Feedback and You!

Share your fembot fiction and fantasies here or discuss the craft of writing by asking for or giving suggestions.
User avatarKishin
Fembot Central Staff

Feedback and You!

Postby Kishin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Hello fembot fans!

This is your friendly Moderator Kishin (guy with the big hammer)! :thumbsup:

In an effort to get more people posting feedback about stories, artworks, filmed content or just anything posted on this site, I felt the need to post some simple suggestions.

First remember that Fembot Central is a community. We all gather here to share news, art, stories and other materials related to all things fembotic! We all have strong opinions and have different things that make our motors purr and others that put the brakes on, that's natural. But when it comes to dealing with each other we need to remain as civil as we can be and try not to pick fights.

With that in mind here's some ways to provide good feedback on things. I'm going to use Willowisp and his virus Alert stories because we have a good relationship when it comes to feedback and I know he won't take it personally.

1. Don't be scared to post something. No one is going to flame you, and if they start, tell the mods and we'll slam the hammer down on them. Yes we DO ban people who can't play well with others, we don't like to, but we have done it.

2. Start with something positive. Something drew you to that post to begin with and whatever it was should be addressed in order to show the author you cared enough to post feedback. This will make the author more amenable to a critique.

example: Hey Willo! I really liked your Virus Alert story 3.12 The Rutsche is in the Hossenfeffer (yes I just made that up). I especially liked how you handled the dialogue between Ashley and Lyndsey in the lab!

or even: "Whoa dude! That scene with Sandra in the shower and an open panel malfunction made me need a change of underwear!"

3.Critiques are used to inform as well as help an artist grow. They are not for tearing people down or ridiculing them.

A lot of people have a misconception of a critique.

A critique is not: "Yo dipshit. Who the fuck taught you to write? I've seen 4th graders who could write more sexy fembot fiction that you!" :thumbsdown:

Its also not: "I find your stories denigrating to anything sentient and wish I had gouged my ocular cavities clean of meat with a dull piece of flatware before having seen it." :sick:

Its definitely not: "Your fantasies make me sick and you need professional help for posting this shit for people to see!"

Nor is it: " U SUK A PHAT DICK!!!!"

These are examples of flames. Though they are worded with a degree of cultural variance, they all serve to do the same thing: Piss people off. Don't do that.

Critiques should deal with both the merits and flaws of a story or piece of art.

"Hey Willo, although I liked the lab scene, I found the scene with Amy fellating the fruit to be sort of confusing and disturbing. Is there a reason you included this?" :?

or "Man, I'm not sure what you are trying to say by having Sandra spank that kitten. It was sort of a big turn off. Can you maybe include less of that in the future?" :(

or "Willo, I'm totally not getting it when you had Larry ask Shauna if she wanted him to " lubricate her cylinder and flush out her oil tank." Also I didnt get it when she replied that she wanted to "handle his great big rod and little roller bearings in a decidedly up and down fashion." What do you mean by that?"

This tells the author what you didn't like about a story and does it in a way that's not designed just to piss them off.

Pissing people off is not productive. It makes you look like an asshole, and it makes the person you are pissing off, hostile to you.

Notice I used a question in each critique? This gives the author a chance to respond and even clear things up. Believe me, authors love to answer questions and talk about their stories, with the possible exception of MadMechaCow who has steadfastly remained off the radar (callin you out Cow)! This also helps an author elicit information about what you'd like to see in a story. Its rare you'll find an author who completely ignores what people have to say about their work, afterall people will stop reading it if the author is constantly offending them.

Pretty much that's all you need to do. Even a couple of words of praise about an author or artists work will light their day up! I know authors who check this forum at least once every 3 hours just to see if someone has responded to their work, hoping someone took notice and had something to say!

One final piece of advice: If you read something all the way through and found it so irredeemable that you can find absolutely nothing positive to say about it at all, don't say anything. Silence is often its own message.
"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today. But the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." - Isaac Asimov

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Re: Feedback and You!

Postby Robotman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Here here. :applause:

We definitely need to increase the positive vibes here.

Postby gynoneko » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Thank you! Brilliant. Feedback is ALWAYS a plus, even if it is just "That was Awesome!". Although, constructive feedback is still better. I'd rather get "I loved how you handled the scene where Ellie and Matrix face off" or even "I was confused why you had Danny yell at Jennifer like that". These are always more constructive. I admit, I check the read numbers on my stories every day, and I love getting replies!
If my stories get no replies, you can believe I will not keep writing it, or will end it sooner rather than later.
Positivity goes a long way!
My heart and soul locked up in a cold steel frame
- Brian May

Postby Spaz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:25 pm

I must say this post made me more comfortable to post stories I've been sitting on for years.
“Sometimes we strive so hard for perfection that we forget that imperfection is happiness” - Karen Nave

Check out my stories: http://www.fembotwiki.com/index.php?title=User:Spaz#My_stories

Current story status: The Small Business Chronicles - Season Two (In Development)

Postby href » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:04 pm

:applause:

Postby apok » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 pm

+1
Give feedback properly or don't give it at all.
I've been fortunate to receive very helpful constructive feedback with my story posts, and anyone else deserves the same respect and advice.

Postby Mirage » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 am

THIS IS THE MOST STUPID SHIT I EVER READ IN ALL MY YEARS HERE!

(L)..' You know me how I feel about posting.

Being honest, I myself don't have the time many time to read big stories, so, I always read the short ones first. Long series, Sadly, I don't have the time for them. I Am sure they are very good too. Sorry about this.
MIRAGE

Postby daphne » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Next story submission: all fruit fellating and kitten spanking.

Postby australopith » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Prop and I would love some more feedback on our Contessa story, especially now that it's done. Is the current tone of this thread scaring possible feedback providers away? Don't worry—you needn't risk offending us.

Postby --Battery-- » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:51 pm

i read the two first chapters.
she reminds me of vampirella, but since i didn't read the original submit i don't know how she looks n_nU
she probably doesn't look like vampirella at all.
the setting is cool.

I would like to finish reading it, but i am also on something right now, so i don't have all the time i wish.
Also i feel any appreciation i might comment is meaningless in comparison others have given since i'm just a neighbour from the image board.
right now i feel i am not even the right person to give comment.
i feel authors get tired of simple feed backs like "nice", "i like it", "fap to that" and at the same time might get the sensation of over flattery, and i wouldn't like any one to believe that.

should we feel encouraged to say anything despite not being meaningful to help authors?
because i like a lot of stories but i never have anything insightful to add!

i wish we had something like a like button, fake internet points or something, not like the poll, something more secretive, reliable and that wouldn't hurt the authors by getting few, of course there are the views, but isn't there something hide here in the code that could help?

oh, by the way, you did the boom boom wasabi thing right?
that was great!
i loved it a lot, the characters, their personalities, the dominant yet unreliable robot boss woman, oh yes, i want to see her cause trouble, malfunction and see the jew guy (he is jew in my mind) trying to escape imposible mafia odds with no one finding boom boom is just a robot...i wouldn't like you to feel obliged to make a new chapter of it and also the same time i wouldn't like to feel obliged to read it and promote it. but if a new one suddenly appear i would probably silently enjoy it 8)
hmmm..

any way, forgive me for not being the feed you deserve :cry:

Next

Return to Stories