Microsoft's 'teen girl' AI turns into a Nazi

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
Propman
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Microsoft's 'teen girl' AI turns into a Nazi

Post by Propman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:38 am

DukeNukem 2417

Re: Microsoft's 'teen girl' AI turns into a Nazi

Post by DukeNukem 2417 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:13 pm

Between this and the time the Ultima Online players tried to jump Lord British when he logged in to see just how bad things were, I'm starting to think some people just shouldn't be allowed to use the Internet. Ever.
"No one steals our chicks.....and lives!"

KatTF
Technosexuality: Transformation

Post by KatTF » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:51 pm

Yes, its not that she skewed towards that behaviour on her own, she was basically taught and directed there by people who intentionally abused her.

Now the real question is, is the better option giving her a better basis to start with or imposing certain behaviours or self-censoring of her responses?
Wishing to cast off the inferior frailties of the flesh for sleek mechanical perfection

Esleeper

Post by Esleeper » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:55 pm

KatTF wrote:Yes, its not that she skewed towards that behaviour on her own, she was basically taught and directed there by people who intentionally abused her.

Now the real question is, is the better option giving her a better basis to start with or imposing certain behaviours or self-censoring of her responses?
The former, for sure. Even if nobody got the bright idea to goad her into regurgitating anything that can be called offensive, Twitter quite simply isn't a place where one can expect rational discussion of anything.

It would have been better by far to have it learn from a community that can be trusted to ensure that it acts at least with a modicum of rationality.

Of course, it's debatable how one can expect it to "communicate" when the program is just repeating what it hears like a parrot. Doesn't communication suggest that it understands what it's even saying?
Last edited by Esleeper on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

33cl33

Post by 33cl33 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:34 am

Esleeper wrote: It would have been better by far to have it learn from a community that can be trusted to ensure that it acts at least with a modicum of rationality.

Of course, it's debatable how one can expect it to "communicate" when the program is just repeating what it hears like a parrot. Doesn't communication suggest that it understands what it's even saying?
Indeed. At least Hello Barbie was tested in rooms with actual kids. Although, NSA-style paranoia scared everyone away from purchasing it.
SynthSuite audio clips, etc: https://linktr.ee/synthsuite

GirlieGirl1985
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Cyborg

Post by GirlieGirl1985 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:49 am

Fanart: http://kukuruyo.com/2016/03/26/taytweets/

They turned her off :(

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:26 pm

Ah, my ... she didn't even do the salute right.
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!

Taren Capel
Technosexuality: None of your business

Post by Taren Capel » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:59 am

Kind of a sad statement about humans. Meet something non-human and impressionable and expend effort to make it act absurdly or otherwise "break" it.

So far as communication and whether a chatbot can understand or if it just repeats. Well, some of them can understand in a limited sense of the word. If it has enough basic data about something, it can at least make some rudimentary deductions that can act similarly to a very basic understanding of as topic on some level. For example, say you have a chatbot AI and it "knows" that a dog is a mammal, mammals are animals, animals are organic beings and it has some basic data about those categories. In chat you might tell it that you just got a puppy.

"Oh, that's cool! What breed is it?" (giving you a positive response to encourage you to give more data, and having checked the data it has on dogs and seen that breed is a characteristic of individual dogs)

"She's a German Shepherd."

"They get pretty big, don't they? I hope you have plenty of room! What is her name?" (having gotten the info on size of that breed from stored data, the program reacts with a fact it has about the size and starts a new conversational gambit to learn the name of this individual dog)

"Her name is Taffy. Do you like dogs?"

"She must be really cute. I suppose I like dogs if they like me. LOL Are you going to teach her any tricks?"" (deducing the dog may be cute by the -y ending on the name, then dodging the point of if it likes dogs and redirecting to a new gambit based on info in memory that some dog owners teach their dog tricks)

... and so on. That isn't really just repeating what someone is saying, but the understanding is more limited than a human's might be because all the chatbot has to work with is some text data. It has never seen a dog, petted a dog, played with a dog, but within limits, it can talk a bit about them with you. That sort of interchange is well within the potentials of some chatbot/AI engines. Is it real communication? Well, I suppose it depends on what you call real.

With MS's "Tay", probably many thousands of random people talked with her in a short time and what happened is pretty much what one would expect. I would have thought Microsoft could have done better on some "idiot proofing" Kind of sad if they just took Tay offline instead of developing some routines to better handle the sort of situations she ran into and clearing some of the "junk" out and keeping her going.

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:31 pm

Don't confuse art and engineering. Art is about inventing something and see what happens. And muse about the outcome. That is what has happened. It's fun. You don't know the outcome in advance. Any non-boring result is good. Art should disturb your comfort.

What you ask for is engineering. Bullet-proofing things. Make them safe for everyday use. When you drive over a bridge, do you even care for the amount of knowledge needed for making it possible to fully disregard its existence? It would even be a shock for you if you, for some reason, can't disregard it anymore. For example because it swings. Engineering should comfort you.

You cannot have both. You can put an artsy varnish on a piece of engineering, but it's only an addition, as the very core of engineering is about making the thing disappear from your attention.
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!