Westworld Fan Theory Thread (SPOILERS)

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
ministrations
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Westworld Fan Theory Thread (SPOILERS)

Post by ministrations » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:56 pm

Hi everyone, I thought I would start a thread here to move fan theories from the Reports thread to a more dedicated place (and safer for those who haven't seen it.) So, BELOW THIS POINT: SPOILERS.

Who else agrees with my theory (I'm not the first one to voice it, but no one ever really is in the age of Reddit) that almost all the characters we've seen so far are artificial, even the staff?

They're definitely trying to make the script ambiguous as to whether Bernard is human, and not with narrow brushstrokes. Some of you may have noticed several other clues, like when Elsie touches her lips in the same way as Clementine after sneaking the kiss, or Dr. Ford's name (which cannot be a coincidence, thematically or otherwise).

Talulah Riley's cameo establishes that there are hosts who are fully aware of the park's nature by design. It's also bizarre that all of the staff seem to know at least a little bit about all the robots they come in contact with, despite this being a massive operation with many thousands of current and former hosts. (And yes, I believe Bernard's line where he didn't remember Old Bill because he hadn't been "brought on" yet is a deliberate move to muddy waters.)

I think the scene with the technicians and Maeve is another key: After almost two full episodes of cinematic, almost archetypically expected dialogue, the two (possibly human) technicians weren't just there for levity. They were clueless as to how to handle Maeve's awakening, and most importantly, they didn't know the verbal codes to subdue her. It seems plausible that only staff hosts can verbally direct in-park hosts, probably as a precaution to prevent human guests from accessing the hosts' command structure.

The fact that some or all staff "rotate out" after a period of time also seems important. But as opposed to being on Mars or some remote physical location, it could mean that staff hosts get time to operate, perhaps even in civilization, as a psychological vacation of their own from the horrors they put their brethren through at Westworld. Or it could all be a ruse, a la Moon.

This could easily extend to many of the guests we've seen, and not just the man in black. It's hard to generalize from two episodes, but William and Logan are a pair right out of central casting, which leads me to believe they actually are.

And although most of my money is still on Dr. Ford pulling the curtain down out of guilt, disillusionment or boredom, I'd be interested if the story leads down any of these paths (and yes, some of them contradict my main theories):

1. The theme park is not Westworld, per se, but it is or includes the Delos park management team. This could explain why they took pains to point out that the man in black has free rein of the park. This could also explain crew rotation, as the arriving replacements would be the real park guests.

2. The robots run the park knowingly and as few humans as possible are actually on site. Perhaps the unseen "board" is a human controller or controllers, or could actually be a different interpretation of the word "board," referring to a switchboard or other control device of some kind.

3. The robots are Delos: that humans didn't really retake control of the park in the aftermath of the crash seen in the original Westworld. The robots rebuilt a quasi-society, complete with archetypes of the authority figures one would expect to see in charge of the park, who may or may not truly be aware of their nature. Either the park admits human guests again to pay for maintenance or the whole thing could be a grotesque simulation where robot guests are killing and raping other robots for the benefit of a few, or for no relevant purpose at all. (This seems far-fetched, but it was clearly part of the mystique behind Futureworld and BW.)

What do all of you think?