Quantic Dream's "Kara" returns in "Detroit"

Share or request information and reviews on various forms of fembot media.
(Please use the search option before requesting a review as it may have been covered in the past)
Saya
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Android

Re: Quantic Dream's "Kara" returns in "Detroit"

Post by Saya » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Karel wrote:
And criticizing a video game writer for a lack of subtlety seems a little desperate to me
It's one thing if it's a writer on a game where you run through corridors shooting people, or kick a chain of opponents in the face not showing a lot of subtlety in its plot development. It's another entirely if you're writing a story-based game and the writing sucks. As it's a story-based game, not having the writing be appealing, if not excessively well-written is like having a shooting game where the shooting elements are crap, or a fighting game where the fight mechanics are terrible.

Plus which, the writer in question (Cage) has also continued to display a real lack of understanding or sensitivity in portrayals of things that are actually offensive to many people. Things like race, sexual assault and mental illness and depression. The fact that he's openly trying to say "this isn't about race relations, political violence or the city of Detroit, it's about androids" when it clearly takes cues from those subjects is just another massive red flag to anyone else familiar with Cage's work. He's done this sort of thing before and, clearly, he's doing it again here. It does not bode well for the quality of the writing in the game, though only time will tell if this proves to be the case. It's just not looking good from the outset.
Robotman wrote:I know where you're coming from. I'll probably buy it even if the plot is a hamfisted morality parable. And I've enjoyed the hell out of so many games that so many reviewers and communities have proclaimed were of no worth.
That said, I do agree with you, Robotman. If nothing else, annoying characters will make them much less sympathetic when they get fed into the car mulcher, and lord knows I like me some fembot destruction. Plus which, it will be fun to watch people savage. I probably won't be buying it though (not that I can with no PS4, anyway).
"If the time should ever come when what is now called science, thus familiarized to men, shall be ready to put on, as it were, a form of flesh and blood, the Poet will lend his divine spirit to aid the transfiguration, and will welcome the Being thus produced, as a dear and genuine inmate of the household of man."
- William Wordsworth