SPAM postings

Important news and updates from the Fembot Central staff about the site.
(Only staff can start topics but members can post replies.)
User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

SPAM postings

Postby Robotman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:45 pm

We seem to be getting a lot of spam postings here lately. The admins are trying to keep up with it as best we can, but it's impossible to delete it all as soon as it appears. It looks like the spam links to malicious websites that download and install trojan horse software or other nasty viruses. So as a precaution, I advise members to NOT click on any links if they seem out of place or off topic. Also, I personally recommend ditching Microsoft's browser and downloading the free Mozilla Firefox browser.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
Happy and safe surfing everyone. :wink:

Postby Karel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:37 am

Yeah, thanks for the heads up, Robotman. I've still got a freaking virus from one of those links. But how does Firefox protect you if you stupidly choose to download something off one of those sites (as I did)?

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:28 pm

Firefox will protect your computer against most of those trojans and viruses by virtue of it not being IE. Most of that malicious software is written to exploit flaws in Microsoft's browser, and since Firefox and Opera and other browsers don't use the same code, they're a lot safer. Not totally invulnerable, but safer.

Postby tinyspider » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:28 pm

Karel wrote:Yeah, thanks for the heads up, Robotman. I've still got a freaking virus from one of those links. But how does Firefox protect you if you stupidly choose to download something off one of those sites (as I did)?

Firefox will protect you from ActiveX trojans, spyware and viruses. Normally a downloaded file will not harm your PC unless you choose to install it. Here are 2 tips to keep your PC free of such risk (works with any windows version):
1- Open windows explorer and click on "Tools > Folder Options" Click on the "View" tab, then search and uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known files". That way, you will always see what kind of files you're downloading. Most trojans and viruses comes with an ".exe" and ".pif" extensions, but many disguise themselves by using file extensions and icons of normal files such as ".pdf" or ".jpg". By viewing file extensions on your downloaded files you should be able to recognize a fake such as "image.jpg.exe"

2- To be always on the safe side, never download a file which you didn't have the intension

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:46 pm

Thanks for the tips araenae. 8)
Here's a great news resource that deals with these issues:
http://news.zdnet.com/
Also, if you're using IE, it's a good idea to switch off your ActiveX components, except when you need them like on YouTube and other sites like that. Here's how you turn them off:
1) Open the Control Panel
2) Open Internet Options
3) Click on the Security tab
4) Click the Custom Level... button
5) Scroll down a bit and disable the follwing:
.....Download signed ActiveX controls
.....Download unsigned ActiveX controls
.....Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe
.....Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins
.....Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting
6) Click OK
That whole process is a real pain in the ass, but under IE6 it's the only way to stop ActiveX vulnerabilities. I've read that IE7 is a lot more secure, but I've also read it has a massive security flaw right out of the gate, and not one that can really be fixed either. :roll:
Most writers of malicious software target Microsoft software anyway, so the less MS you have on your computer the safer you are.

Postby Karel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:49 pm

Thanks guys.

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:36 pm

I don't really want to turn this into a 'beat-up-on-Microsoft' thread, but here's another example of MS's terrible security situation:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6133028.html
Since MS only releases patches for security flaws once a month, malicious hackers exploit the situation by releasing their viruses and such on the same day. Then a whole month goes by before Bill G and his boys do anything about it. :x

Return to Announcements