vicki continued, somewhat calmer but still visibly shaken. “If this Max Mills...person....is responsible, we need to find him. Now. Otherwise, he'll try to cover his tracks, and by the time we get any kind of lead on him....” The fingers of her right hand clenched, and neither Harris or Galatea wanted to see what might happen if the brunette gynoid decided to punch in the general direction of anything in her vicinity. “Casey....she felt every bit of what happened to her.....”

She stopped. Noticed that the AutoYard was now shrouded in fog...just like the ALPA HQ conference room a few weeks prior. “No,” she murmured. “Not this....not now.....”

“Would you prefer I deliver this little pep talk after Epsilon dies?”

Vicki forced herself to look up, despite knowing that the figure whose back was turned to her wasn't even there in the physical sense. “....you're supposed to be in lock-up,” she muttered, “awaiting transfer---”

“I know the details of my own incarceration, and they have nothing to do with why I'm here...Vicki.”

“What about how?” the gynoid Field Agent countered. “You shouldn't even be able to---”

“I was given an opportunity to make one phone call.” The white-clad figure turned, slightly, to glance in Vicki's direction. “I used that opportunity to call you---”

“Last time I checked, phone calls don't do this!” Vicki was close to tears. “Why are you---”

“To be quite honest....I didn't make the fog this time. As soon as the call went through....well, you were telling Galatea earlier that it felt like you could 'read the world' some times....” The figure chuckled. “I just gave you a bit of extra background material....”

Slowly, Vicki's “caller” turned to face her. “...and you did the rest. 'Your mind makes it real', and all that...”

“You think this is funny, or something?!” Now, the tears did come, streaming down Vicki's cheeks in twin trails as she beheld the image of the man who, less than a week before, had sworn to kill Epsilon---and Vicki herself, due to her insistance on protecting him---on sight. “Why are you doing this to me, Oberon?!

“'To' you?” Oberon echoed, frowning. “I'm doing this for you, Vicki...to keep you from making a big mistake...”

He sighed. “....the same mistakes I made. The ones that nearly ended your life.”

The fog cleared, slightly, but Vicki barely noticed. “I'm trying to save Epsilon---”

“Yet you also want to find Max Mills before what happened to Casey can happen to anyone else,” Oberon finished. “I've heard all about that...Clive insisted that I be kept up to date on this whole sordid affair. Rather decent of him, considering my...appalling behaviour, as of recent days, but that's beside the point....” His tone softened. “....I know now, and I probably should've figured it out far earlier, that killing Epsilon was the worst thing I could've done, and a damned stupid course of action to even attempt,” he admitted. “I...fell back on old habits, from before I ever joined the ALPA, and I let blind rage be my guiding light---”

WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MAX MILLS?!” Vicki snapped, stopping only when she realized Oberon (or the image of him, at least) was approaching her. “It has,” the soon-to-be ex-Chairman quietly replied, “everything to do with him....and with you.” Now, Vicki could see the tears on Oberon's face, even as he continued speaking in a calm, even tone. “I was a fool, hunting Epsilon the way I did. People were hurt---a few nearly died, because of my damn fool idealistic crusade...I walked the wrong road, and it nearly led to my own end.”

A gloved hand rested on Vicki's shoulder, and for the briefest moment, the gynoid swore she could feel it.

“Choose your path carefully, Vicki,” Oberon whispered. “Yours is not the way of the warrior....not this time.”

Then what do I do?” the brunette gynoid pleaded, closing her eyes as if the entire thing was just a bad dream she could wake up from at any moment. “What can I do?

Two words, barely even distinguishable as the noises of the AutoYard came rushing back, sounded in her ears.

You'll know.

She knew, even as she sank to the ground in a kneel, that Harris and Galatea were right behind her. She knew they were talking; she could hear bits of words through her sobs, but not much else. Not that she cared, by that point...

….mainly, due to the horrible possibility that what she could do was, for lack of a better term, nothing.

“Vicki?”

Galatea's voice registered, briefly, but earned no response. “....there's nobody else here, Vicki,” Harris quietly added. “It's just the three of us....”

Silently, Galatea helped Vicki to her feet. “I'll call Ted,” she informed Harris, “tell him to---”

“No.”

Even with her eyes still locked on the spot where Oberon's image had been standing, Vicki spoke to Galatea with that air of finality she'd become so well-known for. “I can handle this. Even if I don't know how, right now, I will.” She gave a half-nod, then set off towards the car that had Galatea had driven to reach the AutoYard.

“....I'll say this much,” Galatea murmered. “She never gives up, and never gives in....just like Ted.”
Within the confines of United Robotronics' San Jose branch office, Octavia Martinet sat motionless before a 72-inch plasma screen---optimized for teleconferencing calls---built into the wall opposite her desk. To the uninitiated, it would appear that she was simply waiting for an important call....

….unless they dared to look closer.

No breath stirred her lithe figure. No telltale, human twitch moved any of her extremities. Not once did she even blink; she just sat, staring at the screen---without seeing it. Instead, her ocular sensors were analyzing the footage recovered from both driverless cars that had, about an hour ago, been deployed to take down Epsilon using an outdated version of the Helios program that Max Mills had “demonstrated”. Octavia had never said a word to Harmony, Melody or Siren about the incident---at the time, she legitimately had nothing to say, having felt no reaction to the sight of a fellow gynoid being destroyed from within. Harmony, Melody and Siren had simply watched her leave the conference room, never once questioning her decision or asking where she was going.

Had they seen her locked in her office, ten minutes later....

During Allegra's immolation, Octavia had---without the knowledge of Harmony, Melody or Siren---initiated a direct link to the stricken gynoid's systems. She'd actually recorded Allegra's mental and emotional reaction to her own death, running multiple checks for the Helios code (all of which came back negative) in the process.

Inside her office, with the door locked and all sound buffers in the walls in place....

….she loaded and played back Allegra's final moments, allowing her to see, hear and feel them for herself.

Two and a half minutes later, Octavia---stripped to her underwear, chest heaving with simulated breath and close to tears---realized just how painful the other gynoid's demise had been.

She'd taken her clothes off due to something akin to phantom limb syndrome---except in her case, it was more like phantom flame syndrome. She felt the fire on her clothes, on her and in her....saw, through Allegra's eyes, herself watching dispassionately....heard the pleading (and demanding) of the other three to do something, anything, to help their stricken comrade....

….and for the first time since her activation, Octavia Martinet truly understood fear.

She'd called the Baron shortly afterwards---her shirt still open, her skirt hiked up to a nearly-obscene degree; her words had come out in a low, hoarse croak. She'd told the Baron exactly what had happened to Allegra, and what she'd just done to further understand it---and, in all honesty, to see if she could even empathize with the now-scrapped gynoid or her grieving colleagues.

For a few seconds, she'd heard only silence....but finally, the Baron's voice spoke, resonant even through the phone's tiny speaker: “Tell no-one of your...experiment. Compose yourself, and log all memories of your test to a private, encrypted external drive, to be delivered to me when I see fit. As for your concerns regarding a possible lack of empathy....” A low, rumbling chuckle punctuated the sentence. “....I was personally responsible for the coding of your emotions, your personality....your self, if you will. Had you chosen to continue on with your existance without your experiment, a 'natural' empathy towards Allegra, and her colleagues, would have developed over time. Your...curiosity, in regards to your limits, your...being...is welcome, and warranted...but do not allow your desire for self-discovery and introspection to cloud your thought processes. Your duties to United Robotronics, to our cause, and to me all take precedence.

“Thank you, Baron. Serving you is an honor and a privilege.”

And you serve me well, Octavia. Continue to do so, and your future will be most rewarding.

With that, the call had ended. The only other “event” on Octavia's schedule was a conference call....

…thus leading to her current state. Sitting motionlessly, her clothing once again meticulous, she continued internally analyzing the latest Epsilon sighting and doing her best to not dwell on Allegra's agonizing end. That last task was made significantly easier, due to her decision to view the Epsilon footage---which, in and of itself, would've been cause for concern to anyone else in her position. The outdated version of Helios had done nothing to incapacitate Epsilon, or even slow it down...

The thought of asking Max Mills to use his version of Helios on Epsilon, to incapacitate the hybrid, was looking more and more appealing by the second.

By the time her secretary had sent the notice that the call was coming through, Octavia had begun loading her human emulation drivers once again, closing all files related to Epsilon's latest rampage. The slightest twinge occasionally stirred her figure, but otherwise she remained motionless.....

...and after five seconds, her eyes closed, only to open again as she inhaled a deep breath. The gesture was purely aesthetic, but it did wonders to help her attain a state of calmness before the call. She settled into her chair, steepling her fingers just as the screen on the far wall activated.

Almost as fast as Octavia could blink, she found herself staring down Max Mills.

“Mr. Mills,” she beamed, as if his contacting United Robotronics was the most pleasant surprise she'd had in a long time. “I was wondering if we could get a chance to discuss your...demonstration, earlier today---”

“So you're not going to have me arrested for destruction of property?” Mills replied, arching an eyebrow.

Octavia's lips parted in a polite smile. “The property in question has been disposed of...actually, I was just wondering if you could perform another demonstration of Helios for us---”

“Epsilon, right?”

It was Octavia's turn to arch an eyebrow in surprise. “....I'm afraid that information is---”

“If you're going to give your people encrypted passwords,” Mills replied, “don't give them the 'Horse Bonnet Overture Fluctuation' bullcrap---I have at least five programs that broke through every single password at your building in about five minutes.” He grinned. “But yes, I'm talking about Epsilon. And I'd be honored to take a shot at bringing it down....whatever it is.”

Not missing a beat, Octavia nodded. “And you'll be willing to work with United Robotronics personnel?”

“I was thinking more along the lines of....your people,” Max suggested. “DVS people.”

This time, Octavia was momentarily stunned. Max Mills, a virtual outsider to the world she knew---the world that created her---had just name-dropped three initials that, to him, should've meant nothing. “....I...don't know if I can arrange something on such short notice,” she began, “but if you give me---”

“An hour. You get one hour, and then I take Helios somewhere else. Or do you intend to replace more of my staff if I refuse an 'exclusive work offer'?”

A thought process somewhere within Octavia's artificial mind recalled seeing a memo that Mills' chauffeur had, a few weeks prior, been given a free trip to the Poconos, on the Baron's orders. She'd thought nothing of it at the time, and had never thought to mention it to the Baron at all. “...I'm afraid I don't have any information on that,” she replied. “Working with us is entirely up to you---”

“Then I accept. Tell me where and when you want me to use Helios against Epsilon, and it's a done deal.”

“....associates of mine will send you the information later on today,” Octavia replied, “and---”

Mills cut her off with a slight hand wave, his image on the screen looming large over the entire room. “I don't deal with 'associates', Miss Martinet. Either you give me the details, and I handle this Epsilon situation, or you can find yourself another operator for this little operation.” He smirked; “You're not as....dismissive of Helios as you were during my previous demonstration,” he mused. “Care to tell me what exactly changed your mind?”

“Our own iterations of Helios are far less refined than what you used in your demonstration,” Octavia calmly replied. “Epsilon may be more...vulnerable to the updated Helios code you possess----”

“So you're only asking for my help because you can't get the job done on your own,” Mills finished.

The slightest frown crossed Octavia's lips. “My reasons for requesting your assistance are my business,” she replied, her tone turning frosty for the first time in the conversation. “Your cooperation will benefit both yourself and the DVS...unless, of course, you continue to show such a cavalier attitude.” She leaned forward, steepling her fingers as she stared at the larger-than-life feed of Max Mills on the monitor. “My time,” she stated, “is very valuable, and I don't like wasting it with people who focus more on...stroking their egos, than getting the job done.” She nearly smirked at that last remark---clearly, when it came to people who got a massive kick out of “playing the game”, Max Mills fit the bill perfectly.

Max actually chuckled at the “stroking their egos” line; if the insult galled him, he hid it well. “My ego doesn't really have anything to do with this conversation---”

“Then you'll have no problem with me dictating the terms of our arrangement,” Octavia finished.

For a few seconds, Max looked as if he had a scathing comeback ready...but whatever insult was on his lips was left unspoken. “I'm all ears. You want to name the terms, be my guest---”

“And you'd do well to remember that you are my guest,” Octavia reminded him. She nearly added “as well as a guest of the Baron,” but decided against it---even if Mills knew of the DVS, it would be better to not mention the Baron unless she had to. Even a whisper of his existence had to be slipped into a conversation with the utmost discretion---his was not the kind of name one dropped casually, unless they were bored with living.

“I have no problem with that. Compromise is nothing new....I just didn't expect it this...early on.” The words were spoken calmly, but Octavia could tell that Mills wasn't quite used to having to deal with someone of her caliber. “Do we need to go over the particulars one more time, maybe for notes...?”

“I'd have thought you were paying enough attention to take all the notes you needed by this point.”

“....I have been, I just....” Clearly, Max had realized he was no longer the one controlling the conversation. “I think I've heard all I need to hear...hopefully, you've heard all you need---”

“I have. I'll meet you with the finall arrangement in an hour....as you requested.” Octavia smiled. With that, the conversation ended, punctuated with Max muttering some variation of “Fine by me” as the monitor winked out.

With a slight nod, Octavia rose from her seat---the memory of Allegra's destruction was already fading, which was just as well. Now, the focus could be shifted to the two-fold task at hand: Taking down Epsilon, and either recruiting or destroying Max Mills.

Her hand was just gripping the doorknob when she noticed a strange warmth emanating from it---her internal temperature regulation systems might've been acting up again. “I'll get it checked later,” she murmured---a bit surprised that she'd even spoken it out loud. With a frown and a shrug, she dismissed the issue---more than likely, it was just a false positive, something her internal software hadn't picked up on while she was waiting for the call from Mills.

Whatever it was, it could wait. Epsilon's destruction---as per the Baron's orders---took full priority for now.
"No one steals our chicks.....and lives!"

Propman
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Re: The V.I.C.I Diaries - Broken (Part 10)

Post by Propman » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:23 am

I get the feeling that Vicky is going to kick ass soon...