Ghost in the Shell Arise

A forum dedicated to reporting and discussing Anime and Manga style media
(Please use the search option before requesting a review as it may have been covered in the past)
Yosuke

Ghost in the Shell Arise

Post by Yosuke » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... s-outlined

Looks like it is getting another series... well mini-series this year. It has the trailer on that link.
"In war, the soldier's job is to send their enemies to heaven as they stay behind in hell." -anonymous

WilloWisp
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human
Location: An infinite distance away in a direction which can't be described in 3-dimensions.

Re: Ghost in the Shell Arise

Post by WilloWisp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 am

Ghost in the Shell is a weird phenomenon. I honestly can't tell if the plots are impenetrable and vague due to poor storytelling, or to better convey the fact that augmented humans can "keep up," mentally and physically, far better than normal humans, illustrating to the viewer the immense pressure and near necessity to at least augment the mind.

Saya
Identification: Android

Post by Saya » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 am

Kishin wrote:Wish I could get excited about it. Every GiTs thing since the original has been overly convoluted and less enjoyable. Plus whoever they have doing the character designs on this latest one needs to be taken out and beaten for making Motoko look so awful with that badly hacked hair helmet. Yes I'll probably buy the damned thing. :P
The only GitS anime I ever got really confused with was Innocence, mostly because I just got lost in the awesome visuals (the fact that it was a Japanese dub might have helped some as well), but it took me about three viewings before I figured out what was going on. Stand Alone Complex was really one of the few animes I watched regularly, and I think the episodic format helps some. It also happens to cover a lot of things that I find fascinating (transhumanisim, information warfare, geopolitics), so for me the only part that really makes my head spin is when the characters go on long sphiels about philosophy.

I think there are two kinds of GitS fans out there. Those who enjoy the plot for being, if admittedly obtuse, full of interesting characters and plots. Then you have those who are there for the great visuals and action scenes. Not saying one is wrong and one is right, mind you. I lean more towards the second myself. :p
"If the time should ever come when what is now called science, thus familiarized to men, shall be ready to put on, as it were, a form of flesh and blood, the Poet will lend his divine spirit to aid the transfiguration, and will welcome the Being thus produced, as a dear and genuine inmate of the household of man."
- William Wordsworth

Yosuke

Post by Yosuke » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:42 am

Lol yeah innocence got me too. I had to watch twice to get a sense of it.

Apparently this new series takes place before Makoto joins section 9, which Ghost in the Shell's second season touched slightly. I am assuming that the show will take place towards the end of World War III.
"In war, the soldier's job is to send their enemies to heaven as they stay behind in hell." -anonymous

Saya
Identification: Android

Post by Saya » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Yosuke wrote:Lol yeah innocence got me too. I had to watch twice to get a sense of it.

Apparently this new series takes place before Makoto joins section 9, which Ghost in the Shell's second season touched slightly. I am assuming that the show will take place towards the end of World War III.
I was going to mention that I thought it was a prequel when I saw Aramaki's hair was brown instead of gray, but didn't want to go leaping off into random fan speculation. :p That, and in general, Motoko looks a fair bit younger herself, though that's pretty irrelevant when you're talking about a cyborg body. Still, I look forward to reading someone's review of the series before I go watch it myself.
"If the time should ever come when what is now called science, thus familiarized to men, shall be ready to put on, as it were, a form of flesh and blood, the Poet will lend his divine spirit to aid the transfiguration, and will welcome the Being thus produced, as a dear and genuine inmate of the household of man."
- William Wordsworth

A.N.N.
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation

Post by A.N.N. » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:32 am

I'm with you Saya. I've always like all the GiTS media (manga and video), though Innocence was the hardest to understand and it was a bit slow (for me). I suppose I fall into both camps, the ones that like the action and I like the complex plot and philosophy. I also like the Cyborg stuff, a lot. :D

I thought that the 2 seasons of SAC and Solid State Society were pretty straight forward compared to Innocence. Admittedly the plots make better sense on a second viewing.

Regardless, I'm excited about anything new in GiTS. But I hope they keep the same music guy from SAC.
A.N.N.

--NightBattery--

Post by --NightBattery-- » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:43 am

a prequel.
prequels are hard to take seriously.
but its alright, at least GiTS has an interesting backstory with american empire,global warming, holy catholic russia and stuff like that.
the characters are interesting and the tech that is featured in the show is always amazing, even if the plot gets political and confusing.
the world needs science fiction though.
so this is FTW :)

this motoko sure is skinny
Last edited by --NightBattery-- on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

--NightBattery--

Post by --NightBattery-- » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:13 am

Kishin I....
LOL :rotfl:

Yosuke

Post by Yosuke » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:28 am

--Battery-- wrote:Kishin I....
LOL :rotfl:
Moments like these makes me wanna...

*Loves happy endings*

Yosuke

Post by Yosuke » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:35 pm

http://exhentai.org/g/578548/8d2423fa4a/

Found a small hentai gallery online.

jolshefsky

Post by jolshefsky » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:11 am

May your deeds return to you tenfold,

--- Jason Olshefsky

Yosuke

Post by Yosuke » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Yosuke

Post by Yosuke » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Just found out that Yu Kinutani made a manga series out of Ghost in the Shell SAC. The manga is on book 4 and it follows the SAC series pretty darn well. (Basically if you've watched the anime you'll know how it plays out). Each manga is based on 1 episode. Manga 1 is the one with the Robo-Geishas and Manga 4 is the one with the Robo-Maids.
The manga is a bit more perverted than the anime though, with the every so often panty shot.

T-elos/Thurosis

Post by T-elos/Thurosis » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:23 pm

found some pages of Ghost in the shell Arise manga

this could be interesting:

http://mangafox.me/manga/koukaku_kidout ... 01/41.html
~Everything is learnable! It only depends on the efforts that you give yourself!~

~ take a look at my at my Gallery :D http://www.thurosis.deviantart.com ~

A.N.N.

Post by A.N.N. » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:41 pm

That's interesting. So the "Arise" manga is just the SAC stories, but the Arise video (OVA/movie/series?) will be a new story? All I can tell is the video version is coming out on June 22nd, in Japan at least.

anyone have a better idea of what's getting released and when?
A.N.N.

csoloist

Post by csoloist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:08 pm

T-elos/Thurosis wrote:found some pages of Ghost in the shell Arise manga

this could be interesting:

http://mangafox.me/manga/koukaku_kidout ... 01/41.html
Well that was disappointing. Even makes Man Machine Interface seem good by comparison.

csoloist

Post by csoloist » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6whutlQIOG8
Combat loli-bot? Fingers crossed that fanservice is maintained at these levels - there probably won't be much else to look forward to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmmT9Of0Ikk
Aaaand the major promoting the Microsoft surface. Lulz.

T-elos/Thurosis

Post by T-elos/Thurosis » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:38 pm

csoloist wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmmT9Of0Ikk
I like GitS but
holy shit....
if M-$oft have it's hands in play they always ruin the stuff.... just look at the new Xbox one... holy crap
~Everything is learnable! It only depends on the efforts that you give yourself!~

~ take a look at my at my Gallery :D http://www.thurosis.deviantart.com ~

Yosuke

Post by Yosuke » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:48 am

That combat loli looks a lot like the robot girl from Ghost in the Shell 1.5 manga.

Zeruel

Post by Zeruel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 am

Yosuke wrote:Just found out that Yu Kinutani made a manga series out of Ghost in the Shell SAC. The manga is on book 4 and it follows the SAC series pretty darn well. (Basically if you've watched the anime you'll know how it plays out). Each manga is based on 1 episode. Manga 1 is the one with the Robo-Geishas and Manga 4 is the one with the Robo-Maids.
The manga is a bit more perverted than the anime though, with the every so often panty shot.
To be honest, I really like the manga version of ¥€$. There's a maid robot who stutters and malfunctions instead of the upper half of its body being ripped apart, for one.

ZeltraxMillenium

Post by ZeltraxMillenium » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Zeruel wrote:
Yosuke wrote:Just found out that Yu Kinutani made a manga series out of Ghost in the Shell SAC. The manga is on book 4 and it follows the SAC series pretty darn well. (Basically if you've watched the anime you'll know how it plays out). Each manga is based on 1 episode. Manga 1 is the one with the Robo-Geishas and Manga 4 is the one with the Robo-Maids.
To be honest, I really like the manga version of ¥€$. There's a maid robot who stutters and malfunctions instead of the upper half of its body being ripped apart, for one.
Nice. I'm trying to hunt down the manga online so I can check it out.

Zeruel

Post by Zeruel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:29 pm

ZeltraxMillenium wrote:
Zeruel wrote:
Nice. I'm trying to hunt down the manga online so I can check it out.
Found this just now:

http://comic.dawnfun.com/%E8%A1%A3%E8%B ... 2%E5%8D%B7

ZeltraxMillenium

Post by ZeltraxMillenium » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks. I'm currently downloading Manga 4 now.

Kaimonodude

Post by Kaimonodude » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:35 pm

csoloist wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6whutlQIOG8
Combat loli-bot? Fingers crossed that fanservice is maintained at these levels - there probably won't be much else to look forward to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmmT9Of0Ikk
A bit late but just an FYI, since the youtube video is private, the footage of the combat loli is from the first episode of Ghost in the Shell Arise entitled "Ghost Pain", and that first video was actually the first 8 minutes of the show I believe. She appears at 5:30ish.

csoloist

Post by csoloist » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Kaimonodude wrote: A bit late but just an FYI, since the youtube video is private, the footage of the combat loli is from the first episode of Ghost in the Shell Arise entitled "Ghost Pain", and that first video was actually the first 8 minutes of the show I believe. She appears at 5:30ish.
Oh sure, watched it a little while back when the fansubs came out. Didn't think much of it, although I confess I did enjoy all the fanservice (I know, I know - sorry). Wasn't the major nekkid within the first ten minutes or thereabouts? Had taken the absence of discussion to mean folks weren't especially interested in / unimpresssed with Arise.