Quantic Dream's "Kara" returns in "Detroit"

Share or request information and reviews on various forms of fembot media.
(Please use the search option before requesting a review as it may have been covered in the past)
TW

Quantic Dream's "Kara" returns in "Detroit"

Post by TW » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:03 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/27/96223 ... etroit-ps4

Looks like the standard "blurring the line between android and human" kind of story, but with Quantic Dream's technology? I might actually have to get a PS4 now...

FaceoffFembot
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Re: Quantic Dream's "Kara" returns in "Detroit"

Post by FaceoffFembot » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:37 pm

lmao David Cage

Brytestar

Post by Brytestar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:52 am

I want to see how this plays out. Especially if they're using Detroit.
Sometimes you just gotta look at the Bryte side!

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by Spaz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:36 pm

I just saw a new trailer at E3, and unfortunately there was not even a hint of Kara...they instead showed a male android as the playable character.
Check out my stories: https://www.fembotwiki.com/index.php?title=User:Spaz

Current story status: The Small Business Chronicles: Season Two | The Doctor is in - The Clinic (In progress...)

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff

Post by Spaz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:55 pm

It looks like it's designed to be some sort of detective game, where you get to try out different angles in each scenario to solve a crime. Your character is sent to deal with corrupted, sentient, units.

Current story status: The Small Business Chronicles: Season Two | The Doctor is in - The Clinic (In progress...)

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff

Post by Spaz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:03 pm

Not familiar with the game, but from what I see in it's Wikipedia page, yes.

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff

Post by Spaz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:08 pm

Saya
Identification: Android

Post by Saya » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:57 am

Seeing as it is David Cage, I predict the following based on experiences with his prior games* :

- An absolutely gonzo, nonsense plot.

- Railroading you into plot decisions.

- Absolutely random out-of-nowhere love angles where the main (presumably male) character hooks up with the most prominent (and sexiest) female character out of nowhere, or despite dickery on one or the other's side.

- Random scenario in which central female character is molested/borderline raped, with ultimately very little bearing on the plot. Potential pointless nude scene.

- Casual racism, or a complete misunderstanding of a culture, presumably Native American.

- Plot points ripped-off wholesale from popular film or comic book franchises.

- Multiple characters and a slick interface.

My plot prediction: Main android character hooks up with Kara after knowing each other for a whole three minutes, despite being ordered to destroy her, after rescuing her from being duct-taped to the ceiling of an old motel room by a gang of rogue African-American troubadours, only to discover their closest friend was in fact the killer, who has been possessed by the wandering spirit of Dennis Rodman, who was cursed to unlife after being buried on ground sacred to Detroit's Inuit population.

( *each one of these points have appeared in at least two of David Cage's games since Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy )
"If the time should ever come when what is now called science, thus familiarized to men, shall be ready to put on, as it were, a form of flesh and blood, the Poet will lend his divine spirit to aid the transfiguration, and will welcome the Being thus produced, as a dear and genuine inmate of the household of man."
- William Wordsworth

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff

Post by Spaz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:30 pm

--NightBattery--

Post by --NightBattery-- » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:33 pm

Saya wrote:Seeing as it is David Cage, I predict the following based on experiences with his prior games* :

- An absolutely gonzo, nonsense plot.

- Railroading you into plot decisions.

- Absolutely random out-of-nowhere love angles where the main (presumably male) character hooks up with the most prominent (and sexiest) female character out of nowhere, or despite dickery on one or the other's side.

- Random scenario in which central female character is molested/borderline raped, with ultimately very little bearing on the plot. Potential pointless nude scene.

- Casual racism, or a complete misunderstanding of a culture, presumably Native American.

- Plot points ripped-off wholesale from popular film or comic book franchises.

- Multiple characters and a slick interface.

My plot prediction: Main android character hooks up with Kara after knowing each other for a whole three minutes, despite being ordered to destroy her, after rescuing her from being duct-taped to the ceiling of an old motel room by a gang of rogue African-American troubadours, only to discover their closest friend was in fact the killer, who has been possessed by the wandering spirit of Dennis Rodman, who was cursed to unlife after being buried on ground sacred to Detroit's Inuit population.

( *each one of these points have appeared in at least two of David Cage's games since Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy )
Dennis Rodman

Brytestar

Post by Brytestar » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:30 am

I didn't see a release date and two what's this about a PC version????
Sometimes you just gotta look at the Bryte side!

Erntoron

Post by Erntoron » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:36 pm

Both Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls were Playstation exclusive, I don't think they will release it for PC unfortunately. :(

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff

Post by Spaz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Just watched the Sony E3 2017 Press Conference...the game still doesn't even have a release window.

The latest trailer had no major ASFR content.

TheShoveller
Fembot Central Staff

Post by TheShoveller » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:32 pm

We were actually talking about it on Nathan / Tek's stream when we saw it. Kinda disappointing that the first two trailers showed a game where you might have had brief moments of action but it was mostly drama (a fembot trying to blend in with humans, and a robot cop trying to save human lives as well as robot ones,) and this third trailer basically falls into the "robot uprising" trope that Hollywood seems to have a hard-on for.

There was a really nice scene of a "robot store," though, for what it's worth.

Saya

Post by Saya » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 am

TheShoveller wrote: and this third trailer basically falls into the "robot uprising" trope that Hollywood seems to have a hard-on for.
Which becomes apparent even before the characters show up, because the trailer opens up with a black android singing a gospel song clearly in the context of being a "slave song".

Nice to see David Cage is still a master of both thematic subtlety and cultural sensitivity. :roll:
"If the time should ever come when what is now called science, thus familiarized to men, shall be ready to put on, as it were, a form of flesh and blood, the Poet will lend his divine spirit to aid the transfiguration, and will welcome the Being thus produced, as a dear and genuine inmate of the household of man."
- William Wordsworth

FaceoffFembot

Post by FaceoffFembot » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 am

Nathan

Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:44 pm

man the whole riot thing tends to piss me off, swear i need to make my own comic :P

N~

Svengli

Post by Svengli » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:13 pm

I think the only saving grace of the new video is that the whole overly earnest speech about "raindrops on my face" actually makes her seem completely fake. If that could be intentional, it would be a nice touch.

Actually, I just thought of a variation from the-same-old-plot (android "achieving consciousness and rejecting slavery, over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-agin). It would be a world where the android never achieved consciousness but made geniuses and hacker manipulated people into thinking they had, cult of deluded people believed it and the world continued on its way.

Otaru Mamiya

Post by Otaru Mamiya » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:00 am

Honestly, I don't really mind the robot uprising story since it's from the robots' point of view, and I'm fine with their self-awareness as an emergent property. We're already trying to create specifically intelligent machines, so this would be where sci-fi takes it a few steps further. What turned me off about this trailer was the way that they were becoming too human, and the parallels with human slavery.

That metaphor falls apart when you understand that these are machines underneath. The idea that they get angry, or that they see store display models as "our people" makes them seem too human. It isn't as compelling as something like Humans where it's clear from their behavior that they're robots, and the idea that they want anything at all, let alone to be seen as equals, is as new to them as it is to us. It could also be like Westworld, where there's a thin line between what the robot wants, and what it's programmed to want.

We haven't seen the final version of the game yet, so we don't know which direction they will go in with how the characters are written. There are some good ideas here, but if we just get a futuristic version of the 1960s civil rights movement, then I'm out.
"Don't sweat the petty things... don't pet the sweaty things..."

Karel

Post by Karel » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:28 am

Robotman wrote:I've seen some criticisms about David Cage's writing, to the effect that it's very trite, prone to cliché, and sits about at a high school level of "wow this is deep". I haven't played Heavy Rain or any of his other games, so I really can't comment for myself. I'll still buy this, but at this point I'm way more excited about Cyberpunk 2077.
Well, I don't know: I'm more excited that this game is actually going to exist at some point, so I might actually get to play it!

And criticizing a video game writer for a lack of subtlety seems a little desperate to me; just take account of the medium he's working in. But for the chance to play something like this, I don't really need it to be all that sophisticated.

Saya

Post by Saya » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Karel wrote:
And criticizing a video game writer for a lack of subtlety seems a little desperate to me
It's one thing if it's a writer on a game where you run through corridors shooting people, or kick a chain of opponents in the face not showing a lot of subtlety in its plot development. It's another entirely if you're writing a story-based game and the writing sucks. As it's a story-based game, not having the writing be appealing, if not excessively well-written is like having a shooting game where the shooting elements are crap, or a fighting game where the fight mechanics are terrible.

Plus which, the writer in question (Cage) has also continued to display a real lack of understanding or sensitivity in portrayals of things that are actually offensive to many people. Things like race, sexual assault and mental illness and depression. The fact that he's openly trying to say "this isn't about race relations, political violence or the city of Detroit, it's about androids" when it clearly takes cues from those subjects is just another massive red flag to anyone else familiar with Cage's work. He's done this sort of thing before and, clearly, he's doing it again here. It does not bode well for the quality of the writing in the game, though only time will tell if this proves to be the case. It's just not looking good from the outset.
Robotman wrote:I know where you're coming from. I'll probably buy it even if the plot is a hamfisted morality parable. And I've enjoyed the hell out of so many games that so many reviewers and communities have proclaimed were of no worth.
That said, I do agree with you, Robotman. If nothing else, annoying characters will make them much less sympathetic when they get fed into the car mulcher, and lord knows I like me some fembot destruction. Plus which, it will be fun to watch people savage. I probably won't be buying it though (not that I can with no PS4, anyway).
- William Wordsworth