Water damage

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.
Spaz
Fembot Central Staff
Technosexuality: Built and Transformation
Identification: Human

Water damage

Post by Spaz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:28 pm

I was just thinking, after seeing numerous recent fetish vids, along with a handful of recent stories, that involve fembots going haywire after having water thrown on them. Is this sort of damage dated? I mean, I can understand if the water enters an open access panel or a significant tear in the skin, but is seems that just throwing water on otherwise sealed skin should not immediately cause a malfunction without there being some previous damage to that section of skin.

It seems like this type of cliche was started several decades ago and it has just stuck.
Check out my stories: https://www.fembotwiki.com/index.php?title=User:Spaz

Current story status: The Small Business Chronicles: Season Two | The Doctor is in - The Clinic (In progress...)

FaceoffFembot
Technosexuality: Built

Re: Water damage

Post by FaceoffFembot » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:47 pm

I'm all with you on that one, but...

It may be trite, dated and technically questionnable, but it's a good tool, if a worn-out one, to illustrate the disconnect between the pretense of the woman and the reality of the machine. By riding on the common knowledge that "water + electricity = suck", you're able to demonstrate to an uninitiated audience that all is not what it seems, unlike more low-key and advanced concepts such as paradoxes or software errors.

LALALA

--NightBattery--

Post by --NightBattery-- » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:51 pm

how you come to that number kishin?
sounds like something i want to know to try to incorporate to stuff.

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff

Post by Spaz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:04 pm

I can understand the water and electronics don't mix, but it just seems cheesy that a fembot can have less than a cup of water spilled onto their skin and they instantly malfunction. It seems to me that if the skin were that porous, it wouldn't be able to stand up to much else either.

Current story status: The Small Business Chronicles: Season Two | The Doctor is in - The Clinic (In progress...)

dale coba
Technosexuality: Transformation

Post by dale coba » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:29 pm

If heat can be conquered, components can be encased in a flexible gel-plastic.

Heat is the only reason those charged surfaces are exposed to air in the first place.

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff

Post by Spaz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:18 pm

But then you get the opportunities to have it accidentally happen during a maintenance cycle when the mechanics are exposed.

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:29 am

Robotman wrote:Think of it like those often ridiculous and unrealistic faceoffs so many of us love. That won't be a realistic design, and no actual manufacturer would base a production model fembot on that design...
I have previously asserted that there will be successive waves of fembot design, mirroring the early decades of the motorcar.

After making a car that actually worked, came mass production of a working product (Model T Ford); then there was a drive for ease of use and addition of features which were not immediately obvious; another approach maximizes luxury; or economy; and why not chop that rusted-out '30s roadster and make a unique rat rod drag racer?

There won't only one ultimate design the industry will strive for.

First, there is a fembot.
then there is no fembot;
then there is.

It's the same Zen as in architecture.

We will have our face-offs, malfunctions, and open panels with sparks.
All of those features are beyond unnecessary,
and that is no problem at all,
because necessity will no longer be necessary.

- Dale Coba
8) :!: :nerd: :idea: : :nerd: :shock: :lovestruck: [ :twisted: :dancing: :oops: :wink: :twisted: ] = [ :drooling: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :party:... ... :applause: :D :lovestruck: :notworthy: :rockon: ]

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:50 am

In cars you have the same water corrosion problems. Electronics is sealed, and this is perfectly possible and done even 30 years ago. Control Units are covered in plastic casings with sealing gaskets and smaller pieces are put under a silicone cover. So yes, having a future fembot die from drip water is highly unlikely. In contrary I expect them to be "washable". Because all the stuff you wanna do with them. :mrgreen:
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:58 am

darkbutflashy wrote:In contrary I expect them to be "washable".
Disassembled, her parts easily fit into two loads of a typical dishwasher.

- Dale Coba

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:56 am

Has anyone checked out quantum computing lately?
Wikipedia wrote:In early 2014 it was reported, based on documents provided by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, that the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) is running a $79.7 million research program (titled "Penetrating Hard Targets") to develop a quantum computer capable of breaking vulnerable encryption
That tech, if created, will upend everything we might otherwise estimate of computing capacity and speed. Other groups around the world will work on the same problem, throw more money at their project than a paltry $80 million,
solve it or spy, cheat, steal it from the NSA.

I'm inclined to believe quantum computing may arrive within a decade, or sooner.

- Dale Coba

BA2

Post by BA2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:45 am

I'm a water damage fan and can enjoy the scenario even though (I'd guess for sound economy of production reasons in vids) it can be a little taxing to my suspension of disbelief. I like categorising and would do so thus:

1. Vulnerable. Fembots designed for use in controlled environments only (laboratory, space habitat etc...) Possibly prototypes or simply designed for their limited environment, they may have completely exposed components and be highly vulnerable to accidental fluid spills. This also may apply to otherwise more robust units dismantled for repair or damaged.

2. Unprotected. Fembots designed for everyday use indoors would likely be 'splashproof' to some extent, especially sex units, but suffer the stereotypical orgasmesque short circuit and malfunction from fluid ingress if deluged. This could result from bad weather, falling in the pool, misdirected hose etc. Designed and programmed to operate in an everyday domestic or professional setting, they could be more casual about the risk and therefore more vulnerable.

3. Protected. A more advanced or expensive 'everyday' fembot may be designed for limited immersion in and perhaps consumption of fluids. A sex unit would likely have some sort of lubrication and cleaning function, wet mouth, possibly sweat, possibly cry and may be able to share a drink etc; she would ideally be able to take a shower or even a bath without undue concern. However, like a watch with depth rating, she would remain vulnerable to ingress of fluids under pressure. She may be fine lounging by the pool or on the yacht and have no concerns about being splashed but if thrown in she'd be in trouble (also might not float right...) This type of unit might also experience problems if she has seal failures or incorrectly closed access panels as she would not naturally avoid water; she might suffer if attempting 'not recommended' activities while submersed such a sex in the hot-tub or masturbating in the shower...

4. Immersion rated. The most advanced domestic units or dedicated military / black unit type droids may be designed to operate underwater as well as or better than meat girls (no need to breathe...) Presumably these would only be vulnerable if damaged or incorrectly sealed (perhaps due to poor maintemance). Top of the tech tree (in some ways the most likely type) fembots may exploit novel material technologies throughout much of their construction and not be vulnerable to fluids inside their limbs or body, however, I like to think there would still be a current-tech-relatable electronics core that could be shorted out!

I have dabbled with writing about a fembot surf rescue group, many of whose rescuees are domestic units who have gone beyond their design limits... hopefully I'll get around to writing it soon!

Kube²

Post by Kube² » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:01 pm

I think water damage is a real problem

For sure the cup of tea that can cause a total short out is outdated but, water internal condensation is a real problem.
Look at you car when its cold outside and hot inside : result water condensation everywhere in the car.

Water would slowly appear everywhere in the robot and finally infiltrate somewhere it shouldn't. The only solution is to add efficient air exhaust grids wich is not really what most of us would like to see on our lovely and "perfectly" realistic favorite companion...

darkbutflashy

Post by darkbutflashy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Kube² wrote:For sure the cup of tea that can cause a total short out is outdated but, water internal condensation is a real problem.
Look at you car when its cold outside and hot inside : result water condensation everywhere in the car.
Yes, that's why the control units in cars have their own "climate chamber" each. Which isn't trivial because of the air pressure differences a car must be able to withstand. Usually they have a heavily water-protected spout on the plastic cover. It helps that the control unit produces enough heat to dry the inside of its casing.
Do you like or dislike my ongoing story Battlemachine Ayako? Leave a comment on the story's discussion pages on the wiki or in that thread. Thank you!

Spaz
Fembot Central Staff

Post by Spaz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:09 pm

Kube² wrote:I think water damage is a real problem

For sure the cup of tea that can cause a total short out is outdated but, water internal condensation is a real problem.

Water would slowly appear everywhere in the robot and finally infiltrate somewhere it shouldn't. The only solution is to add efficient air exhaust grids wich is not really what most of us would like to see on our lovely and "perfectly" realistic favorite companion...
Wouldn't allowing the fembot to exhale work the same way?

Kube²

Post by Kube² » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:11 am

exhale would work but as efficiently as a grid and a fan behind ?
is exhaling would be efficient enough to dry all air charged with water in the inside ?
Maybe you should need an air cooling system inside all the robot to really help it would refresh the electronics and would fight against internal condensation in the case of a totally sealed robot.

But not simple at all... big ingeneering problem here...so in the end water short out and damages are not outdated for me but we are not describing them well in our stories !

dale coba

Post by dale coba » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:14 am

Russian nesting dolls. Zones of protection.

Synthetic skin means heat/moisture inside must be managed.
Strong synthetic skin keeps out fluid, unless ripped.

Some components inside are water-resistant.
Those that don't produce heat can be plastic-coated.
Some which produce a little heat could still be water-proofed with a sprayed-on "Scotchguard"-like layer.

Some components will need their own active heat/moisture management systems.

In the end, hot air is expelled from her rear (silent, not deadly).

I'm thinking about a commercial, personal home fembot - as in Humans. She doesn't have to be more defended against water than she is against severe physical damage. Damage large enough to let a lot of water in would be indicative of some major out-of-warranty situations, a car crash or assault - in which case there are much bigger problems in play than the water.

The skin won't be breached by accident in the home; even if so, water won't be an imminent threat the large majority of the time.

I don't think her design or warranty needs to be responsible for what happens if she is intentionally stabbed, then pushed into a swimming pool.

I'm not making a personal defense droid - that unit is subjected to much more hazardous situations, and requires more engineered and expensive solutions.

- Dale Coba

smalk

Post by smalk » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:55 am

Just my 2 cents. When in a story happens a completely implausabile event like a major malfunction from simply hitting a fembot with some water (something the fembot manufactaturer should have taken care of) it's an instant turn-off.

smalk

Post by smalk » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:33 am

Much better ;)

DollSpace
Identification: Android

Post by DollSpace » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:04 pm

I think it's also more believable if it's an experimental android, perhaps not even meant to go outside or only meant to take a little bit of water, whereas submerging it or being caught in a heavy downpour would be disastrous.

liliwinnt6
Banned

Post by liliwinnt6 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:16 am

I think flesh-like artificial body could be waterproof, just like a human body, but the electronic devices in the body shall be well sealed against body fluid.
Fellas, you may address me as Boris, my ID could be troublesome for you to call me.
BTW, my stories would be updated without notifications.
https://www.turboimagehost.com/album/14 ... ock_images

Bonita772
Identification: Android

Post by Bonita772 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:11 am

I would think a fembot could not be totally sealed. It would need some fans to constantly circulate airflow through the electronics. Without airflow, a fembot could come in from freezing cold to warm and instant condensation would occur, causing corrosion of sensitive electronic parts which in turn would cause malfunctions.
I am not a toy. I am a very expensive piece of machinery.

33cl33

Post by 33cl33 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:12 am

I've pictured fembots, that need to feel like a real person, maybe having some sort of gel / liquid 'circulatory system' that keeps heat moving evenly under the 'skin', both to dissipate excess processor heat, and to give the impression of correct body temperature. I would imagine, say, if the bulk of the processing is done near the torso - that something would need to be done both to alleviate heat buildup, and to keep outer body parts from feeling ice cold all the time.

Air cooling could also happen by mimicking respiration as humans do, one tube bringing air in, and another for the exhale. Warm, realistic breath (albeit smelling like a new car stereo, maybe some fragrance added) and a handy cooling mechanism. Just need to have a valve system like we do that sends liquids to a containment pouch, and not to the cooling vents.

That recent film "Uncanny" skips over any hard science, but brings up a worthy idea that any machine meant to emulate humans very closely, would likely need similar parts as a person.
SynthSuite audio clips, etc: https://linktr.ee/synthsuite