Is it ethical to create "Free Willed Androids"

General chat about fembots, technosexual culture or any other ASFR related topics that do not fit into the other categories below.

Re: Is it ethical to create "Free Willed Androids"

Postby Svengli » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:53 pm

Well, I had a discussion on Facebook about the dangers of AI and being a lazy bastard I'll just rewrite my comments.

1. If "the singularity" is the idea that "we'll just hand off our future to robots, because evolution" (or something) then someone looking at that idea for a few seconds would have to say "hey wait a second".

2. However, the idea that an AI or a computer would inevitably do terrible things because of the unintended of consequences of an order like "make things good" itself has some holes in it. One way to delineate the difference between humans and present day fragile AI systems is to notice that if you ask a person to do something, they'll enter into a dialog with you about how you want it done, what the other consequences of the actions would be etc. This ability to dialog is characteristic of the complex, multidimensional intelligence that allows humans to deal with multiple dimensions of a complex world whereas present day AIs can so-far only deal with narrow, specialized domains.

Most people have something like a model of the person they're speaking with and will only follow a request without comment if they're sure the results would leave the person happy and unsurprised. If you ask another person to "close the door", if not surprising results were in store, they'd just close the door but something surprising would result, they'd say something like "but your cat is in the doorway" or something similar.

Now, if AIs are able to improve, they will need to gain flexible intelligence and with it will need to come a similar ability to dialog. Thus the AI won't do some idiot maneuver like just taking an order to create a utopia, it would follow in a similar to a human subordinate, giving it's programmer a summary of the implications of order X.

3. It's worth nothing the danger of AI isn't that it won't do what people want but that it will do what people want, because many people want horrible things.

Postby Venitia » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:24 am

as much as I'd love sentient, free willed AI to exist, I hope it'll never happen. what happens in Detroit : become human or HUMANS says it all..humans would use them for awful things like prostitution or war. humans would damage them so bad....it'd be irresponsible to bring someone to the world only to be used as an object!

Postby Esleeper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Venitia wrote:as much as I'd love sentient, free willed AI to exist, I hope it'll never happen. what happens in Detroit : become human or HUMANS says it all..humans would use them for awful things like prostitution or war. humans would damage them so bad....it'd be irresponsible to bring someone to the world only to be used as an object!

Don't listen to that thinly veiled screed about slavery. Half of it is just hamfisted parallels to racial tensions that wouldn't even remotely be applicable to the reality of what would happen.

For a start, if robots were going to be made for such things without the clear expectation that they would be considered at least equal, they wouldn't even be made intelligent, let alone sentient. Sentient AI would only exist in situations where true companionship and human-equivalent intelligence would be absolutely necessary for it, and menial labor, prostitution, and war do not require those in the slightest. Those things need no more than what AI is capable of now- the ability to follow a strict set of rules in a manner where they can defer to a human operator for the rare situations that their programming does not cover. At most, they'd need no more mental capacity than a trained dog.
A list of my work: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13122

Postby Stephaniebot » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:47 pm

Esleeper wrote:
Venitia wrote:as much as I'd love sentient, free willed AI to exist, I hope it'll never happen. what happens in Detroit : become human or HUMANS says it all..humans would use them for awful things like prostitution or war. humans would damage them so bad....it'd be irresponsible to bring someone to the world only to be used as an object!

Don't listen to that thinly veiled screed about slavery. Half of it is just hamfisted parallels to racial tensions that wouldn't even remotely be applicable to the reality of what would happen.

For a start, if robots were going to be made for such things without the clear expectation that they would be considered at least equal, they wouldn't even be made intelligent, let alone sentient. Sentient AI would only exist in situations where true companionship and human-equivalent intelligence would be absolutely necessary for it, and menial labor, prostitution, and war do not require those in the slightest. Those things need no more than what AI is capable of now- the ability to follow a strict set of rules in a manner where they can defer to a human operator for the rare situations that their programming does not cover. At most, they'd need no more mental capacity than a trained dog.

Sad to say, that's still more mental capacity than I see from some humans on some forums. No, not this one, I might add, seems some sports talk seem to clog up human minds, lol, and make them non functional!
I'm just a 'girl' who wants to become a fembot whats wrong with that?

Previous

Return to Discussion