User avatars and board styles

Important news and updates from the Fembot Central staff about the site.
(Only staff can start topics but members can post replies.)
User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

User avatars and board styles

Postby Robotman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 pm

As you come back to Fembot Central and start posting again, you'll notice that your user avatar is missing. I wasn't able to back those up, so you'll have to re-upload them. To do that, go to the User Control Panel, click on the Profile tab, and then click Edit avatar.

Also, if you don't like the new black board style, you can choose from four other styles. While in the User Control Panel, click on the Board preferences tab, and then click on Edit global settings. You'll see the option there labeled "My board style". Just pick one of the five options and use whichever one you like.

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Re: User avatars and board styles

Postby Robotman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:53 pm

There's been a little snag with the board styles, and I've had to disable all but the default one. Sorry about that. We're looking into the problem, and we'll be fixing it ASAP.

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:01 am

I just made a couple of tweaks to the default board style: I fixed that link problem where visited links were the same colour as the surrounding text. They now appear blue. I also updated the site logo to match the wondrous animated png logo that csoloist made for FembotWiki. This is based on Nathan's original FC mascot. If you watch her eyes, they glow red. :lovestruck:

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Another style tweak: standard board links and unvisited links in posts are now purple. How does everyone rate the readability on this setup of the default styles?

Keep in mind, we're still working on bringing back the other four styles so you can choose from among those too.

Postby Gorgo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Just noticed. Was a pain in the ass to find the old avatar, so I made a new one. Learned something new about Microsoft Paint along the way!
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. warship approaching it: This is a lighthouse; your call.

Postby australopith » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Robotman wrote:Another style tweak: standard board links and unvisited links in posts are now purple. How does everyone rate the readability on this setup of the default styles?
I think the white on black as a default is still too glaring and hard to read—sorry.

It wouldn't matter, except I'm having a repeated problem where the site software logs me out when I switch from one subforum to another—even when I've ticked the "keep me logged in" box when logging in. In practice, this means that if white on black is the default, it will keep switching back to that even when I've chosen something else.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings. I'm incredibly glad that this site is back (and so are Lazy Phone and Perry!).

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Both problems are being addressed. There are four other different board styles available, but they're deactivated now because there's a problem with selecting them. Once that's been fixed, you'll be able to choose any of the five different board styles you like. The "logged-in" problem is also being worked on right now.

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:14 pm

Speaking of avatars, if you're really attached to the avatar you used to have on the old Fembot Central, you could try going on the Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive. They don't have every page of the old site archived, but they do have a few, so who knows - you may stumble across your old avatar.

User avatarSilkscreen
Alternate account

Postby Silkscreen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:40 pm

I think the biggest PITA of the default style is the user avatar/contact blocks are inbetween the individual posts instead of the right border.

User avatarRobotman
Fembot Central Staff

Postby Robotman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:06 pm

The other available styles handle that stuff in different ways too, so when they're reactivated, you will have some more options to consider.

Next

Return to Announcements