Fembot Central infected with malware

Important news and updates from the Fembot Central staff about the site.
(Only staff can start topics but members can post replies.)
User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Fembot Central infected with malware

Postby Robotman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:30 pm

It seems that Fembot Central has been hijacked to serve malware. This malware comes in the form of "scareware" and will try to trick you into downloading malware onto your own computer.

DO NOT click on any links that suddenly appear and tell you that you are infected with a computer virus.

If you think you may have been infected, then you should run an antivirus and an antispyware scan as soon as possible. Run a boot-scan to check for rootkits too.

If you don't have antivirus and antispyware software, then you should get some now. I suggest Avast antivirus and Spybot Search & Destroy. I have also heard good things about Malwarebytes and AVG.

If you want to visit Fembot Central safely, then I suggest the following:

1) DO NOT use Internet Explorer. Use a safer web browser like Firefox, Chrome, or Opera.

2) Use an addon for your browser that stops scripts from running automatically, like NoScript.

3) Use a computer made by Apple (iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc) or an Android smart phone or tablet.

4) Use an operating system other than Windows, like Linux, BSD, or Haiku. You can install some of these side-by-side with Windows on your computer. You can also run them in a "Virtual PC" within Windows. And you can also use a Linux "live CD" like the Linux Mint live CD.

The staff here are doing everything we can to fix this problem and ensure that it never happens again. If you have already gotten malware from Fembot Central though, you will need to fix problems on your own computer by yourself.

I can give advice on how to deal with this, as far as my knowledge in the area will help. Google is also invaluable. If you have any questions at all about how to search for and deal with malware, send me a private message (Image) and I will try to help you the best I can. I will log into FC as often as possible in the coming days to be of assistance.

On behalf of the staff here, we are very sorry that this has occurred. Please keep your guard up friends, and remember not to click on any scareware links!

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:12 pm

Here's some more help for those trying to diagnose and clean malware from a Windows PC.

It's a tool called "BootMed". It's a live CD that you can use to boot your computer without accessing Windows. You can run an antivirus scan of your hard drive and do some other tasks with it too.

There is some more information here.

Download it from Megaupload here...

...or torrent it from here.

You will need to burn a CD from the .iso image after it downloads (675MB). You will also need to make sure that your computer boots from the CD drive before the hard drive. There are instructions and tutorials available from the BootMed website.

Postby --Battery-- » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:26 pm

is it taken care of already?

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:46 am

Not yet. KOS-MOS is working on the problem:
KOS-MOS wrote:UPDATE:
I have identified a string of malicious code within our PHP files which I can confirm is targeting those browsing this site with Internet Explorer. I am working to identify its origins so I may properly remove it. Until then, I strongly advise using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Postby DukeNukem 2417 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:08 am

From now on, I'm using FireFox to look at this site.

Thanks for the heads-up, RobotMan.
"No one steals our chicks.....and lives!"

Postby rickdrat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 am

Been using Firefox for years. Ran Malwarebytes last night just to be safe. Appreciate you guys staying on top of it and keeping us in the loop.

Postby A.N.N. » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Yes, thank you for the heads up and for offering us all some good advice. I for one will take it seriously.

Also glad I'm using Chrome...

:wink:
A.N.N.

Return to Announcements