CASE Act - The future of FembotWiki and Fembot Central

Important news and updates from the Fembot Central staff about the site.
(Only staff can start topics but members can post replies.)
User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

CASE Act - The future of FembotWiki and Fembot Central

Postby Robotman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:19 am

There's some legislation that just passed committee in the US Senate that might make keeping FembotWiki up impossible:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2019/07/bad-copyright-bill-moves-forward-no-serious-understanding-its-dangers

https://reclaimthenet.org/case-act-congress-copyright-memes/

If this gets signed into law, that may be the end of FembotWiki. Hosting copyrighted works and the whole idea of altering/manipping images will become illegal and open to an extra-judicial punishment system based on the model of the DMCA. Even worse, like the DMCA, it will incentivize copyright trolls to claim the work of others as their own, and use this broken system to fine the original creators of the work the copyright trolls have stolen.

The articles mention a 60-day "opt-out" window, but it's not clear how this will work, and whether the same claims can just be re-submitted over and over again. The only hopes for this bill to be defeated are for it to fail in the Senate or to face a presidential veto. Either outcome is uncertain.

I'm asking all members here who are citizens of the United States to please contact your Senator and tell them that you want them to vote against the CASE act.

In the meantime, all artists who have uploaded their manips or artwork to FembotWiki should make sure you have your artwork backed up and saved, because hosting such a website may become impossible from within the US if the CASE act is signed into law.

Re: CASE Act - The future of FembotWiki and Fembot Central

Postby N6688 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:10 am

I not so long ago i saw comment after comment online that a thing like article 13 couldn't happen in the US.........
...............Well, now we're all fucked.
And ofcource it's gonna pass because the US goverment is filled with
1) Old people
2) Old people who don't understand the ramifications of fucking with tech laws without consulting ,i don't know, people who know a thing about this that isn't in the pocket of some corporation.
3) Old people who don't understand the ramifications of fucking with tech laws that are corrupt as fuck.

Time to get some VPN's...........so long as they stay legal ofcource..........which won't be long i'm afraid...........
"Robot wives have needs, too"
Goku, Dragonball fighterZ 2017

Postby DukeNukem 2417 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 am

....they tried to pass this same thing in 2017. It failed back then.

Just saying.
"No one steals our chicks.....and lives!"

Postby Froggy99 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:12 pm

No offense to you Duke, but approximately 157 impossible things have happened since 2017.

Write your Senators.

Everybody. (Assuming you live in the US. Everyone else hold your breath)

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:41 am

It's becoming clear that even if this specific CASE Act isn't signed into law, the "free" Internet as we have known it is dead. It's only a matter of time before draconian measures like this are passed into law - whether through legislation or through trade agreements.

FembotWiki will be shutting down on September 30 - possibly before then, so make sure you have your art and stories backed up.

Postby Uncom » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:20 pm

...You should probably add a notification on FembotWiki telling people visiting the site that it's shutting down.

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:29 pm

In due time.

Postby D.Olivaw » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:09 pm

This seems a bit premature. As far as I was aware, the bill has stalled out this time just as it has the last several times it was introduced. Neither house of Congress has even voted on it, much less passed it. The latter would probably be the opportune time to shut down the Wiki, assuming the bill seemed unlikely to be vetoed.

Countless terrible bills are introduced each year into the US federal legislature, and as with the CASE Act, many have been proposed multiple times before. While it's important to remain vigilant and involved, it is also important not to panic or act precipitately in response to what is still only a latent threat.

If we retreat from the exercise of our liberties the moment they are threatened, then they might as well not exist.
"So through endless twilights I dreamed and waited, though I knew not what I waited for. Then in the shadowy solitude my longing for light grew so frantic that I could rest no more, and I lifted entreating hands to the single black ruined tower that reached above the forest into the unknown outer sky. And at last I resolved to scale that tower, fall though I might; since it were better to glimpse the sky and perish, than to live without ever beholding day. " – H. P. Lovecraft

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:14 pm

That's a fine and dandy sentiment, but I'm out. It's time for someone else to shoulder the risks and liability. What is perfectly harmless and innocuous right now can and will be made illegal and criminal with the stroke of a pen in the near future.

If you want to start a manip and art hosting website, please do.

Postby Lithorien » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:19 pm

Would you be willing to transfer ownership of the sites to one of us?

Next

Return to Announcements