Questions about ASFR

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
FractalHeretic
Technosexuality: Built
Identification: Human

Questions about ASFR

Post by FractalHeretic » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:23 pm

I'm new here, and was surprised to find there's a whole community of people with a robot fetish. David Levy, in his book, predicted that the first customers of sexbots would be desperate lonely nerds, but maybe he didn't know about you guys?

I started being interested in sexbots and AI about a year ago when I saw the movie "Her." I've never had a fetish for robots, but am interested in them for other reasons. As I'm starting a website and getting more involved in related circles, I'd like to know more about this community.

- What is it about robots that appeals to you?
- Other than fetishism, are there any other reasons you're interested in sexbots?
- If I made a survey on surveymonkey.com, would it be ok to post it here?
- What sort of questions would you like to see on such a survey?
- Have there already been any extensive surveys here? (I searched but couldn't find much)

Thanks
"These are the droids you're looking for."
www.robophilia.net

darkbutflashy
Technosexuality: Transformation

Re: Questions about ASFR

Post by darkbutflashy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:34 pm

FractalHeretic wrote:I'm new here, and was surprised to find there's a whole community of people with a robot fetish. David Levy, in his book, predicted that the first customers of sexbots would be desperate lonely nerds, but maybe he didn't know about you guys?

I started being interested in sexbots and AI about a year ago when I saw the movie "Her." I've never had a fetish for robots, but am interested in them for other reasons. As I'm starting a website and getting more involved in related circles, I'd like to know more about this community.
I don't think we are a "community". It's not about meeting people having the same preference. We hardly argue, instead we share links and produce original content ourselves. Give away stuff for others to enjoy. Sometimes earn some praise for it. Not much other communication. :| <Sigh>

In addition, individual preferences are extremly diverse even within the group of active members. And there are only about 30 people on this board which can be considered "active", more or less. The remaining 1900 members are passive viewers who want the "view new posts" feature which of course is only available when the board knows who you are. It was the reason I made an account after three years of just looking and it took me two additional years before I made my first real posting. And I think we have a lot more anonymous viewers but they've decided to stay passive *and* anonymous.

- If I made a survey on surveymonkey.com, would it be ok to post it here?
Sure, that's a good idea as you may get a lot of replies from people who decided to stay silent here.
Huh? YOU should know what you want to find out. If you need help with differentiating individual questions so your results are more meaningful, I think we could help you.
Have there already been any extensive surveys here? (I searched but couldn't find much)
Don't think so.
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:24 pm

An addition: a survey I would like to see would include the general public, either as a control group or as part of the batch. Don't be afraid of asking the general public, people like to read about sex. And if you can guarantee anonymity, you'll get tons of honest answers (and a lot of trolls).

Some premises which should be checked in my view:
  • People are aware "unusual" sexual preferences are vast and common in reality
    The introduction into the survey should narrow it down through a number of specific "did you know some people are into ...?" questions
    - expected result: people know some fetishes like BDSM by name but got it completely wrong, e.g. by reading "Fifty Shades of Gray" (yuck, I feel filthy now!)
  • People are aware there are other people who are sexually aroused by sexualized machines (of the gender matching their preference)
    That's actually a simple question already! - expected result: people are not aware
  • People are aware there's mainstream media featuring robot/cyborg men/women (in contrast to non-humanoid machines)
    - expected result: people are aware
Maybe we can work on this list together.
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!

FractalHeretic

Post by FractalHeretic » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Ok, sure. Here are my ideas so far.

First I'd ask for basic demographics:
"Gender"(male/female/other)
"sexual orientation"(gay/straight/other)
"Age"

Then I'd ask:
"If sexbots become technologically possible, would you be interested?"
Anything we want to ask non-robophiles should be above, because this would be a filter question. If the answer is no, I'd ask "Why not? Is it religion, revulsion, lack of faith in technology... or what?" and then that's the end of the survey, because the questions below would all be N/A. But for those who say yes...

I was thinking one page could ask the participant to customize their perfect robot:
"Should your robot be sentient?"
"Should your robot have total freedom and autonomy?"
"Should your robot have an off switch?"
"Should your robot come with a remote control?"
"How anthropomorphic(human-like) should your robot be?"(very robotic / slightly robotic / stylized or anime-like / indistinguishable from humans)
"Would you expect your robotic partner to perform your household chores for you?"

Another bit might ask about their future outlook:
"Do you think you'll see human-level AI within your lifetime?"
"Is it likely you'll ever own a sexbot?"

Now for this question I can't decide if I should use check boxes or make them choose just one:
"Why are you interested in having a robotic partner?
- Fetish: Robots turn me on.
- No drama: Humans are too much trouble.
- Control: I want to be in charge.
- Beauty: I want to be with someone out of my league.
- Customizable: I want to design a perfect partner.
- Just for fun: I don't want a real partner, just a life-sized robotic sex toy.
- Forever alone: I have limited options."

And maybe some philosophical questions:
"If your robotic partner one day decided he/she wanted equal rights, how would you react?"(supportive/neutral/against)
"Could a robot ever be a conscious sentient being with real emotions?"
www.robophilia.net

KingJeremy

Post by KingJeremy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:05 pm

You run into an interesting development. There are those of us who have a robot/fembot fetish but only from a pure fantasy standpoint. We are in the minority here but I know I'm not the only one who posts here who has no desire whatsoever in an actual robot, sexual or otherwise. I get that your interest lies in the actual relationship between man and machine but putting labels on things or in this case taking them away from a group who identifies as part of a larger one is interesting. I'm not offended, I just find it interesting.

--NightBattery--

Post by --NightBattery-- » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:06 pm

i'm not sure if emotions are real at all...
how about ego instead of emotions? :?:

FractalHeretic

Post by FractalHeretic » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:48 pm

KingJeremy wrote:You run into an interesting development. There are those of us who have a robot/fembot fetish but only from a pure fantasy standpoint. We are in the minority here but I know I'm not the only one who posts here who has no desire whatsoever in an actual robot, sexual or otherwise. I get that your interest lies in the actual relationship between man and machine but putting labels on things or in this case taking them away from a group who identifies as part of a larger one is interesting. I'm not offended, I just find it interesting.
I wouldn't want to alienate anyone. I am curious, is it because you don't think the technology is anywhere near, or is there something about fantasy that couldn't carry over into reality? Or perhaps fantasy alone is enough to satisfy?
www.robophilia.net

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:41 am

FractalHeretic wrote:... is it because you don't think the technology is anywhere near, or is there something about fantasy that couldn't carry over into reality? Or perhaps fantasy alone is enough to satisfy?
My physical and emotional health are rapidly undermined by close proximity to electrical devices. I will never own a cell phone. I will never ride in an electric car. I will never know the physical, simulated love of a simulated woman.

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:50 am

I see it similar to KingJeremy. I would never ever buy a sex doll, robotic companion, whatever. That's simply not my interest.

You have to recognize there is a number of people on this board who like to, in the broadest sense, explore transhumanism and take a woman's viewpoint out of curiosity.

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:34 am

FractalHeretic wrote:Ok, sure. Here are my ideas so far.
[...]
I think you should assure the premises you want to check before laying out specific questions. That's the scientific method. Specify what the experiment (the survey) should find out, or falsify, then construct the questionaire in a way all your questions are narrowing down the broad view of the person you ask to the actual topic you want to investigate.
I don't think that's useful. Both gender identification and sexual orientation are a continuum, not distinct values. And because they are built on hormone levels and social learning, they can change rapidly within a person. If you are good at this: within seconds.
"Age"
Lies, and damn lies.
Then I'd ask:
"If sexbots become technologically possible, would you be interested?"
Anything we want to ask non-robophiles should be above, because this would be a filter question. If the answer is no, I'd ask "Why not? Is it religion, revulsion, lack of faith in technology... or what?" and then that's the end of the survey, because the questions below would all be N/A. But for those who say yes...
Again, make sure what do you want to find out first. For each topic you will need a number of orthogonal questions to narrow it down to the point you want to examine. People cannot give a meaningful answer to a single question. Each question is an oddly shaped blotch and the opionion of the person you ask to that question is an oddly shaped blotch, too. That is because of the words you wrote down and left out and what the person you asked may have understood what you have meant.

Your example, If sexbots become technologically possible, would you be interested? is a hell of a question. First, it sends the mind of the reader into the future (if ..., would you), and we humans are terrible at predicting the future. Second, it uses the arbitrary term "sexbot" - what is a sexbot, please define! Third, it circles around what technologically possible. What is that supposed to mean? I mean, I can buy a mannequin doll and build her a functioning cyberpussy even today (I'm an engineer and I have the neccessary tools in my basement workshop, so I really could!) - if that's not meant by sexbot what is that word supposed to mean, then. And fourth, it's even vague on the outcome. It asks for "interested". Sure I would be interested if someone built a cyberpussy for his real doll and puts a real-time video stream and real-time technical readout of his humping sessions on the internet. Maybe I would just laugh, maybe I would ask him if he'd need a better regulator algorithm for her inner lining feedback motors. Maybe I would try to copy his design.

That's my personal blotch which I had to consider answering your "simple" question.

If you want to find out what people really think, you have to mark the spot you want to examine first, then construct very very simple questions which split the field into distinct subfields, nailing it all down to that single spot.

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:05 am

darkbutflashy wrote:
"Age"
Lies, and damn lies.
Ask first: What was the first [synthetic/fembot/whateverterm] from stories, tv or film to fascinate you?

Then ask about age later.
Compare the age claimed to the time period when the robot was new and popular.

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

KingJeremy

Post by KingJeremy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:41 am

FractalHeretic wrote: Or perhaps fantasy alone is enough to satisfy?
I think this is probably the closest, for me anyway. That was all it ever was to begin with. I'm not disgusted or turned off by the idea of a relationship with an AI, I imagine that at some point it would even be a viable, real alternative. Maybe not in this generation of members lifetimes, at least not in a way where it's anything more than having a relationship with a realdoll. That may be enough for some people and who am I to say that that isn't a "real" relationship. But I think you get my meaning.

For me, it's not about something that will never be good enough technologically or "it's just an object". No, the attraction has always been, that human woman is mimicking a machine and for whatever reason it makes my pants feel funny. Could just have easily been a Giantess fetish or a foot fetish or any other countless fetishes. Like many others I can pinpoint the first time it struck me that I was turned on by this. It just so happened that my mind stuck on the women imitating a machine rather than the machine part of what the women were imitating. They both play their part in my sexual fantasies, it's just that it's very specific and opposite to most. It has to be a real woman closely mimicking a machine as opposed to a machine who closely imitates a real woman.

33cl33

Post by 33cl33 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:46 am

I like tools and technology. I'm a geek / nerd when it comes to gadgets, and scifi is my favorite genre. And a robot is a tool, one that offers all sorts of fascinating possibilities. Both practically speaking, and in storytelling.

As for human-level AI - I think we'll get there, but I don't think we'll entirely know until after it's arrived, if even then. Hard technology and sciences like engineering and programming and psychology have yet to overlap the contemplative sciences of meditation, mindfulness, psychedelics, etc. enough in my determination for us to really know what AGI will really be until it's already here. We haven't yet scratched the surface of our own consciousness - so it's really fascinating that we seem to be close to cobbling together a version of it in synthetic devices.

And beyond that - if we get there, I think there will be a clear market for non-AI robots as well as robots with AI. We'll still have a clear use for a robot that just does what it's built to do, while we're off having our existential discussions over giving artificial humans equal rights and freedoms.

But back to what appeals to me... It does come down to some basic utility and animal desires, I suppose. The ideal (physically) sexual mate. One that also doesn't mind helping around the house or with business. And not in a domineering way, but simply a convenience. My wife and I would likely both equally enjoy a productivity tool around the house in the form of a smoking hot lady, since it turns out we're both of a blurred sexuality and in no way are interested in forcing a real person to do things they don't want to do.

Other advantages of sexbots? No STDs, or anything else that's off-putting to germophobes... They could be excellent sexual tutors that can coach you up without fear of embarrassment so you can go off and do amazing things for your real partner.
- Other than fetishism, are there any other reasons you're interested in sexbots?
Business and house chores as mentioned above. Maybe a personal trainer / physical fitness as well as other forms of education, say foreign language. Seems like a fitting tool for any form of education that benefits from person-to-person interaction. Could have basic medical programming and abilities to take strain off of the healthcare industry (incorporating, say, the results from the X-prize tricorder research).
Like the points raised above - make sure the data you ask for actually provides you with insight. Only ask for age, income, sexuality, etc. if it's meaningful to your goals. And either add every option under the sun for gender / sexuality, or leave it a blank comment box... People are way more complex than the labels we all bandy about.

And in the questions - avoid any answer options that assume too much ideology. Like the religion response. That's a very loaded option, and I think you'd be better served with a comment box in response to something like "Why wouldn't you want to purchase a human-appearing robot?"
SynthSuite audio clips, etc: https://linktr.ee/synthsuite

FractalHeretic

Post by FractalHeretic » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:52 am

I don't think that's useful. Both gender identification and sexual orientation are a continuum, not distinct values. And because they are built on hormone levels and social learning, they can change rapidly within a person. If you are good at this: within seconds.
It's funny, I've done a few surveys before and learned that people get annoyed if you don't ask for gender. They always want to be able to look at the results and see how men and women differ.
www.robophilia.net

KingJeremy

Post by KingJeremy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 am

FractalHeretic wrote:
It's funny, I've done a few surveys before and learned that people get annoyed if you don't ask for gender. They always want to be able to look at the results and see how men and women differ.
I think it's a perfectly legit question that does satisfy people's curiosity. DBF's statement does carry some weight but if that is an issue for someone taking the poll they could answer with however they are identifying at that moment. If they indentified differently at some other point, go back and take the poll again. Maybe just leave it so they can fill it in rather than check a box.

FractalHeretic

Post by FractalHeretic » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:10 am

Great feedback! What I gather is...

Distinguish between love and sex with robots
Distinguish between fantasy and reality
Include fetish for humans pretending to be robots
Include fetish of fantasizing about being a robot
Check for general public's awareness of these fetishes
Clearly define terms such as "sexbot" etc.
Ask how old were you when you first become fascinated with sexbots, and what media inspired you
Include in reasons for desiring a sexbot: germophobia and sexual tutoring

Keep it coming if you have any more suggestions.
www.robophilia.net

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:24 am

FractalHeretic wrote:It's funny, I've done a few surveys before and learned that people get annoyed if you don't ask for gender. They always want to be able to look at the results and see how men and women differ.
Then you did one of these "tests", not a survey which should give *you* insight. You cannot allow feedback as long the survey is running to avoid a bias. That's especially bad for anonymous surveys in which anyone could apply as often as she/he wants until the desired result is shown. Don't do that.

EDIT: and just to clarify, I haven't said it's not important to distinguish by gender but rather that you cannot blandly ask "what gender you identify" because this may be situation-dependend, especially if you explore sexual and fetish topics. It's not possible to give a meaningful answer to that question before you know what the interviewer is up to.

Example: if you ask me "are you male or female", I'd say I'm a male but in reality, I'm a man with a lot of "female" traits. And my sexual preference is quite mirrored, I like women with a lot of "male" traits. How do you stuff that into two simple questions? I could click anything, it would be always wrong.

Svengli

Post by Svengli » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:56 pm

I think the very definition of a fetish is that it isn't a consciously conceived plan but is simply there. Fembots are hot, irrationally so, it's there. There are particular contexts behind a given person but that's not really the point.

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:53 pm

I believe, for many of us, there in an anomaly in the insular cortex (Wikipedia)

Wikipedia wrote:[The insular cortex] has been identified as playing a role in the experience of bodily self-awareness, sense of agency, and sense body ownership.
I think some have an anomaly in that area which determines how they perceive their own body; others like me have that anomaly where my brain describes the kind of female body I wish for my sexual partner to have.

In broad stereotype, the female's sense of her own desired body is altered; while the male is altered in what he desires to possess. That's a bigger impact on women than men. The male/female asymmetrical impact suggests an imprinted gene (one of about 3000 in humans). It's probably not genetic inheritance which is responsible, but inherited, disrupted epigenetics (the markers on the surface of the DNA that indicate which genes should be actively transcribed).

But that's all just my own unaccountable brilliance. :mrgreen:
How could I possibly get this much this right, in 2015? :surprise:
You should probably pay it no account. :roll:
Too far ahead of the times. :lol:

- Dale Coba

33cl33

Post by 33cl33 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:07 am

Robotman wrote:
I was thinking a bit more about this, and I think I can add (for me anyway) that it has to do with what's become known as the "uncanny valley" reaction most people have to robots... that feeling of unease or creepiness that is the reaction when people are presented with an android.

For whatever reason, that feeling in me became sexualized, so now I find the thought of an almost perfect female humanoid replica to be sexier than anything else - especially when there is some sort of "revelation' involved, when the female android shows or tells what she is.

This last part explains why I like open panel scenes so much, and in particular, faceoffs.
Ditto. My first memorable moment of arousal was at the depiction of a fembot reveal in a show around 12 years old. The uncanny valley is a very interesting place indeed.
SynthSuite audio clips, etc: https://linktr.ee/synthsuite

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:14 pm

When I see a beautiful woman on the screen, my brain says, "I desire that prime example of beauty." The immediate, if subconscious thought that follows, is "Beautiful woman = robot. Fingers crossed..."

When her fembot face is revealed, I see without a doubt that she is less than a person. She is an object that should be owned, programmed, used and enjoyed. BINGO, Victory!

There's nothing uncanny about a fembot face. It's incongrous. Uncannyness could arise from comparing that face to her fluid, graceful movements, or to her melodic, human voice talking about being a human.

There's something there, but I don't think we've got precise terminology.
Wikipedia wrote:The uncanny valley is a hypothesis in the field of aesthetics which holds that when features look and move almost, but not exactly, like natural beings, it causes a response of revulsion among some observers.
A face full of transistors does not look almost like a natural woman. The disturbed observers are annoyed at not being able to cleanly put the [uncanny valley case] into the human OR the machine category, but not both. I like the unintended seductive tease of escalating software glitches, but with a face-off we are talking about frank proof of the fembot.

- Dale Coba

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Hey, I know the full erotic power of "too perfect" - I'm from Stepford. :lol: :twisted: :lovestruck: :party:

I think you are in the next valley over, not the Uncanny one. You've gone over and beyond the bell curve mountain of average-plausible people, and ended up on the far side. We could call that the Utopian Valley.

I couldn't figure out if there is a trope for that.

- Dale Coba

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:42 am

I think the OP is away. Had his fun. Bah, they always come so early.

Wish we had a decent troll once in a while. :nerd:

KingJeremy

Post by KingJeremy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:14 am

darkbutflashy wrote:I think the OP is away. Had his fun. Bah, they always come so early.

Wish we had a decent troll once in a while. :nerd:
I don't know, I feel like he or she was asking some good questions with the intention of genuinely wanting to learn about the community. Seemed like pretty innocuous stuff to be considered a troll. It can't be easy to cover all the bases on a subject as diverse as this one, especially when it's not their "thing".

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:47 am

I don't think darkbutflashy was saying FractalHeretic was a troll.
He was wishing for a troll, because they stick around to argue with.
An argument is at least something to engage in (as darkbutflashy puts it).

- Dale Coba