Terminology

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.

What's your preferred term for a machine designed to look and act like a human female?

Gynoid
9%
Android
33%
Robot
6%
Mech
No votes
Mecha
3%
Robo
No votes
Fembot
30%
Girlbot
No votes
Doll
6%
Something else
12%

Total votes: 33

BethBot0101
Banned

Post by BethBot0101 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:00 pm

When I first read "gynoid" I thought "guy noid".

So, I though what is a Guy noid, am male droid?
World Domination through transformation.

KOS-MOS
Retired staff member

Post by KOS-MOS » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:16 pm

The term "gynoid" was created by the female British SF writer, Gwyneth Jones, and developed by another British SF writer, Richard Calder who lives in Thailand. Later made popular by artist Sorayama.

It also happens to be the name of a fat distribution pattern on the human body. Gross.

noidguy
Retired staff member

Post by noidguy » Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:38 pm

Sorayama did not originate the term 'gynoid', but he did popularize it to some extent. I came across the word (the term 'gyndroid' also appears) in books and articles before I had heard of Sorayama. And I must say I am not completely comfortable using the term either. In fact, I don't believe I've ever spoken it out loud. 8)

Android would seem to be the most technical and popular term these days in movies and television. But I still associate it with males.

Fembot is a nice, fun word. Kinda goes along with fuzzy dice, slinky, and Pez dispensers. Must've been the era.

Two terms that weren't mentioned (or were they and I missed them?) are 'synthoid' and 'inorganic'. The first was used in "Crash and Burn", and the second in the Outer Limits episodes "Valerie 23", and "Mary 25."

Then there's 'dynamitard' from "The Annihilator". I still haven't figured that one out. Seems to be a Scandinavian folklore term. Any help on this one?

ehy
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Post by ehy » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:13 pm

"Inorganic." Jeez. I dislike that one so much I didn't even think of it. (OK, I don't like gynoid or mech* either.) I also didn't think of "sim" either, which I've seen used occasionally.

I don't know how to pronounce "gynoid" either. "Jigh-noid" or "guy-noid?" Or we could be French, and try "zhee-nwah". :-) Or, as I do, just not use it.

EHY