2050 Movie

Share or request information and reviews on various forms of fembot media.
(Please use the search option before requesting a review as it may have been covered in the past)

2050 Movie

Postby RobotMaster » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Last edited by RobotMaster on Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatarKishin
Fembot Central Staff

Re: 2050 Movie

Postby Kishin » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:43 pm

I'm hoping for good things, but I imagine the budget is pretty tiny. :faceoff:
"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today. But the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." - Isaac Asimov

Postby Svengli » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:01 pm

No matter how promising, this stuff is nearly always disappointing. That said, this appears amazing.

It's about sexbot in particular,
There's no apparent moralizing.
The actresses are extremely hot.
There's no indication of the usual of the "wait, they will get free will and rebel!" trope or any of the usual let-down tropes.

But then again, I don't need open panels, malfunctions or overt robotic behavior.

Edit: This review, visible only in webcache, gives an overall run-down of the movie. The conflict in the movie seems to be "will the man become emotionally stunted" or something. Which is just the premise I'd like. If the only conflict is "can handle an honest-to-god working sexbot", well, I'm willing to suffer and try.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hejKUYEFWcIJ:sonic-cinema.com/movie/2050/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=ubuntu

Postby Svengli » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 pm

So I've following the film. Not much more information but they claim they'll be in theaters this Valentine's Day (the 13th, five days from the day of this post). They've announced several theaters (in Boston, NYC, Baltimore and Houston).

Anyway, folks near those locations might check it out. I'm hoping there are more locations.

Postby ISAF » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Postby Svengli » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:08 pm

So the movie is out in a very few theaters (more or less one at a time, NY, LA, Baltimore).

Here's a review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgaGMDBs16Q

Summary: No twist, no "robots want their freedom" moment. The women play the robots as empty, robotic lovers. The plot is about what the men experience, basically. No indications of malfunctions or open panels.

For me, this sounds still pretty amazing, depending on how much screen time the robots get.

Postby Svengli » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 am

Continuing my obsession, here's another review:

https://www.thatmomentin.com/2050-review/

I'd quote a bit but selection is broken for me on site. But it again gives the hint the basic plot as "here's your robot lover, be careful of what you wish for".

Postby Svengli » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:44 pm

And just adding more news. The movie has apparently been commercially successful in that it was held over a week in it's limit run in LA.

Naturally, it's had mixed (poor to middling) mainstream reviews.

One quote that gives makes me interested is:

As for the “e-mates,” Holt does well to ensure they always feel artificial despite the human characters being quick to fall prey to their overt deception. This isn’t Blade Runner where people want the robots to look and feel imperceptible. No, this world instead seeks to know definitively that they aren’t. 2050 is about us as a species right now and how we’ve detached ourselves from humanity with smartphones and the internet. These “e-mates” are thus positioned on that same level of entertainment, research, and experiential tools with janky motions and unfeeling eyes programmed for compliance. They’re nothing without their user and provide an escape precisely because they’re fake—a distinction that allows those users to see just how good and necessary the “real” truly is.

See:

http://jaredmobarak.com/2019/02/21/2050/

Return to Reports