Special effects Fem-bot movie in production (need input )

News about content for sale and subscription sites.
EvangelinevonWinter
C4S Studio Owner
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Special effects Fem-bot movie in production (need input )

Post by EvangelinevonWinter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:44 am

So we are starting to build the next fem-bot movie and decided to start adding fx. We have some experience with fx as we are actually rendering at the moment a freeze movie in which a thug uses a freezegun on wonderwoman to freeze her in place.
We were thinking of adding sparks from the junction where the head meets the shoulders during a malfunctioning scene.
Would like to know what other kinds of special effects would be desirable?

If its very complex it might take us longer to make but i wont know until i start layering and building so what would you like to see?
repulser blast when an intruder breaks into her owners house?

smoke when she malfunctions?

Let me know so i can start building.

Thank you all for all your help so far in helping me make better movies for you.
your emails and public pistes have been very helpful
If you have an issue that needs resolving right away contact Levi via twitter. its the 100% quickest way to get our attention.
https://twitter.com/WilfredoMelen12

EvangelinevonWinter
C4S Studio Owner

Post by EvangelinevonWinter » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:47 am

oh....
also have smoldering fx and small fire and billowing smoke if you want her on the floor on fire...lol
If you have an issue that needs resolving right away contact Levi via twitter. its the 100% quickest way to get our attention.

andoroido
Technosexuality: Built

Post by andoroido » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:21 am

There's plenty of ways to do low tech practical effects, and maybe punch it up with a couple seconds of digital. Though I think the robot acting is 10 times more important.

Low tech solutions.

Thin blinking LEDs, but UNDER slightly see-through clothing can make it seem like there's an open panel under the clothes, without having to do a shitty attempt at a practical open panel.

Head hatches are probably easiest to do. Just get a mannequin head, make the hatch in the back for an extreme close-up shot of someone opening it or sticking something in. Then front shots of the actress reacting to the programming etc. and someone behind pretending to put in/pull out something(s) from the hatch that we can't see from the front angle. (They did this in the semi-cult scifi 80s movie "Android")
I assume you plan on using common sense and trying hard, (a certain prodcuer like takes some wires off a table, then puts it behind a "broken gynoids" head, and then pretends to pull it out of her head, even though we just saw it on the table! All in one scene without cutting. It is like a mental retard doing a magic trick! Lame! Put the darn wires out of camera view behind her first, THEN pretend to take them out, duh)

Personally, I think taping a circuit board on the skin needs a special eye, plenty of producers just slap it on (even with duct tape!) and that's exactly what it looks like, someone slapped a calcaultor on her back with duct tape. A calculator just doesn't fit tight to the skin, but a calculator or circuit board mounted on to something like an upside-down square dish or something, and then the square dish fits tight to the skin, but what kind of glue?

Other option, those armbands that joggers use to hold their iPods look perfect for holding a control panel.
I think a sports bra with space for a panel on the back, (or the front) or through a hole cut in the back would be a real-looking option too.
Or a whole Spandex outfit with a couple holes cut for calculators or kitchen timers or whatever mounted inside the costume and poking out through the holes. Porbably need to cut the holes pretty small. But some people (lots maybe) prefer nudity. But if the actress doesn't do nudity, it's a great option.

A choker is an easy option for a "neck joint", dark or black rubber bands for other joints are an option.

Some of the Japanese TV shows solve the problem and have the gynoids be linked / controlled by cell phones. One had the cell phone as a relay, and her actual program is in a desktop at home while she walks around town.

Having the "brains" in a desktop means you could do a panel/circuit remove/install or damage/sparks or smoke or whatever very easy on an old junk desktop, and have the actress act in sync with whatever happens to the desktop that "is her brain".

Some gynoids put a battery pack or control pack on a wide belt that she wears. If the pack is removed from the belt, (or the armband as above) the gynoid shuts down or freezes or slumps.

Smoke effects just coming from behind the head (as long as they don't involve something that might end up with hair on fire!) are close enough without needing to try for smoke from mouth (but of course, cigarettes are the answer for that)

I also think maybe some kind of robo-fluid leaking from the ear or mouth is an easy and very convincing effect.
Either milk or cream for a more dense color, or cream with some weird color like a bit of blue, or honey maybe with some extra color. Just whatever shows up best on camera and looks weird. Easy effect. They did it in Alien and Aliens. Definitely worked!

LEDs are small enough that you can even get one in the mouth. If there's a blinking white or blue one, it can look like something is sparking insde the head.

There's the old fake needle prop (the "needle" part slides back into the grip when "injecting" so it looks like it's going into the skin) such needle props with wires linked to computers would be good fake diagnosis tools or such.

As for mannequin limbs, one easy trick is costuming. Have either nylons or leggings, or long gloves or spandex gloves worn by the actress, and then put those on the manequin limb later on when it is "detached" and you avoid the mannequin skin vs. real skin problem. The gloves or leggings also make it easier to fudge the details on the base of the limb, just having some wires and tubes and fluid coming out the end of the glove or stocking, less need to make some kind of attachment point.

Anyway, cheap practical effects are plenty, just need imagination, a trip to the dollar store with 10 bucks, and a few minutes of easy craftwork.
And from looking at indie work in Japan, to me it seems that the $5 effect with the clever camera work tends to work out a LOT better than the $100 and up attempt to make something more Hollywood, but just ends up looking cheap and can never compare with a multi million prodcution with professional modellers and such. A waste of money that could have made a dozen more cheap and good effects!

But still the acting is the key. The best props can only support the gynoid-ness. It's the acting that makes it. If she can't act gynoid, settle for a freeze, open-eyes blank stare, anyone can do that.

General

Post by General » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:32 pm

From a business aspect, it might be viable to invest in green/blue screen editing capability. A quick and dirty Google search came up with software packages in the range of $60 and there seem to be plenty of free tutorials online.

The advantage I see here is that it brings future value to many other types of productions. You could spend time creating purpose built 'fembot' props or prostheses but then they're limited to just fembot videos.

I must admit that I've never tried green screen video editing myself, but it might be possible to paint a section of the actress with the right color paint, and then digitally substitute damaged components, circuitry, or fancy control panels.

One of the other 'fun' aspects of this fetish is disassembly. Place green fabric over an arm, or a leg, or a head and now you have a semi-disassembled fembot.

You could also (eventually) invest in a large green screen and then set your movies almost anywhere.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I do agree with those above that the best value is good acting. We can overlook a lot of bad effects or lack there of if the actress has the right behavior and vocalization.

Good luck and thanks for your enthusiastic approach to the genre.

Frostillicus

Post by Frostillicus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 pm

Well this sucks. I found a couple of promising software programs but the articles are old and they don't seem to be actually selling this even though they said it would be available for home video:
One is called RotoTexture from 2007:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... click.html

The other is called Unwrap Mosaics from 2008:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/ ... ng/unwrap/

There might be more out there, but I haven't bothered looking! :?
Thaw me out when robot wives are cheap and effective.

EvangelinevonWinter
C4S Studio Owner

Post by EvangelinevonWinter » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:35 am

Just to be clear guys......
I am not looking for ideas or help looking for special effects. What I am asking is what do you want to see happen to the fembot that i can start trying to make happen.
If you tell me that you want a disassembled fem-bot then i know how to do it. I just need to know what you would be interested in.
I know that it will not be perfect as perfection comes with practice.

And I understand and agree about the acting.

I have gotten comments from many of you and you all have said pretty much the same thing
"The acting is good but needs minor fine tuning"
I get that and i will get better with more practice....i promise.

I thank you all for your help, I promise that if i come across a roadblock and cant figure out how to do something i will chime in and wait for the comments

fembotfan

Hurray I'm helping!

Post by fembotfan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:28 am

i would just like to mention that all of the comments preceding my comments, have merit. That said, I think you should do what I say instead :P . Just kidding.

I find the removed head digital effect to be a cool one (for the disassembled fembot fans).

The surprise your a robot element is also one of my favorites.
If a business woman discovered that her female office crush was a fembot, :wink: well she may not feel so awkward having fun with her.
She could discover her with an open panel, or a malfunction scene. She could get her to undress via remote commands. Nothing wrong with finding out they are both fembots, a common occurrence if scifi has taught me anything.

Good sound effects go a long long way.

The converted fembot theme is my favorite, but it has to be a willing conversion. After that, things can happen that the fembot might not have been so willing to do originally (nudge nudge wink wink say no more).

A PM'd script should have arrived in your inbox, feel free to tweak it, and do what you will with it. If anyone else want to see it they can PM me as well.